RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

glchromeice

Oct 7, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

New Cam lines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Omega link cams vs trango max cams.... Any thoughts?

http://www.mtntools.com/...ms/trangomaxcams.htm
http://www.mtntools.com/.../images/maxcaman.gif

http://www.mtntools.com/...apacificlinkcams.htm
http://www.mtntools.com/...om_LinkCamexpand.jpg

renohandjams

Oct 7, 2005, 4:45 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Cam lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This comparison is floating around somewhere, I think it had the super included as well. Couldn't find it.

This comparison isn't really fair because the max cam is out, but nobody is playing the link cams yet. I like my max cams that I marked down to use, if anyone doesn't like theirs I'll buy them back for a not-so-fair price, but better than nothing if you don't like them.

IS IT TRUE THAT the largest size of the max cam was dropped, is it the number 4? I hope not.

renohandjams

Oct 7, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just had to fix your links. :wink:

vegastradguy

Oct 7, 2005, 4:56 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
IS IT TRUE THAT the largest size of the max cam was dropped, is it the number 4? I hope not.

dunno, but for more or less the same price, a BD Camalot #4 is lighter and has a bigger range than the Trango MaxCam. Perhaps Malcolm decided that the MaxCam's biggest advantage was in the medium sizes....

trenchdigger

Oct 7, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I consider them different tools for different purposes.

The trangos would likely make a great primary set of cams. Of course they have their benefits and curses compared to their competitors, but there's been plenty of talk of that on this website. A quick search will open that can of worms.

The OPs, IMHO, are ideal backup cams, cams that you carry two or three of when you're trying to supplement a light rack of only nuts and hexes but want a couple of cams for flaring or difficult placements. Though you won't have a lot of them to place, their huge range will give you the best odds of having the size you need. Their heavier weight and more limited sizes (only three) precludes them from being a primary set of cams for me.

To me, the OP is a specialty cam. One that people may buy a couple of, but few will have or even want a full rack of them.

~Adam~

renohandjams

Oct 7, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

dunno, but for more or less the same price, a BD Camalot #4 is lighter and has a bigger range than the Trango MaxCam. Perhaps Malcolm decided that the MaxCam's biggest advantage was in the medium sizes....
I thought the Max cams main selling point was being lighter than the Camalots and having more range? I'm not saying either way, but it would be nice to compare some stats side by side (range verses weight) and see how they compare. I've tried to hold both and see, but you really can't tell because it is so close. Does anyone have any specs? thanks.

Partner hosh

Oct 7, 2005, 5:20 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Malcom? any comments here?

the new max cams look very interesting. The OP cams look like they've got too many moving parts for me to be comfortable with them. I also have my eye on Metolius' new offering, the super cam. But for now, I'm satisfied with my C4's and aliens and powercams.

hosh.

thrmaln

Oct 7, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been using the Maxcams (#1 & #2) along side my C4's and I like both of them a lot. However, I do like the added range of the maxcams and they work great. What I don't like is the fact that the triggers can rotate a bit but that's a non issue most of the time.

The link cam seems like a good idea with a serious flaw but as another said it would be nice to have one as a place anywhere cam. The thing I do not like about the Link Cams is the first lobe is steel, really f@#king hard steel PH17-4 that would crush the rock rather then allow the lobe to deform a bit to bite into the rock for a larger contact area. In theory, the steel lobes would have a very small cross section of contact with the rock which just does not seem like a good idea. I imagine the steel lobe was needed for rigidity and a aluminum lobe would not work for some reason.

I'll stick with my C4's and Maxcams for the big and my Aliens for the small. Oh one other reason to go the Maxcam/C4 route is they back each other up nicely since the sling colors coincide with each other. When I find a C4 that is just too small the maxcam of the same color usually fits well.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

blakester

Oct 7, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the maxcam #4 is no longer in the works. that's from an email i gto from trango a few weeks ago. P.S. it would have had an expansion range of 60-120mm, and would have been lighter than a #4 camalot. IMO the best maxcams would have been the big big ones! think of a nice light cam that can expand from 90-180cm! total OW protection.

maxcam #1 has the same range as a .75+1 camalot.

Maxcam#2 has the range of a 1 and 2 camalot.

vegastradguy

Oct 7, 2005, 6:45 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my apologies, seems i was wrong. although i do seem to remember the camalots having a greater range when the maxcam specs first came out...maybe Malcolm tweaked 'em a bit.

C4 #4-
2.7-3.6in, 9.8oz

Trango Max #4
2.4-4.9in, 9.9oz

cost for both is $80.

looks like the real advantage on the #4 would have been on the fat end. it'll be like carrying a fist size cam that'll do the job of a #5 C4 as well. (the #5 C4's max range is about 4.9" as well) hrm, too bad trango killed it- i would have bought one.

lajhanata

Oct 7, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, me too. I already had one on order, but for some reason they decided not to produce them. If you look at the increase in range, Max cams outperform the C4's best in the larger sizes. I don't know why they canned the #4, but they probably had a good reason. Maybe the big cams are more prone to walking? Maybe they just put more production effort into the backorder of #'s 1 and 2. I wanted a # 4 bad. Imagine a # 4 link cam!

dudemanbu

Oct 7, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

According to a recent email i got from trango, the number 3 will be out in november, and the .5 and .75 in jan. There are no plans to make the number 4. I asked why. Maybe i'll get an answer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook