Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 20, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #26 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Re: Suing a gear manufacturer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe it's my reading comprehension, but I am getting the idea that personal responsibility has been thrown right out the window by some of the posters in this thread.

Ever tried telling someone who is not *the climbing sort* about one of your edgier climbs(if you've ever done any, that is)? Did you noticed the look on their face - one of utter incomprehension as to why you would find it so intriguing to do such an, in their minds, idiotic thing as to climb rocks, and what's more, to knowingly take risks that most people would consider a bad gamble?

That there is a discussion here that is tantamount to the equation of Hot coffee + McDonald's = possible coinage...... Congratulations! This thread has earned the Happiegrrrl Seal of Disgust.

Climbing and it's technical development has a quite interesting history. Back when the ropes were made of hemp, or even when hanging in a swami too long meant death if the person fell, people accepted the fucking risk as their own. They didn't look to blame the rope or web manufacturer.
...beginning to wonder if all this excess chalk on the cliffs isn't the result of people thinking Sack is the little bucket thing on their ass that they stick their hand in and - viola! - a reduction in the nervous sweat pouring off their hands when they're sketched......

asandh

Sep 20, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #27 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

scrapedape

Sep 20, 2005, 4:23 PM
Post #28 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That there is a discussion here that is tantamount to the equation of Hot coffee + McDonald's = possible coinage...... Congratulations! This thread has earned the Happiegrrrl Seal of Disgust.

I'm flattered.

What if you bought a cup of coffee from Mickey D's, and the bottom fell out of the cup. You get a lapful of boiling coffee and are burned pretty badly.

Is that and issue of sacking up and taking personal responsibility, or is it the failure of a product to perform as intended and promised, resulting in injury?

deschamps1000

Sep 20, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #29 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is blatently the gear's fault, ask the manufacturer to cover medical expenses, etc.

We need to keep lawsuits out of this sport.

What's next, sueing your belayer for dropping you?

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 20, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #30 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I'm flattered.

What if you bought a cup of coffee from Mickey D's, and the bottom fell out of the cup. You get a lapful of boiling coffee and are burned pretty badly.

Is that and issue of sacking up and taking personal responsibility, or is it the failure of a product to perform as intended and promised, resulting in injury?

The cup broke...awe....sucks to have coffee stains on yer khakis. Actually, the scene you mention happens in the city I am from, on occassion, though more often it would be the cup that the guy who runs the corner coffee cart and not the corporate giant.

So, sue him. Ruin his life, because you had a scare, or make sure your mom knows who to go after if you have died because the coffee scorched you and you accidentaly jumped in front of a fast-moving bus in the chaos.

Money can't buy everything......

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #31 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As an interesting aside, the facts in the McDonalds coffee case are quite different from what people think they are. The woman wasn't burned by hot coffee. She was burned by 180+ degree coffee that was handed to her with the lid not on correctly.

On topic, I'm not a big fan of suing gear manufacturers, and you'll have an uphill battle to prove the gear actually failed with no user error. But, if I went toproping (haha) and the rope just pulled apart in the middle, dropping me and breaking my legs, I'd sue. I've got no problem with personal responsibility, but that doesn't absolve the manufacturer of safety gear from any responsibility.

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2005, 4:39 PM
Post #32 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

A quick google search turned up a quick synopsis of the McDonald's coffee case for those interested. 8^)

crimpandgo

Sep 20, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #33 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe it's my reading comprehension, but I am getting the idea that personal responsibility has been thrown right out the window by some of the posters in this thread.

Ever tried telling someone who is not *the climbing sort* about one of your edgier climbs(if you've ever done any, that is)? Did you noticed the look on their face - one of utter incomprehension as to why you would find it so intriguing to do such an, in their minds, idiotic thing as to climb rocks, and what's more, to knowingly take risks that most people would consider a bad gamble?

Climbing and it's technical development has a quite interesting history. Back when the ropes were made of hemp, or even when hanging in a swami too long meant death if the person fell, people accepted the f---ing risk as their own. They didn't look to blame the rope or web manufacturer.
...beginning to wonder if all this excess chalk on the cliffs isn't the result of people thinking Sack is the little bucket thing on their ass that they stick their hand in and - viola! - a reduction in the nervous sweat pouring off their hands when they're sketched......

Although, I tend to agree with you. Each climber must take responsibility for their actions. Our times have changed. There are lots of gear vendors making tons of money by selling products to the end user. You can't tell me that one vendors product cost twice as much as another vendors due to the quality of the product alone. No, its also the brand name and the trust vendors put into users that their product is better and safer.

sure people take personal responsibility. But the vendors also taught safety and superiority or their product in an interest in getting you to buy it to make money. This same greed factor can lead to unethical manufacturing practices if not kept in check. I dont advocate sueing except in extreme cases, but the threat of law suits is one of the only ways to keep moneyhungry manufacturers in check.

Doubt you will find back in the days when hemp ropes were popular that the manufacturer was rolling in money. Their motivations were different. I believe the end user took a different view on the subject because of this.

scrapedape

Sep 20, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #34 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At that point, Mr. Goens and the other jurors knew only the basic facts: that two years earlier, Stella Liebeck had bought a 49-cent cup of coffee at the drive-in window of an Albuquerque McDonald's, and while removing the lid to add cream and sugar had spilled it, causing third-degree burns of the groin, inner thighs and buttocks. Her suit, filed in state court in Albuquerque, claimed the coffee was "defective" because it was so hot.

What the jury didn't realize initially was the severity of her burns. Told during the trial of Mrs. Liebeck's seven days in the hospital and her skin grafts, and shown gruesome photographs, jurors began taking the matter more seriously. "It made me come home and tell my wife and daughters don't drink coffee in the car, at least not hot," says juror Jack Elliott.

Even more eye-opening was the revelation that McDonald's had seen such injuries many times before. Company documents showed that in the past decade McDonald's had received at least 700 reports of coffee burns ranging from mild to third degree, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

http://www.vanfirm.com/...s-coffee-lawsuit.htm

Seems it's possible to get a little more than a scare and a stain on the khakis.

A lawsuit seems justified to me, if the product's defective.

speedywon

Sep 20, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #35 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why stop with the gear manufacturor. Sue the local government for allowing climbing at the crag in the first place. Then, go after the route's FA'st for setting such a dangerous route. Now, sue the crap out of your first ever climbing partner for not training you to be a better climber so you wouldn't have fallen in the 1st place. Finaly, go after both of your parents for allowing you to climb in the first place.

I'm sure I left out a few key lawsuits, but you can always hit them up ten years down the road for the ongoing emotional trauma they caused you.

Ooh, last minute thought. What are the chances of winning a suit against God for making the cliff? I bet he has a LOT of money.

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #36 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, if you're driving along and your car bursts into flames, you wouldn't sue the car manufacturer? Cause after all, driving is dangerous.

And in Kansas, you're more likely to get hurt in a car than on a rock. :P

crimpandgo

Sep 20, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #37 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why stop with the gear manufacturor. Sue the local government for allowing climbing at the crag in the first place. Then, go after the route's FA'st for setting such a dangerous route. Now, sue the crap out of your first ever climbing partner for not training you to be a better climber so you wouldn't have fallen in the 1st place. Finaly, go after both of your parents for allowing you to climb in the first place.

I'm sure I left out a few key lawsuits, but you can always hit them up ten years down the road for the ongoing emotional trauma they caused you.

Ooh, last minute thought. What are the chances of winning a suit against God for making the cliff? I bet he has a LOT of money.

Now you are talking about ambulance chasing... Dont think that was the intent of the original thread IMHO. but your point is well taken. There seems to be some "extra" implied responsibility that is attached to the manufacturers. I still think that comes from too many manufatcurers that are driven by greed and have knowingly put products on the market with known defects.

Of course it could simply stem from the fact that the "Attorney" section of the phone book is about 25% of the entire phone book and all those lawyers need to make their millions somewhere.

olderic

Sep 20, 2005, 6:51 PM
Post #38 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, if you're driving along and your car bursts into flames, you wouldn't sue the car manufacturer? Cause after all, driving is dangerous.

Same mentality as when you wanted to return your girlfriend's torn pants. It's bad luck but I will never buy into the idea that it is society's responsibility to compensate you for it. Each of these lawsuits, frivolous or with complete merit, result in us all paying. Choose very carefully...

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #39 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Same mentality as when you wanted to return your girlfriend's torn pants. It's bad luck but I will never buy into the idea that it is society's responsibility to compensate you for it. Each of these lawsuits, frivolous or with complete merit, result in us all paying. Choose very carefully...

Well, your philosophy will result in lots of dangerous products on the market, if there's no liability for things likely to harm people.

Further, if someone is indigent, injured and then can't work, the rest of us will all pay to support that person for the rest of their life.

I agree 100% that frivolous suits are a problem and often amount to nothing more than a shakedown, but that doesn't seem to be your entire argument.

snoopy138

Sep 20, 2005, 7:02 PM
Post #40 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Each of these lawsuits, frivolous or with complete merit, result in us all paying.

As we should. If we're going to contribute to a defective and dangerous product being commercially viable, why shouldn't we be paying the costs associated with that product? If I'm going to buy a cam, I'd rather pay an extra fifty cents (and have every other purchaser pay that) as insurance that if it fails I will be compensated for my injuries.

clayman

Sep 20, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #41 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason for posting this thread was mostly just curiosity, I'm not looking to sue anybody. I was reading some other older post about how someone was trying to lay blame on CCH because their alien "popped out". I found this ridiculous. But, that made me think of the situation were what if the gear failed on account of a manufacturing flaw, (yes I know hard to prove, but that's not my point). I'll state that I take full responsibility for myself and other people I climb with and 99.99999999% of accidents are user error, but if I was sure an accident was the result of true gear failure, I might sue, especially if the accident was severe or fatal. I do think that gear companies also have a responsibility, the same way a car manufacturer has towards say seat belts.

olderic

Sep 20, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #42 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Each of these lawsuits, frivolous or with complete merit, result in us all paying.

As we should. If we're going to contribute to a defective and dangerous product being commercially viable, why shouldn't we be paying the costs associated with that product? If I'm going to buy a cam, I'd rather pay an extra fifty cents (and have every other purchaser pay that) as insurance that if it fails I will be compensated for my injuries.

What if it's not fifty cents but $50 (on a ~$50 cam) - look at the price of downhill ski tickets and the percenmt that goes towrds insurance. What if the company goes out of business? What if we loose access to the area?
How about the case where there is a known defect and the manufacture issues a recall but you weren't aware of it and were injured/killed as a result.

I am not saying that every suit regarding equipment failure is frivolous - if it can be demonstrated that the manufacturer was aware of a defect and did nothing to rectify it then there are certainly grounds. But what you are suggesting is a form of compulsary insurance hidden in the overall cost. I don't want to buy into it - if you do that is fine -buy some explicit insurance.

I still feel that caveat emptor should be the rule not the exception - especially in a climbing context.

memory_hole

Sep 20, 2005, 7:52 PM
Post #43 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The way that I see it, we are already purchasing a form of insurance. Built into the cost of our equipment is the cost of the manufacturer's quality assurance program. These QA practices are critical to the manufacturer's ability to consistently provide a safe product, and where they are insufficient, the manufacturer is exposing their customers to unnecessary physical danger and themselves to the danger of lawsuits.

edited to add: And a manufacturer doesn't necessarily need to know that they are marketing an unsafe product to be negligent. If current good manufacturing practices dictate safety or consistency testing that the manufacturer isn't doing, then they are probably still culpable. Ineptitude just isn't, and shouldn't be, a sufficient excuse.

crimpandgo

Sep 20, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #44 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What if it's not fifty cents but $50 (on a ~$50 cam) - look at the price of downhill ski tickets and the percenmt that goes towrds insurance. What if the company goes out of business? What if we loose access to the area?
How about the case where there is a known defect and the manufacture issues a recall but you weren't aware of it and were injured/killed as a result.

I am not saying that every suit regarding equipment failure is frivolous - if it can be demonstrated that the manufacturer was aware of a defect and did nothing to rectify it then there are certainly grounds. But what you are suggesting is a form of compulsary insurance hidden in the overall cost. I don't want to buy into it - if you do that is fine -buy some explicit insurance.

I still feel that caveat emptor should be the rule not the exception - especially in a climbing context.

You can be pretty sure that if it becomes proven that folks are getting seriously injured due to faulty equipment, the company will go out of business even if they dont get sued. Word travels fast and people are not gonna buy their product.

So, really, its not the law suit that is going to motivate the manufatcturer soley. Its people getting the word out about how the product performs.

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 20, 2005, 8:16 PM
Post #45 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) I myself am aware of the specifics of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. I was alluding to the idea that we are a lawsuit-happy populace. But, I certainly can understand that people would choose to point out the nuances of the actual case.

2) Gear manufacturers making *tons* of money? I'm not so sure this is the case...... From what I understand, most innovations in climbing gear are designed and developed to some point by regular old(although usually quite hard) climbing bums. Not so long ago, they forged the pieces themsel;ves, but now are more likely to take their prototype to an established company and work in conjunction to bring it to the rest of us.
I don't think a venture capitalist would think twice about passing by on the opportunity to get into a climbing gear business on the ground floor..... But, one reason a similar piece of gear might be more expensive from one manufacturer than another might very well be because one of the companies actually incurred the research and development costs, and the other simply got their hands on a prototype at a later point and copied the design.

3) I would hazard a guess that the chances of being injured or killed while climbing are exponentially higher on accidents related to being dropped by a belayer, forgetting to tie in fully, or falling onto poorly placed gear and ripping it out than to a manufactures defect or engineering problems.

However, if someone is really worried about it, my suggestions are:
A - Stay away from the newest item on the market and let others run the field testing. You don't really have to upgrade your tricams to the anondized colors just because they're there, and you won't be able to climb harder routes just because you bought the C4 camelots.
B - Rely more heavily on passive gear. Nuts have a long history of being relatively safe and they work pretty damned well.
C - Buy those nuts from reputable makers. You know...the ones who stake their reputation on their product....
D - Inspect your gear. If you see something you think is funky, check into it. I have seen more than one *major* gear company respond directly to threads posted on this very site. An email, letter or phone call from you detailing your concern will probably not be ignored.

These guys are not some corporate hotshots jetting to distant countries and hiding in offices with an "open-door policy." I know that any of you could call me out on being a gumby know-it-all, with shit for climbing experience, but come on.....am I just sincerely amazingly lucky to run into some of this countries pioneers and heavy hitters when I am out climbing? And to see that they are people just like me? This happens to nobaody else?

And....what friggin company/product is anyone referring to that is being knowingly placed onto the market without regard for human life? Seriously, money may very well be the root of all evil, but gear sales? Though I suppose, if the biners are marked "Haliburton"......

snoopy138

Sep 20, 2005, 8:24 PM
Post #46 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

What if it's not fifty cents but $50 (on a ~$50 cam)?

If it's really a 100% increase in the price, then that means that the product was being sold at far too low a price beforehand. All this would be doing is asking the manufacturer to account for the costs of their product. Someone has to pay the costs of a defective product ... should it fall squarely on the random victim, or should it be spread among the users of the product?

caughtinside

Sep 20, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #47 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3) I would hazard a guess that the chances of being injured or killed while climbing are exponentially higher on accidents related to being dropped by a belayer, forgetting to tie in fully, or falling onto poorly placed gear and ripping it out than to a manufactures defect or engineering problems.

Exactly. This is why anyone suing a manufacturer would have a huge uphill battle, in that they'd have to prove that there was no kind of operator error, and that any accident was due to the gear failing.

Combine that with the fact that sports, and climbing in particular, are assumption of the risk kind of activities, and you have a very difficult case.

For these reasons, I don't think gear companies are sued often, but that's just speculation.

crimpandgo

Sep 20, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #48 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1) I myself am aware of the specifics of the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. I was alluding to the idea that we are a lawsuit-happy populace. But, I certainly can understand that people would choose to point out the nuances of the actual case.

2) Gear manufacturers making *tons* of money? I'm not so sure this is the case...... From what I understand, most innovations in climbing gear are designed and developed to some point by regular old(although usually quite hard) climbing bums. Not so long ago, they forged the pieces themsel;ves, but now are more likely to take their prototype to an established company and work in conjunction to bring it to the rest of us.
I don't think a venture capitalist would think twice about passing by on the opportunity to get into a climbing gear business on the ground floor..... But, one reason a similar piece of gear might be more expensive from one manufacturer than another might very well be because one of the companies actually incurred the research and development costs, and the other simply got their hands on a prototype at a later point and copied the design.

However, if someone is really worried about it, my suggestions are:
A - Stay away from the newest item on the market and let others run the field testing. You don't really have to upgrade your tricams to the anondized colors just because they're there, and you won't be able to climb harder routes just because you bought the C4 camelots.
B - Rely more heavily on passive gear. Nuts have a long history of being relatively safe and they work pretty damned well.
C - Buy those nuts from reputable makers. You know...the ones who stake their reputation on their product....
D - Inspect your gear. If you see something you think is funky, check into it. I have seen more than one *major* gear company respond directly to threads posted on this very site. An email, letter or phone call from you detailing your concern will probably not be ignored.

These guys are not some corporate hotshots jetting to distant countries and hiding in offices with an "open-door policy." I know that any of you could call me out on being a gumby know-it-all, with s--- for climbing experience, but come on.....am I just sincerely amazingly lucky to run into some of this countries pioneers and heavy hitters when I am out climbing? And to see that they are people just like me? This happens to nobaody else?

And....what friggin company/product is anyone referring to that is being knowingly placed onto the market without regard for human life? Seriously, money may very well be the root of all evil, but gear sales? Though I suppose, if the biners are marked "Haliburton"......

Do you really need examples of this? They may not currently be climbing companies, but the need to keep manufacturers in check is not limited to climbing companies. Just go look at the Prescription drug industry and you will have lots of examples.

And dont kid yourself, companies like Black diamond make a shit load of money off you. You are the reason they do. Your recommendation stated up above recommended buy only gear from reputable big name company. That gives the big company automatic advantage to raise their price. Cause folks will buy it just on recommendation alone.

This actually hurts the small guy who actually in most cases makes a superior product because there volume can be smaller and product quality can be better controlled... and they are not as concerned with profit by volume. AND they are more hurt when ONE customer is unsatisfied. large companies lose site of the small stuff because its is insignificant to their bottom line.

scrapedape

Sep 20, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #49 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would hazard a guess that the chances of being injured or killed while climbing are exponentially higher on accidents related to being dropped by a belayer, forgetting to tie in fully, or falling onto poorly placed gear and ripping it out than to a manufactures defect or engineering problems.

I agree completely, but the OP's question was "whether they would sue a gear manufacturer if it could be proved that their product was at fault in a climbing accident."

The term "at fault" seemed pretty vague to me, so I said that if the product were defective, sure, a lawsuit would be warranted.

asandh

Sep 20, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #50 of 86 (6855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook