Forums: Community: Campground:
Environmentalists.... the real reason for the oil shortage?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

reno

Sep 8, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Environmentalists.... the real reason for the oil shortage?
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2005/RAND_MG414.sum.pdf

Something to think about.... objectively, of course, without any preconcieved notions or political agendas.

timstich

Sep 8, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #2 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Re: Environmentalists.... the real reason for the oil shorta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an interesting article about some collusion that apparantly has been uncovered:

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=52755

Imagine the big oil company coopting the environmentalist agenda to destroy competition.

kriso9tails

Sep 8, 2005, 3:04 AM
Post #3 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought that oil shale was largely left alone for economic reasons. Isn't it a horribly inefficient process? The energy consumed in in process is something like 40% or what is yielded. Furthermore, even though the ecological impact can supposedly be reduced to that of conventional oil drilling , it would obviously diminish profits (though how substantially I'm not sure).

I don't really know much (or anything) about oil shale, so it looks like I have some reading to do, but even so, I wish as much effort was spent on conservation of resources as was spent on obtaining them. Then again, maybe my glass is just half empty... I feel so out of touch with the issues these days and I'm only twenty-something. :(

scrapedape

Sep 8, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno, do you even read this shit before you try to use it to demonize "environmentalists"?

In reply to:
Production Costs. Oil shale has not been exploited in the United States because the energy industry, after some halting efforts, decided that developing oil shale was economically unviable. Over the past two decades, very little research and development effort has been directed at reducing the costs of surface retorting. For thermally conductive in-situ retorting, costs might be competitive with crude oil priced at less than $30 per barrel, but the technical viability of in-situ retorting will not be fully established for at least six years.

thorne
Deleted

Sep 8, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #5 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the midpoint in our estimate range, 800 billion barrels, is more than triple the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, 800 billion barrels of recoverable resources would last for more than 400 years.

Sounds promising for most of the US, but I guess it would suck if you lived in the areas on top of these deposits.

I saw a guy from Rand talking about this on CNBC... probably the report author. He said the direct cost for converting shale to crude was around $40 per barrel. Crude is currently $64.00 per barrel, well off it's historic highs from last week of $70.80.

Back in '99 I was long crude at $11.50. I took a loss at $10.50. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

atg200

Sep 8, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #6 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone know if the exploration that has been happening near indian creek is oil shale? i know there is a ton of that stuff in the desert. be interesting to see how long the knuckledraggers on this site stay that way once more climbing areas are ripped up.

curt

Sep 8, 2005, 5:05 PM
Post #7 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyone know if the exploration that has been happening near indian creek is oil shale? i know there is a ton of that stuff in the desert. be interesting to see how long the knuckledraggers on this site stay that way once more climbing areas are ripped up.

You better hope not. I am currently experiencing the extremely small consideration that is given to a climbing resource that happens to sit above a copper deposit.

Curt

atg200

Sep 8, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #8 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup. i work in the mining industry, so i know just how good and efficient they are at steamrolling over small interest groups like climbers. its a damn shame, but no climbing area really stands much of a chance if a profitable deposit is found under it. doesn't really matter if it is copper at queen creek, silica at ibex, or oil in the colorado plateau - we will lose pretty much no matter what.

i just think i have a prediction about how the "wilderness is wastefulness" folks will switch sides if it is their own playground that is threatened.

oldrnotboldr

Sep 8, 2005, 6:18 PM
Post #9 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So add oil shale to the list of energy alternatives? What is the long range cost, to the environment, culture, economy, and every other aspect of life?

How about a hydro dam and a couple of nuclear plants on the Green and Snake rivers too?

boadman

Sep 8, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #10 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 400 years only applies if demand remains constant, which it won't unless some extraordinary changes are made in our transportation model. High prices are the only way to convince consumers to make changes, so hopefully, cheap oil shale won't come online for sometime. I wish prices would keep going up.

In reply to:
In reply to:
the midpoint in our estimate range, 800 billion barrels, is more than triple the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, 800 billion barrels of recoverable resources would last for more than 400 years.

Sounds promising for most of the US, but I guess it would suck if you lived in the areas on top of these deposits.

I saw a guy from Rand talking about this on CNBC... probably the report author. He said the direct cost for converting shale to crude was around $40 per barrel. Crude is currently $64.00 per barrel, well off it's historic highs from last week of $70.80.

Back in '99 I was long crude at $11.50. I took a loss at $10.50. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

blondgecko

Sep 8, 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #11 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During my undergrad chem eng degree, there was a compulsory environmental impact assessment course. As an assignment in this, we were asked to critically evaluate the environmental impact assessment for a real-life pilot-scale shale oil plant that was looking to expand to full-scale.

:shock:

That was some nasty shit. In a class of fifty chem, mining and environmental engineering students, nobody suggested that the plant should go forward. Sure enough, it was shut down the following year.

Shale oil is a dirty, dirty business. That 800 billion barrels of oil would generate something on the order of 2400 billion barrels of acidified, heavy metal-contaminated water (I can't remember the figures exactly). And, as pointed out, it is horribly inefficient. If we're reduced to that, then stop the planet. I want off.

Partner bill

Sep 8, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #12 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey blondgecko,

What do you know about producing diesel fuel from coal ? Apparently the Germans were doing it on a fairly large scale during WWII.

blondgecko

Sep 8, 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #13 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey blondgecko,

What do you know about producing diesel fuel from coal ? Apparently the Germans were doing it on a fairly large scale during WWII.

Not much, but I believe it's not much better than shale oil in terms of cleanliness or efficiency.

Coal gasification (treating coal with high pressure steam to get carbon monoxide and hydrogen), on the other hand, is being hailed in many parts as the next big thing in "clean" coal technology.

scrapedape

Sep 9, 2005, 3:01 PM
Post #14 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diesel and gasoline can be produced from coal via gasification and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. I believe this was the method used by the Germans in WWII and more recently by Sasol in South Africa. I see no reason that it should be any dirtier than coal gasification for power generation, and the FT diesel is generally much cleaner than petroleum diesel.

And reno, I'm still waiting for an answer to my previous question.

iltripp

Sep 9, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #15 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2005/RAND_MG414.sum.pdf

Something to think about.... objectively, of course, without any preconcieved notions or political agendas.

It's really funny to hear you say that... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

12volt_man

Sep 10, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #16 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fossil fuel consumption has become an addiction. It is the heroin of so called civilized nations. :roll:

remi

Sep 11, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #17 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
During my undergrad chem eng degree, there was a compulsory environmental impact assessment course. As an assignment in this, we were asked to critically evaluate the environmental impact assessment for a real-life pilot-scale shale oil plant that was looking to expand to full-scale.

:shock:

That was some nasty s---. In a class of fifty chem, mining and environmental engineering students, nobody suggested that the plant should go forward. Sure enough, it was shut down the following year.

Shale oil is a dirty, dirty business. That 800 billion barrels of oil would generate something on the order of 2400 billion barrels of acidified, heavy metal-contaminated water (I can't remember the figures exactly). And, as pointed out, it is horribly inefficient. If we're reduced to that, then stop the planet. I want off.

I went to the oil sands in Ft. Macmurray Canada and yeah, they use something like 2 barrels of water for every barrel of oil, plus however much natural gas to heat the water to boiling temps...they might have to turn off the fountains in Vegas if they want to do get at that shale...

Partner camhead

Sep 11, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #18 of 18 (915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't think so. The Green River formation that the shale is in is cretaceous era; Indian Creek is all early Jurassic and Triassic. From the article that reno linked, I gather that most of it is in NE Utah and NW Colorado, like around the Uintah Basin and White River areas.

The big problem I see with this is water. All of the oil shale deposits are in the Colorado drainage, and the Colorado River is already the most overalloted river in the nation. Where are the billions and billions of gallons necessary for production going to come from? Short of massive government subsidizing (like the New Deal-era dam building in the region), I don't think it can be economically produced.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook