RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bobruef

Sep 22, 2005, 8:44 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

8a.nu...wow
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, I have to say that today I was unfaithful to good old rc.com. On a whim, after reading another post, I decided to visit 8a.nu for the first time.

Wow.

Now I understand the backlash often seen on this site to questions regarding climbing grades.

I have always seen the merit for rating the dificulty of a climb, but never truly understood what a grade whore was untill reading some of the posts at 8a.nu.

Kind of takes away from the essence of why we all start climbing huh.

Truly an eye opener into other realms of climbing.

caughtinside

Sep 22, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Re: 8a.nu...wow [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

STFU n00b!

Not everyone has to have the same climbing experience as you.

superbum

Sep 22, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
STFU n00b!

Holey moley...harsh words...why so violent? Calm down, someone somewhere is just writing something that has nothing to do with you personally so why get all macho crazy freak out?? Why am I even writing this right now?? fck.

bobruef

Sep 22, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
STFU n00b!

For help understanding this senseless flame:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...to_show.php?id=58354

Need I say more?

bobruef

Sep 22, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #5 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, the image didn't work!

This thread has to be at least a 5.13d++

I can't believe I blew the onsight on that post.

Do they make a software stick clip to help for posting images?

Partner j_ung

Sep 22, 2005, 9:29 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
STFU n00b!

For help understanding this senseless flame:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=58354

Need I say more?

Fixed that photo for ya, since I thought it was a little funny. :)

Hey CI, love the way your belay device hangs lower than your sack. Is that an example of a virtual tool? :lol: :P :P

caughtinside

Sep 22, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Netiquette:

"STFU n00b!" is the standard flame for someone who clearly has no clue what they are talking about. The initial post and the profile of the OP corroborate this belief. (OMG, was that elitism?!?!?)

If you are not interested in what those no fun having, hard sending numbers chasers are up to, feel free not to visit the site.

Have a nice day! :twisted:

caughtinside

Sep 22, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well done, j_ung! :lol: :lol:

Virtual tool? No, I am only a virtual tool when I"m online during the week. The versatile tool of which you are thinking was left home that day. It was all simul, all the time, so that is a BD-XP I borrowed from my partinero.

Also Mr. _ung, nice try getting rid of me. As you can see, I have re-added you to my partner list. You won't escape that easy. :P 8^) :lol:

As to the silly pose I am demonstrating on the photo in question, it's a bit of a joke. Does anyone have the link to summit protocol? Kimmyt?

Laffs all around! :lol:

climbsomething

Sep 22, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why CI is hott. He hooks em without even trying!

SACRASM PEOPLE. I can't afford to keep banging my head against the wall, my neurologist says so.

pbjosh

Sep 22, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Netiquette:

This is a word made up 10 years ago by people who were themselves new to the net, trying to impart the wisdom of their years to the newcomers. Those on the net longer just shrugged.

In reply to:
"STFU n00b!" is the standard flame for someone who clearly has no clue what they are talking about. The initial post and the profile of the OP corroborate this belief. (OMG, was that elitism?!?!?)

This dates back 20 years or more and is pretty cool if you're the kinda person who would say netiquette and mean it, I guess. Other people were over this phrase about 15 years ago. But if you've been on rc.com for 4-5 years I guess you're "old school." People who cut their teeth on Fidonet and The Well and Usenet (pre compuserve, pre aol, and pre web interfaces) find it funny to see the "new old school" get off on this phrase. It's the new black, yo.

In reply to:
If you are not interested in what those no fun having, hard sending numbers chasers are up to, feel free not to visit the site.

This I agree with fo sho.

caughtinside

Sep 22, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:

Josh, thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know the roots of those two terms.

I used 'netiquette' because it sounds funny. I like it when people make up words. My buddy invented 'sithering' the other day. He was trying to use seething and simmering at the same time. Good stuff!

I was unaware that the whole STFU thing went back that far. I generally don't use it, but sometimes I'm in the mood to employ cliche. The next rack thread that comes up, you can bet I'm gonna throw down with Camalots and Aliens baby, Camalots and Aliens. Or maybe, "Is your life worth a $5 biner?!?!"

It's true that I wasn't on Compuserve, usenet, or those other things you mentioned. At the time, I was but a college student, snowboarding, drinking beer and chasing women, all in disgustingly hedonistic proportions.

On the net 5 years ago to be old school? Nah. I'm not old school. I'm just pissed I missed the lycra craze. 8^)

daithi

Sep 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Truly an eye opener into other realms of climbing.

What's wrong with trying to climb as hard as you can? I think anyone with any element of a competitive streak or a goal orientated person will attempt to climb as hard as they can. I can't see much wrong with this other realm. It's what sports climbing is all about (at least in a historic context) - concentrating on hard moves without worrying about protection.

fracture

Sep 23, 2005, 2:40 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Do you have similar feelings about golfers who keep track of their best stroke-play games?

fracture

Sep 23, 2005, 2:56 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Netiquette:

This is a word made up 10 years ago by people who were themselves new to the net, trying to impart the wisdom of their years to the newcomers. Those on the net longer just shrugged.

Google USENET archives
have usages of the word in articles posted in 1983. And there are posts about "USENET etiquette" and "net etiquette" from 1982.

Either you're really confused about what date it is, or your understanding of the history of the internet is quite different from the reality.

8^)

caughtinside

Sep 23, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe,

I bumped this thread to point out a bit of irony.

The OP rags on 8a because they're all numbers chasers who climb for the wrong reasons.

Then, I gave him a tame little flame.

Then, to point out what a chucklehead I am, he posts a photo of me, acting silly and having fun, in front of a classic Sierra 5.7.

Let's see, having fun and climbing 'easy' stuff? Isn't that why we're all here? Am I not climbing for the 'right' reasons? :lol:

dlintz

Sep 23, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget to update your scorecard with that classic 5.7. :wink:

d.

bobruef

Sep 23, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As i said in my original post, I can see the merit of rating climbs. I enjoy pushing my limits on a good clip-up as much as the next guy (as meager as those limits may currently be). I look forward to the day when I can say that I am solid at 5.12 or maybe even higher. I always enjoy setting a new personal best grade wise. Like I said before, I never understood the backlash on this site regarding grade chasing, as I enjoy it myself (within limits).

However, when reading the threads at 8a.nu, I could not believe how much attention was paid on the inane details of grading, and what you can or cannot call a redpoint, etc... I've just never had that much interest in those details, nor have I ever climbed with someone who did. If you do, that's cool, I just don't have much interest in climbing with you. Maybe you can become famous for developing some sort of formulaic approach to grading, and then spray the rest of your life about it. I just don't see how so much breath can be wasted on whether or not something is or is not such and such grade, or did he or did he not repoint because of such and such.

This is new to me. It all just kind of seems like masturbation. I don't climb to facilitate spraying, I climb because I enjoy everything about it. Just beats the hell out of sitting in this office, typing about it.

If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just expressing myself.

caughtinside

Sep 23, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just don't see how so much breath can be wasted on whether or not something is or is not such and such grade, or did he or did he not repoint because of such and such.

You mean sort of like wasting your breath with that long post about how much you don't care about grades? :P

It's just another site with people 'expressing their opinions.' You don't care what they think, and you don't want to climb with them. I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the feeling is mutual. 8^)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook