RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner neuroshock

Sep 27, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #1 of 2 (939 views)
Shortcut

alternate stylesheets?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

has the use of alternate stylesheets has ever been considered? specifically, a stylesheet for printing (media="print"). (example here)

this would be particularly useful when printing from the route DB or a forum thread (i printed this thread out when i went to squamish).

specifically, there are things rendered on the screen that are useless when printed and take up real-estate, possibly using more paper to print. for example, the top navbar is not useful on paper, nor is whether or not you have PM's, email, or friends online. the left side navigation and the links to FAQ, Usergroups, Calendar, Info could go away, too. by encapsulating those in DIV tags with unique ID's and specifying in the print stylesheet "display: none;" the content being printed is more paper-friendly. without the left nav bar, the content may take less space vertically, and result in less paper used.

maybe hide most/all of the navigation elements when printing, with exception to the site logo?

just wanted to start a discussion of the merits of adding this. maybe i'll actually use my dev account to poke around the source code and see if i'm technically capable of implementing this (instead of putting it on someone else to do).

-mike

Partner cliffhanger9

Oct 6, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #2 of 2 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: alternate stylesheets? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

yes this has been considered and is even on my "to do" list

The RDB is being entirely overhauled currently as was the entire sites layout, the latter of which has gone on hold for a bit with the merger and management changes but you can expect them in the future, this I assure you.

ps - dont worry about it putting it on someone else - its actually really easy to implement with the new architecture that I was working on - oh the joys of CSS - plus we may have disabled your dev access due to inactivity in the name of security.

anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts ;) rock on

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook