Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Trad vs Sport vs Bouldering, a new way to look at it.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

jimmyjamal

Sep 14, 2005, 6:00 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Trad vs Sport vs Bouldering, a new way to look at it.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In my readings there seems to always be someone bag another for what and how they climb, then someone else comes along and starts to bag them. Trads real climbing, Sport is more pure bla bla bla. Has anyone else ever thought that the only really good climbers (not defined by the grade they climb) are the ones who love to go for a boulder in the afternoon, who love to spend a day on trad routs AND who love to spend a bit of time working sport routs. What do you all think, am i right or should i check myself into ward 44?

climbing_steve

Sep 14, 2005, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad vs Sport vs Bouldering, a new way to look at it. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I know is that I absolutely love climbing. Feeling the rock on my hand, doing what should not be possible to all others. I was origionally a boulderer, turned sport, now trad, and then also back to bouldering. There is a certain feeling that only rock can give that makes you come back, no matter how you do it.

That's the way I see it.

superbum

Sep 14, 2005, 7:32 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree wholeheartedly...I love to sport climb, chill fun days, taxing the muscles...There is nothing like the feeling of running it out over a blue alien, all while dealing with a visit from elvis...Bouldering is about as pure movement and fun as you can get...I live for that 6 mile approach past alpine lakes to solo a fourth class gully and be alone with the world on some lonely summit...Ice is scary, hard, cold, but unique, insane and wonderful...But the BEST (for me....) is slab...whether it is above a bolt, a nut, or a crashpad, nothing zeros in my body and mind like feeling like you are gonna ooze at any moment. Whoever you are and whatever you think is "better" climbing wise...get on a slab. You won't have the room to think of anything else.

dima

Sep 14, 2005, 8:44 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't care what other climb. If I had enough money - I would climb trad, but now I'm enjoying with good ol' sport

ajkclay

Sep 14, 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, seeing as that's what I do, I would have to say that you are spot on!

DEFINITELY the best climbers do this :P

Partner jammer

Sep 14, 2005, 1:15 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Over the years, and many many threads, I still find myself annoyed when the debate starts. Climbing is climbing... Rock is rock, and even if they have variations, climbing is still climbing and rock is still rock. Only the elitist will argue which is better. Not being good enough to be an elitist, I say frack it and climb!

Partner j_ung

Sep 14, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
frack it

Battlestar Galactica?

Partner jammer

Sep 14, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
frack it

Battlestar Galactica?

Nice!! It's nice to see another SiFi brother out there! They use this terminology enough for it to be in Websters ...

dingus

Sep 14, 2005, 2:31 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to a job site bro, a construction site, say a housing projects.

To build a house you have to involve all sorts of people. Concrete work involves the Mud People. Framing involves The Nail Pounders. The top of the house requires Roofers. Cabinet makers, painters, well, you get the pic.

The Mud People love to give the Nail Pounders shit. Electricians hold themselves (and their noses) above the plumbers. And on and on. Mostly the ribbing is good natured, but guilds have been with humanity for more than 2 thousand years and no idle 'why can't we all just get along' posted to the internet makes a tinkers dam in the whole thing.

People are people and we are going to give our brethren shit. I'm sorry if you don't like that. Maybe you're a sport climber at heart?

DMT

Partner jammer

Sep 14, 2005, 2:59 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know the game, dingus. It's when people get all tied up and serious like that bothers me. BTW ... painters makes everyones work look good!

tenesmus

Sep 14, 2005, 3:38 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Love doing it all. I wanna be really good at all of it, but mostly I'm mediocre at best. Just psyched to climb. How great is it to acquire all of the various skills you get from being an all-arounder?!

dingus

Sep 14, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know the game, dingus. It's when people get all tied up and serious like that bothers me. BTW ... painters makes everyones work look good!

Cheers man!

The ones who take it too seriously are idiot losers anyway. Nothing to be done for them either.

DMT

thesean

Sep 14, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were able to deal with exposure without freaking out, I'd love all of climbing. For me, jetting off to boulder for a few hours is one of the greatest ways to spend my time. I have friends who love trad, and I have Friends who love sport, but none of us look down on the others... as far as I know!

watchme

Sep 14, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guy used to work and climb with some is quoted in my signature. That's how I feel about this.

The thing that I find funny is, if someone is a "trad climber", does that mean that they are above squeezing in a quick bouldering session afterwork?

My weekend plans are usually hatched like this:

Me calling a friend: "Hey, let's go CLIMBING this weekend"
Friend: "Sure, where to you want to go?"

What style we do is the little detail we work out later. Sometime we grab a pad, sometimes a few draws, sometimes the whole rack.

builttospill

Sep 14, 2005, 6:49 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a debate that will never end. Like the example Dingus provided, I'm familiar with one that may even be more similar.

Running collegiate track (and high school before that), there were always arguments between distance runners and the sprinters (and to a lesser extent the jumpers and throwers). Sprinters could be related to boulderers/sport climbers.....lots of strength, power, etc. But we regarded their workouts as jokes, and we made fun of them because their race lasted 22 seconds tops and that took no guts.

We felt better than them. Of course, they could crank out 11 second 100's in practice and some of them ran 10.3 or better for 100m, and when our coaches had us doing sprints I was lucky to run a 100 in under 14 seconds. The good-natured (sometimes not so good-natured) ribbbing usually turned around on those days.

It's the exact same argument and it will perpetuate itself forever. Both disciplines are difficult in entirely different ways and you should learn to accept that.

locker

Sep 14, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

njoy what you do and let others do the same..........it's simple......the word is Respect............

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook