RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

zig_painting_n_climbing

Jul 3, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Bellefonte Quarry Access, Bellefonte, PA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I went climbing at Bellefonte for the first time today. I arrived this morning with my friends to the culdasac that leads to access the path. A nice neighbor living next door to the quarry came down to warn us about the access. He told us that someone died in the quarry last week jumping into the water off the cliff. He urged us to be careful as the local police do rounds of this area to chase people out. He also said to park at the baseball field and not in the culdasac as they started towing cars and that cars just indicate someone in the quarry. We moved our cars and headed in anyways as we had come a little ways to climb. We climbed all day and didn't run into any police but we got lucky. Be very careful if you decide to make a trip and don't draw any attention. The local residents don't seem to have a problem but say that police will take 4 wheelers and even patrol with helicopters.

arrettinator

Jul 3, 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #2 of 4 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bellefonte Quarry Access, Bellefonte, PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They're talking about making it public land, maybe a park or something.
It'd be great if that went through.

charley

Sep 3, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boulderingtom, I think, posted earlier this spring asking climbers to stay away from bellefonte because ppl were working on access for climbers. I think the access fund is involved. The folks I know around here are staying away.

dredsovrn

Sep 3, 2005, 5:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I didn't hit the right climbs, but I found the climbing at Bellefonte to be subpar, even by PA standards. It was glassy and sharp, less than picturesque, and didn't hold gear for crap. I found myself running things out because I knew the gear wouldn't hold anyway. I wouldn't make the trip again, even if it were open. The jumps into the quarry were outstanding however. Some of the jumps do look like they could kill you though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook