Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sypher2049

Sep 8, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Belay Station's WTF
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im only looking for an alternative to what I am doing now. I dont want to leave gear on the wall. When I finish a climb there is nothing more annoying when there is no belay station already set up with a bener or chains. So I end up leaving my own gear up there. Or sometimes there the end of the route is only one (1) bolt. WTF is that. No double bolt. no chains. Nothing but 1 Freaken bolt. Ya I feel safe being lowered on that. What i am getting at is there any "tricks of the trade" someone that can throw a "hey ive done this" or "hey I do that"..... I dont mind leaving gear I just dont like making a habit out of it.

mustclimb69

Sep 8, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #2 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Re: Belay Station's WTF [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This has come up a number of times, the texas rope trick will work but takes some skill and a bail biner or to save money a screw link from a hardware store cheaper ans easy to use.

Cheers

mcfoley

Sep 8, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #3 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smell a TROLL...
But I'll bite...

WFT...WTF are you talking about?
"belay station" at the TOP of a route???
ever heard of a WALK OFF!!!
Ask the person who put up the route!!!
What are the local ethics for the area?
Or like the previous response, buy a quick link and RAP off that manky bolt... don't get lowered off...

mcfoley

Sep 8, 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #4 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah!!!
...and Quit yer bitchin'!!!

sypher2049

Sep 8, 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #5 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well first off McFoley,

not all routes end at the top of the rock. And second its a little hard to talk to the person who made the route since there arent any guide books in Crete, and it kinda helps if you speak the language here. And third, correct me if I am wrong, I have only been climbing for a few months, but isnt the place at the end of a route called a belay station? so you can belay your partner up, or set up to top rope, or even lower yourself. You know the place where there are usually two bolts connected together with a sling, or chain. And I wasnt bitchen, I was making a comment. But hey thanks for caring. Keep Climbing.

asuclimber

Sep 8, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #6 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This weekend someone showed me a trick that might be what you are looking for:

1. Find the middle of your rope, make a bight, and thread the bight around whatever you are going to anchor to. (so you don't actually thread the single strand of rope through, but the whole bight)

2. Now you should have a bight and two strands of rope on opposite sides of your anchor.

3. Pull 1 Strand through the bight/loop, creating another bight.

4. Pull Strand 2 down to tighten this slip knot.

5. Pull Strand 2 (the same one you just pulled to tighten, through the new bight) and pull Strand 1 to tighten.

6. Pull Strand 1 through the new bight, repeat steps 3-5, untill you have a chain of slip knots.

7. Leave the last bight/tail a foot or two long.

8. Rap down the strand that does not realease last bight when pulled. (this will be fairly obvious when you see it)

9. To release the knot alternatingly pull down the two strands of cord to pop out each slip knot in the chain (pull1-pop, pull2-pop), repeat untill the knot releases.

Although you are only rapping on a single strand, you will need to be able to reach both strands afterwards to release the knot. Notice the knot cannot fail unless both strands are tugged in alternating succession. If the large tail gets pulled through for whatever reason, the knot will "lock" on the next slipknot.

I do not know what this knot is called (the mag... knot or something, i think), but it seems like it would work. It would be interesting to hear if anyone knows exactly what knot it is, and how it affects the breaking strength of the rope.

sypher2049

Sep 8, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #7 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh ya I dont think I made myself clear on my OP. When there is only one bolt at the end of a route. What do some of you all do when you lower yourself. SAFELY. cleaning your route on your way down. I never thought about the screw bolts I like that. thanks

wjca

Sep 8, 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #8 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not all climbs are going to be set like a gym climb. Sometime you're gonna have to leave gear. That is the price to climb that route. If you don't like adventure climbs, stay in the gym or find more established crags. On routes with two bolts for you to rap off of, someone has had to leave gear. Better them than you though I guess.

Oh yeah!!!
...and Quit yer bitchin'!!!

tradmanclimbs

Sep 8, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #9 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is only one bolt and no walkoff you have a few choices.
#1. Bolt looks good . leave a screw link or old biner, tape the gate shut with sport tape and rap 8^)
#2. bolt looks pretty funky. back it up with your own gear. the Fat guy (or the leader) raps first and the skinny guy (or the second) cleans the back up and raps verry smoothly :?
#3 the bolt is totaly bogus, old 1/4" buttonhead with leaper hanger so rusted it looks like it is about to crumble. back it up with stoppers and leave as much gear as is nessicary to stay alive.
#4 bolt sucks dog snot but no crack in sight for gear, too hard and run out over more bogus crap to downclimb. leave bail biner and pray a lot while you rap. If your both up there you may want to unclip from the rap while your partner raps :shock: This yeller technique may keep you alive at least temporarily if the anchor blows and kills your partner :twisted:
#5 You know the anchor sucks so you bring a bolt kit up there and fix it 8^)

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 9, 2005, 1:16 AM
Post #10 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what my friend did when climbing new routes with me:

- Notice that your newbie partner was told to buy BD ovals and/or d biners when they asked "what biners should I buy?" And that they have several; more than any non-leader needs, to rack that gear they bought too soon, because they wanted to practice placements....

- Extoll the virtues of the keygate biner to this person at your earliest opportunity. Do NOT wait until the moment when you need a leaver biner; they will clearly see through the ruse. Aallow them to borrow a few key gates when you are with them, so they can see for themselves how utterly clumsy those notch gates are in comparison

- Next time you have to bail off a route (or create an impromptu station), tell them someone must sacrifice a biner for the good of the many, and it might as well be the shitty notch gated one, and that they should think of it as a good thing, because with enough of these situations, they will soon need to buy new biners, and can then buy key gates.....

Partner brent_e

Sep 9, 2005, 2:13 AM
Post #11 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw this in climbing (or one of those...R+I???), anyway. Bring another rope up and rappel off the anchor with it or off of a leaver piece. BUT, don't go off belay; clean your gear on rap while your belayer takes in rope - if something fails you have all your pro backing you up and you face a fall no great than if you were leading the route. In the mag they used a 7mm rope as a rap rope (cheaper, perhaps? Lighter for sure).

Best

Brent

jimdavis

Sep 9, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #12 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not all climbs are going to be set like a gym climb. Sometime you're gonna have to leave gear. That is the price to climb that route. If you don't like adventure climbs, stay in the gym or find more established crags. On routes with two bolts for you to rap off of, someone has had to leave gear. Better them than you though I guess.

Oh yeah!!!
...and Quit yer b----'!!!

Or you can replace the hangers with rap rings...

joeforte

Sep 9, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #13 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradman's post was just about the funniest post I have ever seen on the internet. I laughed harder and harder with each line, by the end I was in tears!!!!! EVERYONE must see this post! Imagining all those situations is so rediculous...... especially the last one... thats so funny! Hate to be the first guy!

mcfoley

Sep 9, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #14 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok sorry for the rant before...
It comes down to being responsible for yourself...expect the worst.
If you don't like what you are finding (no bolts/chains) then install some.

$hit...It's Crete afterall...who cares!!! (just kidding!!!)

daithi

Sep 9, 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #15 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or sometimes there the end of the route is only one (1) bolt. WTF is that. No double bolt. no chains.

Are you sure you have actually reached the end of the route? :) Those routes sound pretty poorly equipped.

tradmanclimbs

Sep 9, 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #16 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe, If you haven't uncliped from the anchor while your partner raps you probobly haven't climbed in the desert much 8^) We bailed off of drilled angles in Zion once that were so loose that you could pull them out with your fingers and slip em back in again :shock: Did a lot of praying slithering down that rap trying my verey best to NOT put any outward pressure on the rope :? Another fine rap station in Nevada was missing the nuts that were supposed to hold the hangers on the 1/4" studs in crumbly sandstone :( the hangers were held on with sport tape and the rock was crumbled arround the studs so they flexed downward when weighted :shock: If I knew then how short 1/4 in studds are I would have downclimbed 30 ft and left a 3.5 friend in the splitter!!! Our basic rule at the time was the leader gets to rap first with the back up and the second MUST clean the back up and pray :roll: I am a lot smarter these days and don't mind leaveing enough gear to stay alive 8^)

vanclimber

Sep 9, 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #17 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man greece sounds ghetto. If there was only one bolt at the top of a climb here, I would keep climbing until I found the other ;)

Partner epoch

Sep 9, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #18 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If you're that concerned then don't climb it until your manky ass is 84 pounds and you don't have to worry about breaking anything.

Partner j_ung

Sep 9, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #19 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I saw this in climbing (or one of those...R+I???), anyway. Bring another rope up and rappel off the anchor with it or off of a leaver piece. BUT, don't go off belay; clean your gear on rap while your belayer takes in rope - if something fails you have all your pro backing you up and you face a fall no great than if you were leading the route. In the mag they used a 7mm rope as a rap rope (cheaper, perhaps? Lighter for sure).

Best

Brent

This is a good trick to have in your bag. But if the potential lead falls on the route are unclean (ledges, what have you), then it may be safer to rap off the single bolt. Kinda depends on the situation, bolt, etc. Here's a link to Luke Laeser's Climbing Magazine Tech Tip.

http://climbing.com/techtips/tttrad241-2/

leavingne

Sep 14, 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #20 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This weekend someone showed me a trick that might be what you are looking for:
. . . repeat steps 3-5, untill you have a chain of slip knots.
. . .
Although you are only rapping on a single strand, you will need to be able to reach both strands afterwards to release the knot.
I understand what you're saying, but what's that good for? The only advantage I see (over threading one strand thru to the halfway point and rapping on both strands) is that when it's time to pull the rope you do your alternating pulling dance and then only have to pull a little bit of rope thru instead of half the length. I guess it may save rope wear if the anchor is sharp, but if so do you really want to rap off it?

njb

Sep 14, 2005, 5:36 AM
Post #21 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Joe, If you haven't uncliped from the anchor while your partner raps you probobly haven't climbed in the desert much 8^) We bailed off of drilled angles in Zion once that were so loose that you could pull them out with your fingers and slip em back in again ...

Well, that just spooked the crap out of me.

robbleebob

Sep 14, 2005, 5:41 AM
Post #22 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Joe, If you haven't uncliped from the anchor while your partner raps you probobly haven't climbed in the desert much 8^) We bailed off of drilled angles in Zion once that were so loose that you could pull them out with your fingers and slip em back in again ...

Well, that just spooked the crap out of me.

me too :shock: you da man!! :!:

zao479

Sep 15, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #23 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could always add a second bolt, and some chains would be a good idea. If you climb a route that needs work stop waiting for everybody else to do it.

tragic_photography

Sep 23, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #24 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it has at least a pin scar within 20 feet of the last bolt, place two nuts in it, and rap off. Don't forget to remove all the bolts on the way down...

Don't install anymore chains or bolts then you have to people. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Bolts every 5 feet on a 5.7 slab are not really needed.

jacobbelsher

Sep 23, 2005, 8:22 AM
Post #25 of 30 (8261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well first off McFoley,

And I wasnt b----, I was making a comment. But hey thanks for caring. Keep Climbing.

you were definitely bitching, friend.
PS. don't be such a pansey

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook