First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blondgecko

Sep 1, 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #26 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chimp and Human geonomes compared - Intel Design confirm [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, this is really interesting stuff.

In reply to:
The average number of protein-changing mutations per gene is just two, and 29% of human genes are absolutely identical. What is more, only a handful of genes present in humans are absent or partially deleted in chimps.

In reply to:
585 of the genes studied in this set – many involved in immunity to infections and reproduction – had more protein-altering mutations than silent ones. Mikkelsen believes these will be a good place to look for genes that make humans different from chimps.

"Silent" mutations are changes in the DNA which don't change the amino acid coded for - most amino acids are coded for by multiple base pair triplets, for instance proline is coded for by two cytosine bases followed by any of the four available bases - changes at this third site make no difference. In other cases, a change in a base pair will change the amino acid coded for, thus changing the structure of the resultant protein.

Searching out genes which have more "protein-altering" than "silent" mutations thus allows one to pick out genes whose mutations have been favoured by natural selection.

This is a simplification of the analytical procedure, but covers the basics.

silvermine

Sep 3, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #27 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know much about the ID thing, however if Darwin's evolution is correct then we have some serious unexplained shit to figure, ie: Bats, natures confusing little sods. hell everthything would make no sense. there has to be a guiding hand.

pinktricam

Sep 3, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #28 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You really have no idea at all what Intelligent Design is about, do you?

Sure I do... that's the unsupported fantasy that attempts to explain why 96% of you is chimp code. Its the fantasy the religious use when their other creation fantasies collapse under the weight of scientific fact.

DMT
Our human DNA differs from bat DNA by 4% as well....feeling nocturnal yet?

blondgecko

Sep 3, 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #29 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
You really have no idea at all what Intelligent Design is about, do you?

Sure I do... that's the unsupported fantasy that attempts to explain why 96% of you is chimp code. Its the fantasy the religious use when their other creation fantasies collapse under the weight of scientific fact.

DMT
Our human DNA differs from bat DNA by 4% as well....feeling nocturnal yet?

That's because every freaking mammal on earth is made up of more or less the same bits. All the same organs, same digestive enzymes (plus or minus one or two), same matrix proteins. We all have eyes, ears, nose, mouth, lungs, etc. etc. It's just the relative size, shape and quantity of all these bits that vary.

In other words, all mammals are simply a variation on a theme. It's really not that surprising that our DNA is so similar, because once you look past physical appearance, we are incredibly similar.

meataxe

Sep 4, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #30 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe God created not just every animal, but all the physical evidence to make it look like evolution. All the geologic strata, genetic divergence, plate techtonics, fossils, even scientific papers. All there just to fool you.

It's a test of your faith.

blondgecko

Sep 4, 2005, 9:35 PM
Post #31 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe God created not just every animal, but all the physical evidence to make it look like evolution. All the geologic strata, genetic divergence, plate techtonics, fossils, even scientific papers. All there just to fool you.

Yep, and maybe all this happened yesterday. After all, what proof do we have that it didn't?

Partner cracklover

Sep 4, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #32 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Show us some legitimate science to support ID, then you can cry bias.

Actually there are two legitimate ID scientists in the US. Legitimate in the sense that they do real research and publish their papers in peer-reviewed journals. There was a neat piece on them on NPR a couple of months ago, if you want to look it up.

Interestingly, each of them has a quite different version of ID - so both of them think the other one is wrong. But they're the best hope of ID, and they do do interesting work (supported by guess who).

GO

jackflash

Sep 5, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #33 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually there are two legitimate ID scientists in the US. Legitimate in the sense that they do real research and publish their papers in peer-reviewed journals.

Who? I know of only one peer-reviewed journal publication that favored ID, and as far as I remember it was solely an attack on evolution, foregoing any actual building of a theory of ID. The process by which this article came to be published is the source of the controversy in the other recent ID thread.

Many of the folks at the "Discovery" Institute publish in peer-reviewed journals, but they do so in other areas besides ID. Last I checked, Michael Behe, the only member of that whole crowd who's even come close to doing anything remotely interesting as far as ID is concerned, has only written ID material for popular publications: his peer-reviewed articles are in other subjects.

thegreytradster

Sep 5, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #34 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://images.ucomics.com/...ft/2005/ft050904.gif

blondgecko

Sep 5, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #35 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol:

meataxe

Sep 5, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #36 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yep, and maybe all this happened yesterday. After all, what proof do we have that it didn't?

Actually, it may have been Satan doing all sorts of stuff with genomes. Satan's doing it to lead us astray.

Or maybe... *satin* is leading astray, not *satan*. Trade in your sheets for cotton.

Or maybe it really is Satan... Miroslav Satan: http://www.nhl.com/.../player/8459534.html

He looks evil.

Partner tradman

Sep 6, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #37 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I think that would bother me quite a bit - the idea that God is just messing with us. Presumably then we'd get to heaven and he'd say, "you live a good life?" and we'd say, "yup" and he'd say, "you believe in dinosaurs?" and we'd say, "yeah course we did, there's fossils everywhere" and he'd shout "NOOOO! That was just a TEST! You idiots!" then we're all bound for the lake of fire....

I personally don't believe God works that way. He's not trying to catch you out. Stop worrying about it.

silvermine

Sep 6, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #38 of 38 (812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I am with tradman here, lets face it if the Dude (and I mean the BIG DUDE) goes to all this trouble to build us and the world and give us such great rock to climb, I think he is a little more grown up than trying to catch you out with a technicality on the way past the pearly gates.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook