Premier Sponsor:

meataxe

Sep 2, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #1 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

So, umm, the war REALLY *IS* about oil?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bush says oil fields ARE motivation for military occupation...

http://www.boston.com/...reason_for_iraq_war/

boondock_saint

Sep 2, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #2 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Re: So, umm, the war REALLY *IS* about oil? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't even listen to what he says anymore

you are right though. The war is about oil, just not what you'd think. Think about how much gas prices have soared since the start of the war. Bush and his oil-buddies are filling their pockets with money from this. War is the solution to any governments problem ... in the way of masking it. Kinda like orwells 1984, you gotta be at war with someone so the people don't give a shit about what you're doing to the country.

cloudbreak

Sep 2, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #3 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The war is about oil, just not what you'd think. Think about how much gas prices have soared since the start of the war. Bush and his oil-buddies are filling their pockets with money from this.

Please explain!?!

meataxe

Sep 2, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #4 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The war is about oil, just not what you'd think. Think about how much gas prices have soared since the start of the war. Bush and his oil-buddies are filling their pockets with money from this.

Please explain!?!

I think this refers to the possibility that war is used to increase uncertainty of supply and drive up the price of oil and in turn, drive up petro profits. I'm sure BD_S can correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't necessarily agree. While prices are partly driven by uncertainty, demand for oil has increased while analysts question whether supply can keep up.

Regarding the "war for oil", what I really think is this: Iraq under Saddam Hussein nationalized the oil industry. This meant that oil profits no longer went to Shell and Exxon, but rather went to the state. The war returned the status quo and made it possible for the petro companies to make money in Iraq again.

Add to that the documented ties between key members of the administration and the oil industry and the conspiracy seems plausible to me. We're talking about powerful politicians and industry players here--collusion is a healthy assumption. The stakes are huge! It doesn't matter what political party you are talking about. Why would Republicans be any less corrupt than Democrats? (Or vice versa.)

overlord

Sep 3, 2005, 8:24 AM
Post #5 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i hope this blows up in hes face. but i kinda doubt it will.

rufusandcompany

Sep 5, 2005, 8:32 AM
Post #6 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Regarding the "war for oil", what I really think is this: Iraq under Saddam Hussein nationalized the oil industry. This meant that oil profits no longer went to Shell and Exxon, but rather went to the state. The war returned the status quo and made it possible for the petro companies to make money in Iraq again.

This statement seems much closer to the truth, and it is significant, especially when you consider that Iraq harbors the second largest proven reserves of oil on the planet, just behind Saudi Arabia's.

It is clear that expedience motivated Bush's invocation of this farcical war. 9-11 was no more than a convenient excuse to exercise an agenda that had been on deck since the early nineties.

America needs to turn off American Idol, Fox News and other vacuous entertainment shows, immediately, and start to pay attention to the reality of this administration's agenda. Read the scholarship!!! Wake up!!! You have become the victims of an age-old power tactic - the dumbing down of the people by their leaders. Who do you think headed the FCC, during Bush's last term?

This administration's behavior would have spawned revolution in many countries around the world, yet we sleep, while they arrogantly fulfill their agenda. How do you think Bush and Cheney will be occupying their time after their term in office? Does it not surprise you that Cheney is one of the most absent Vice Presidents in the history of the office? It's not hard to imagine which desk he commandeers during most of his work week. Does Halliburton ring a bell?

I used to gasp every time Bush made one of his arrogant, duplicitous statements, but now my bewilderment is directed at the American public's incomprehension and/or apathy toward them.

KC

foxtrotuniform

Sep 6, 2005, 1:15 PM
Post #7 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
America needs to turn off American Idol, Fox News and other vacuous entertainment shows, immediately, and start to pay attention to the reality of this administration's agenda. Read the scholarship!!! Wake up!!! You have become the victims of an age-old power tactic - the dumbing down of the people by their leaders. Who do you think headed the FCC, during Bush's last term?

KC

Do you actually think the FCC has any control over Television journalism news content? Come on chief, you and I both know damn well what really controls the Television news... RATINGS!!

While your dissapointment in the American people dosen't suprise me, I am suprised that you see Television as a widespread medium for the stupification of all Americans. Everything's just got to be a evil conspiracy...

Seems like someone read 1984 a few too many times.

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #8 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="foxtrotuniform"]
In reply to:

KC

While your dissapointment in the American people dosen't suprise me, I am suprised that you see Television as a widespread medium for the stupification of all Americans. Everything's just got to be a evil conspiracy...

Ratings is an apple. The hypothesis of manipulation of media by this administration is an orange. BTW, I am wide awake, and I have been monitoring the changes in this country and reading the scholarship - not media sound-bytes - since Bush was sworn in.

Your argument about everything being an evil conspiracy is a tired one. It only seems like conspiracy to you, because you choose to see everything through status quo sunglasses. I am not alone in my perspective about this administrations behavior and what obviously appears to be a tacit agenda. Behavior does as behavior is, and some of Bush Administration's behaviors seem pretty transparent, if you look closely.

KC

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 4:17 PM
Post #9 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="foxtrotuniform"]
In reply to:

KC

Ratings is an apple. The hypothesis of manipulation of media by this administration is an orange. BTW, I am wide awake, and I have been monitoring the changes in this country and reading the scholarship - not media sound-bytes - since Bush was sworn in.

Your argument about everything being an evil conspiracy is a specious one. I am not alone in my perspective about this administrations behavior and what obviously appears to be a tacit agenda. Behavior does as behavior is, and some of Bush Administration's behaviors seem pretty transparent, if you look closely.

KC

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="foxtrotuniform"]
In reply to:

KC

Your argument about everything being an evil conspiracy is a specious one. I am not alone in my perspective about this administrations behavior and what obviously appears to be a tacit agenda. Behavior does as behavior is, and some of Bush Administration's behaviors seem pretty transparent, if you look closely.

KC

thorne
Deleted

Sep 6, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #11 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You keep saying you "read the scholarship". What does that mean?

You boast about being well-read, then display a poor understanding of the facts. Opec kicked the Seven Sisters out of the Middle East long before Saddam rose to power.

Partner tradman

Sep 6, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #12 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hullo Thorne. Not seen you in a while. Where you been?

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #13 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You boast about being well-read, then display a poor understanding of the facts. Opec kicked the Seven Sisters out of the Middle East long before Saddam rose to power.

And my climbing shoes a chartreuse and black. What does that statement have to do with anything? Your statement is a non sequitur.

thorne
Deleted

Sep 6, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #14 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And my climbing shoes a chartreuse and black. What does that statement have to do with anything? Your statement is a non sequitur.

Ooooo, dodgeball! What fun! My statements were separate points. Sorry you missed that.

So, what do you mean by "read the scholarship"? Truthout.org? Common Cause? Utne Reader? Or something more scholarly, like The Economist?

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #15 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

So, what do you mean by "read the scholarship"? Truthout.org? Common Cause? Utne Reader? Or something more scholarly, like The Economist?

- Bush’s Brain

- Of Little Faith

- The Right Nation: Conservative Power in America

- Losing America: Confronting a Reckless and Arrogant Presidency

- Against All Enemies : Inside America's War on Terror

- American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune, and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush

- Chain of Command

- The Patriot Act

- An Analysis of Possible Oil Industry Ownership Structures in Post-War Iraq, by Rebecca Fortson, Department of Economics, Department of International Affairs, The Florida State University

- "Ancient History": U.S. Conduct in the Middle East Since World War II and the Folly of Intervention
by Sheldon L. Richman

My question to you - considering the sarcastic nature of your comments - is: Do you really care about my opinion, or are you just exhibiting your distain for any point of view beyond your own?

This is only a very abridged list of scholarship that I have read, since this administration began it's first term in office. What is your background? From what sources have you formed your opinions, and to what extent have you done your homework? I would be interested in hearing your truthful answer, if that is possible.

KC

thorne
Deleted

Sep 6, 2005, 8:00 PM
Post #16 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you really care about my opinion, or are you just exhibiting your distain for any point of view beyond your own?

This is only a very abridged list of scholarship that I have read, since this administration began it's first term in office. What is your background? From what sources have you formed your opinions, and to what extent have you done your homework? I would be interested in hearing your truthful answer, if that is possible.

KC

I'm usually interested in rational opinions that offer a different point of view. The key word being rational. From what I've read of your posts, you come across as a rabid, foaming at the mouth, ultra-leftie. Your assertions remind me of the old phrase "just cuz' you're paranoid, doesn't mean no one is out to get you". Watching you dance around Maculated's posts painted a pretty clear picture of your style.

When it comes to "scholarship", you've clearly got me beat. I'm not a big reader of political, non-fiction books. However, I do study the health of the energies industry almost daily. It's part of my job. BTW I don't care if prices go up or down, only that I'm on board for the ride. Funny... none of the engergy analysts out there see Iraq as an oil grab, but it's practically a given among the far left.

When I read about conspiratorial notions regarding covert grabs for oil (especially when support is circumstancial), red flags pop up. I jus' gots to call bullshit.

As I've said before, there's a ton of provable things to rag on the Bush White House about. I don't get why so many anti-Bush types opt for the unproven.

rufusandcompany

Sep 6, 2005, 9:47 PM
Post #17 of 17 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Do you really care about my opinion, or are you just exhibiting your distain for any point of view beyond your own?

KC

I'm usually interested in rational opinions that offer a different point of view. The key word being rational. From what I've read of your posts, you come across as a rabid, foaming at the mouth, ultra-leftie. Your assertions remind me of the old phrase " , doesn't mean no one is out to get you". Watching you dance around Maculated's posts painted a pretty clear picture of your style.

When it comes to "scholarship", you've clearly got me beat. I'm not a big reader of political, non-fiction books. However, I do study the health of the energies industry almost daily. It's part of my job. BTW I don't care if prices go up or down, only that I'm on board for the ride. Funny... none of the engergy analysts out there see Iraq as an oil grab, but it's practically a given among the far left.

When I read about conspiratorial notions regarding covert grabs for oil (especially when support is circumstancial), red flags pop up. I jus' gots to call s---.

As I've said before, there's a ton of provable things to rag on the Bush White House about. I don't get why so many anti-Bush types opt for the unproven.

My arguments are non-rational? I am a rabid, foaming at the mouth, ultra-leftie? Just cuz' I'm paranoid? "According to whom - you?" Statements like that, directed at someone about who's background and political affiliations you know virtually nothing, should really serve to strengthen your argument. Your penchant toward assumption is quite remarkable.

Regarding red flags, mine are suddenly at full mast. I believe I smell a troll among us.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook