RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

rvega

Sep 16, 2005, 4:49 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Rock Climbing Shoe Fetish?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Unlike many woman I'm not really into shoes normally, but suddenly I own 6 pairs of climbing shoes. Any of you ladies have too many pairs?

Shoe List
2 pairs of 5.10 Asyms
These are my favorite shoes ever and they don't make them anymore (the FOOLS) so when I found another pair my size in a store in New Zealand, I had to have them. They said they never thought they'd sell them, so I got them cheap and with a 5.10 t-shirt to boot!
1 pair Moccasin slippers (2 resoles so far)
Hurt bad when I bought them and the evil guy at the store said that if I could stand in them for more than 30 seconds then they were too big. I managed about a minute. Took a year to break them in and now they a bit too big and sloppy for technical outdoor stuff.
1 pair very old 5.10 Sapphires with (3 resoles so far)
Could can climb anything in these babies. Love them.
1 pair Montrail Velcros
They were only $30 at REI...I couldn't afford to not buy them.
1 pair of Anasazi Lace Ups that
A friend bought himself these off sierratradingpost.com but although they said they weer 6.5s (must have mis labeled) they were too small for him. I had the littlest feet he knew of so he gave them to me, but they were even too small for me and after crying midway up a 5.10a at Owens I gave them to a woman who had even smaller feet then me. She said they'd be nice "all day shoes." I think they were more like size 4.

kimmyt

Sep 16, 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock Climbing Shoe Fetish? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alas, no. I have a buttload of regular shoes, but only two pairs of climbing shoes, one of which is completely blown out and rotting away. They are my trad shoes, and super-comfy, but putting them on is even starting to gross me out. The other pair is my single-pitch/gym-climbing/bouldering shoes which are hurty and a softer rubber so that I can use them a bit more aggressively. I just bought those not too long ago and they are in pretty good shape.

For some reason I just can't seem to drop the wad to buy a new pair of trad shoes, when I could get two cams for the same price. *sigh*

K.

tavs

Sep 16, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you could call it a fetish, though mostly I think it's just because I never get rid of anything. Right now:

1 pair Boreal Matrix: crappy too small shoe with really crappy rubber that I bought long ago when I was foolish about shoes. Rarely worn.

1 pair 5.10 Anasazi Lace-ups: blown toes but still wearable. Don't wear them as often because I hate the heel cup.

1 pair 5.10 Velcro 'Sazis: favorite shoe, totally blown toes but I still wear them all the time. I guess I probably have technically 2 pairs, but one is really trashed and just hasn't made it to the actual trash yet.

1 pair 5.10 Mocs: love 'em. I had a similar experience, somewhat too small at first, now pretty stretched out but they still feel great to me for granite climbing. Also blown toes :( (I have a bad habit of putting off the resole until the leather goes and it becomes too late.)

1 pair Red Chili somethings: uber-comfy all day shoe, though since I now have 5.10 Guide Tennies for approach shoes, I'm not sure how much I'll wear the RC's. The Tennies climb like a dream.

1 pair Sportiva Muiras: somewhat too stretched (they came back from a resole feeling bigger than before...shrug...) and the laces are trashed, but I still wear them most for sport routes.

1 pair Sportiva velcro that I loved but they no longer make: I can't think of the name now, but they were mostly gray and built similar to the orange slippers...Anyway, pretty old shoe that doesn't get worn often, since I don't really care for downturned shoes anymore, but I sometimes break them out when I'm doing a lot of steep bouldering.

So, 7 pairs, 8 if you count the Tennies (which I would, even though they are technically an approach shoe...I've led 5.6 trad in them). Pairs without holes in the toes? 3/8...eek.

shorty

Sep 16, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with have a few extra pairs of shoes. We humans have wimpy little gurly-man feet -- not hooves, claws, or suction cups -- and I see no problem making up for our evolutionary shortcomings with MasterCard.

I have footwear for running, hiking, skiing, biking, mountaineering, casual wear, softball, golf, the office, and formal occasions. So why not have multiple climbing and approach shoes? There are slabs, thin cracks, wide cracks, steep routes, edging routes, and long routes, all of which can seem slightly easier (by those of us whose technique is pretty much non-existent) with the proper climbing shoes. No matter what your preferred climbing discipline is, you probably have more than one draw, cam, stopper, piton, or ice tool. And I don't want my all-important climbing shoes sitting in the basement being envious of a nice rack of draws and cams.

So loosen up your wallets, warm up the credit cards, and pay homage to Imelda Marcos. If we don't buy those extra pairs of climbing shoes, we potentially risk the financial health of La Sportiva, Boreal, 5.10, Evolve, Red Chilli, etc. Believe me, you don't want the collapse of the shoe industry on your conscience.

Partner macherry

Sep 16, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty, you play golf......... :?

I love shoes

i only have 3 pairs of shoes: mythos, mocs (on first resole), and evolv athenas. I did give a pair of saltic baras to my daughter and sold a pair of boreals!

I've got many pairs of approach and running shoes, specific bike shoes for road and mtn, casual shoes, skateboard shoes, and one pair of kickass bluntstone boots for a good time on the town..

oh yeah, lots of sandals, flip flops and one pair of rubber clogs.

lisae

Sep 16, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unlike many woman I'm not really into shoes normally, but suddenly I own 6 pairs of climbing shoes. Any of you ladies have too many pairs?

Too many pairs?

I have three pairs of the shoes I currently wear, the women's mythos. One pair to wear (#1), one pair to be resoled (#2), and one pair (#3) because I blew a hole in the toe in pair #1 while I was in Joshua Tree. I didn't want to damage them beyond resoling, so I had to buy a new pair.

I used to wear 5.10 women's shoe, the black diamond. They quit making them, so I bought several extra pairs in a close out sale. I still have them, waiting for a shoe drought...

I more climbing shoes than I do shoes for general wear; if I had to wear a pair of heels somewhere, I'd have to go shopping...

shorty

Sep 16, 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Surprisingly, some of us climber-wannabe-types sometimes do things other than climb. Being able to hit a little white ball a long ways up the center of a strip of grass occasionally does a few things for one's corporate career. And I have white and brown saddle shoes. (The beverage cart gals dig the colors.)
In reply to:
...and one pair of kickass bluntstone boots for a good time on the town..
I'm a Tony Lama kind of guy -- caribou & calfskin.

Partner macherry

Sep 17, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #8 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Surprisingly, some of us climber-wannabe-types sometimes do things other than climb. Being able to hit a little white ball a long ways up the center of a strip of grass occasionally does a few things for one's corporate career. And I have white and brown saddle shoes. (The beverage cart gals dig the colors.)
In reply to:
...and one pair of kickass bluntstone boots for a good time on the town..
I'm a Tony Lama kind of guy -- caribou & calfskin.

saddle shoes.......classy. my best friend Trista and i have often talked about taking up golf.........if just for the 19th hole :D ..........and boy caddies!!!!

harmonydoc

Sep 17, 2005, 7:23 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have three pairs, the first two of which I bought 'cause they were on sale ...

5.10 mocs - messed up my feet wearing these, crushed the nerve leading to my big toe, it's been numb for months. Think I've gotta sell 'em.

Mythos (men's version, didn't seem to make much difference) - nice

and my favorite ... Sportiva (I think they're the old Mega) high tops that I bought like 15 years ago after I took my very first climbing class, not heavily used, resoled twice, super comfy, board lasted. Can't buy these anymore!

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty predictable... I just keep getting Madrock Mugens (except for the one time I was tempted to try the Maniacs, which was a serious waste of $59.95... they're sitting around somewhere). My current dilemma is, now that my gym is selling them for 20% off, should I just buy a couple of pairs for the future, before they go back to $89? Seriously, though, they are the greatest shoe... I have really flat feet that need a sharp toe down and arch restraint. And besides, who doesn't love new shoes???!

rvega

Sep 18, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
5.10 mocs - messed up my feet wearing these, crushed the nerve leading to my big toe, it's been numb for months. Think I've gotta sell 'em.

That same thing happened to me, but from wearing Dansko clogs. Everyone at my work had them and said they were the best all day work shoes so I bought a pair and they cause horrible numbness on the top of my foot and shooting pains in my big toe. Sucks.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 29, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We could start a new trend!

I keep typing out ideas of where to wear these shoes (like with your evening gown) - But they are all just such bad ideas. They aren't as funny as when I first saw the thread title.

I have 3. My son wears one pair (Sportiva from 1994). I told my husband he could have the other pair back, but their are restrictions (Aces from like 1993). I wear my new pair (Scarpa Vision, 2005). And soon I'll be getting my sportiva's back from my son- because he has to give them back before his toes start comming through.

girlclimb

Sep 30, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 pairs my first pair was la sportiva murias the purple ones the rand tore after a year and i continued to wear them for about another 6 months or so needless to say they were my first shoe and comfy would be an understatement, bought a new pair of celery green womans muras wore these and then the rand also went one a pair of sportivas got them two sizes smaller (i can still somehow get these off my feet without untieing am in love but havnt worn them in a while because of the wholes and not wanting to go through the leather for once) won a pair of madrocks got the flash at first hated them!!!! after i blew through the rubber they started to get comfy, these are the pair im currently wearing despite the pealing rubber the torn leather and what ever the white part of the shoe that holds it together coming out.... hahah im thinking of resoling the laspotivas and getting a preformance shoe ffor bouldering when i get the money

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook