RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bigsauce

Jul 26, 2002, 1:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Paying Attention to Daylight - Lessons from the Stupid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

December 2001 Baboquivari's "Born of Water" Tucson, AZ
It's a 7 mile hike in to the base of the climb. We decided to do it the night before so we could wake up early and have all day to climb and then walk back off. Once we rapped/walked off the peak we knew we would have to hike the 7 miles back out in the dark. Not a big deal since there was a full moon (full moon+desert = Bright Light!) Unfortunately we were slowed down on our way in by a couple of reservation dogs who were following us. We didn't realize that these two half starved, dehydrated dogs were behind us until about three miles in. They would'nt leave and we felt bad for them so we stopped to give them water. We were late getting to bed and consequently late waking up in the AM. We decided to do the climb anyway and made it to the last pitch as the sun started to set. We got to the summit as the last bit of light left and the wind began to howl! It became overcast and pitch dark. There was no way to get off till morning so we sat down to ride the night out. We found a small nitch to get out of some of the wind and were able to make a small scrub fire. The wind was ferocious all night. With no sleeping bag, no tent, not much food or water we waited. I have never been so cold and uncomfortable in my life. The desert at night is cold enough, but to be at almost 10,000 ft in the winter during a wind storm without propper gear just plain sucks! A good lesson was learned though and I am now smarter for it. On a plus side, we got back down and hiked to where we had stashed our camping gear. One of the dogs had found our stuff and spent the night waiting for us to return. So of course we took her home and named her Quivari!!

climblouisiana

Jul 26, 2002, 2:50 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Paying Attention to Daylight - Lessons from the Stupid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did the "Southeast Arete?" on Baboquivari a few years back with my brother and some friends. Our plan was to hike in and climb it that day since my brother had a plane flight to catch in Tucson the next day. We got in and did the route and descended to the base but by the time we got to our packs it was totally dark. None of us had a headlamp so we tried to make our way out using lighters (ineffective in the wind). There was a slight moon out but it did not help us because the trees were so thick. We hiked for an hour but kept getting off trail so we finally decided to wait for morning. It was a cold, uncomfortable night without any jackets or food. We made it out the next morning and my brother made his flight but we still didn't learn the lesson to bring a light when in the back country.
Sometimes it just adds to the fun when you don't have that headlamp!

newtocalgary

Jul 26, 2002, 2:57 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we did a ice climb just outside of Banff rapping off it was dark (but smart enough to have headlamps) the problem is close to the highway I guess headlamps look like your waving for help with the constant head movement We had 7 cars stop and scream to see if we needed help including one park ranger and one RCMP another problem is with the traffic noise we could barely hear a thing

kevlar

Jul 28, 2002, 11:51 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sound like fun....

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook