Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access to Riverside Quarry?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pbjosh

Aug 9, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #1 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Access to Riverside Quarry?  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any information regarding the no trespassing signs and blockaded access roads?

I was out of town for a couple of weeks and came back to tales of the above, and am wondering if anyone knows more.

Thanks.

caughtinside

Aug 9, 2005, 9:20 PM
Post #2 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access to Riverside Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hate to be captain obvious, but maybe Louie knows more?

I thought that the quarry was privately owned, however. :?

pbjosh

Aug 9, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #3 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I imagine he is likely to, I though others might as well, or others might want to be aware of this issue.

caughtinside

Aug 9, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there was one other thread started in the Access forum, but it only had the same info you've got, and no replies.

socalbolter

Aug 9, 2005, 9:45 PM
Post #5 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There were two separate brush fires there in the last week or so. It's unknown as to how they were started, but the fires were in the big open area to the southeast of the cliffs.

The adjacent homeowners and the County officials have long been against vehicular access to the Quarry property by the motorcycles and other offroad vehicles. The recent signage may be a result of this.

While it's possible to drive into the Quarry using other approaches that don't have signs or barricades, it would be wise to not drive into the Quarry until things are resolved. Apparently climbers are still visiting (via a 10-15 minute walk from the road) and are not being asked to leave by the local Sheriff.

We're obtaining info on the current owners and will be contacting them shortly to try and clear things up. I'll keep you all posted. As it's pretty hot there (even in the morning shade) there are probably better climbing options for now anyway. With any luck all will be cleared up by the time the cool weather returns.

roughster

Aug 23, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in 95-96 when I looked into access there, all inquiries about the place we met with "Its private land it is not open for climbing." I even talked to a Sheriff who was out there kicking out the Moto-cross guys about it, and he told me that the quarry owner periodically requested sweeps of his land to remove unwanted trespassers. I asked if that was just for the moto-cross crowd and he said no, it was everyone.

I had a feeling that when the place got popular access issues would creep up. Lets hope they can be overcome. The potential there has always been undeniable, it has been the threat of access issues that kept it undeveloped for so long.

pbjosh

Sep 22, 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #7 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Louis or others - any updates on the access situation there?

Kosher to street park and hike in? Kosher to drive in? Kosher to climb there at all?

Thanks mucho, was going to do a split Quarry / Keller day this weekend w/ friends.

josh

socalbolter

Sep 23, 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #8 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh -

Folks have continued to climb there all summer. Some are driving in, others are parking on the street and walking in.

No one has been asked to leave, even with the Sheriffs doing regular driving and helicopter patrols of the area.

I plan to continue going myself and would encourage others to do the same.

The recent signage and driving barrier have resulted in fewer off road and motorcylce users, which I believe was the intent in the first place. None of this seems to have been targeted at climbers.

- Louie

socalbolter

Oct 9, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #9 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those that would still like to drive into the Quarry itself (versus parking on the street and walking 5-10 minutes), here's the directions to follow:

Get off on Valley Way off the 60 freeway (as usual) and head south (away from the Quarry).

Turn left at Mission Blvd. (first signal).

Go up past the drive-in theater and turn left at La Rue (3rd signal?).

Follow this over the 60 freeway and into a small residential area to it's end.

Turn left onto Paramount and follow it a few blocks until it ends.

Continue on the dirt road into the Quarry.

Drive past the Agony Arch area to access the other sections of cliff on the front of the hillside.

Lots of new routes out there since the guidebook came out.

Have fun and be safe!

pbjosh

Oct 9, 2005, 5:02 PM
Post #10 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Louie,

Can a low clearance car make it in this way?

socalbolter

Oct 9, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #11 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, a low clearance car should be fine. I've seen several others drive in this way.

There is a small hump to first get onto the dirt road and then it is pretty flat driving the remainder of the way.

ctmacmurdo

Feb 4, 2006, 6:03 AM
Post #12 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody know any information about recent access at the Quarry? Last weekend there was a temporary drill set up on the top of the quarry and the drill was operating the previous week and spewing water/rock dust over some of the routes. Also there is some short, small fresh grading near the main road running in front of the wall.

I'm afraid that the wrong kind of development (not route development) may be on the way.

There was also a conversation with the local Sheriff's deputy who informed a friend (who was at the car) that the sheriffs department was ticketing off-roaders. They said that they had specific instructions not to ticket climbers, but that it is legally trespassing, therefor they could give a $155 ticket, and advised us to park on the street. There was no mention that climbers shouldn't be there.

I'm planning on going Sunday, and I'll check for more signs

ucrclimber

Feb 5, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #13 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Email correspondence with Louie:

----- Original Message -----
To: "Louie Anderson"
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: Riverside Quarry

> Louie,
>
> Have you heard anything about quarrying activity resuming at
> the Quarry? I have noticed a drilling platform up top for a
> few weeks now, and today I met some guys saying they read
> that they were resuming blasting soon. If this is true, I am
> deeply saddened. I thought if anyone knew about anything
> going on with the Quarry, it'd be you. Please let me know if
> you know anything, and if there's anything I can do to help.
> I'm a member of the UCR Climbing Club, and I can try to do
> whatever I can to rally up local help. I hope you have
> nothing but good news for me. Thanks.
>
> Steven Wang
> swang011@ucr.edu
> 714-423-6665

Subject: Re: Riverside Quarry

No, they aren't going to start quarrying agin.

They are taking core samples to judge the cliff's stability as part of a
geologic study of the site for future home development on the surrounding
properties.

- Louie

jt512

Feb 5, 2006, 5:52 AM
Post #14 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anybody know any information about recent access at the Quarry? Last weekend there was a temporary drill set up on the top of the quarry and the drill was operating the previous week and spewing water/rock dust over some of the routes. Also there is some short, small fresh grading near the main road running in front of the wall.

I'm afraid that the wrong kind of development (not route development) may be on the way.

As ucrclimber states, the drill is for core sampling, and, according to Louie, the regraded road is to provide access to the top of the cliff to the geologists. Unfortunately, the improved road facilitates access to the top of the cliff for anyone, and consequently, furniture trundling, a local pastime, has increased.

Jay

socalbolter

Feb 21, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #15 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing out there today and in the late afternoon 3 Sheriff's cars came in and started asking climbers to move their cars out to the street. They said that it was OK to climb there, but not to drive our vehicles into the Quarry property.

This is something that I've heard has happened to other climbers out there from time to time, although usually the Sheriffs leave the climbers alone.

I went down and spoke with the three Sheriffs for quite some time, explaining that the land owner knew that we were climbing there and had not asked us to walk in instead of driving in. I also mentioned that as a group the climbers routinely "police" the area, asking those dumping to not do so and picking up trash along the base of the cliff itself. I voiced our hesitation to park on the street and walk in for fear of possible vehicle break-ins. Our conversation went on for some time and went back and forth a bit, but the final outcome is that the Sargeant (the senior ranking officer in the group of three) decided that it was OK for us to continue driving into the Quarry itself. He was going to spread the word amongst the other Sheriffs in his substation, but told me to pass along the information that if we are asked to leave in the future that it was OK for us to tell other Sheriffs that Sargeant Wilson has told us that it was OK for us to drive in instead of parking on the street. Please do your part to continue the positive relationship that we seem to enjoy with the local homeowners and authorities.

Please pass this along to anyone you think might benefit from the knowledge.

Thanks!

- Louie

riversidesheriff

Apr 12, 2006, 5:45 PM
Post #16 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello to all rock climbing enthusiasts!!! My Name is Deputy Howell and I am the coordinator of illegal off road violations for the Riverside County Sheriff's Department-Jurupa Valley Station. I would like to inform all climbers of the current ordinances regarding your access to the rock quarry area in Riverside.

Riverside County Ordinance 10.12.010 states....

No person shall drive a motor vehicle on lands belonging to or occupied by another without having in his or her immediate possession and, upon request of a peace officer, displaying written permission from the owner of such lands, his or her agent, or the person in lawful possession thereof; but this section shall not apply to a person having lawful business with the owner.

Therefore, all climbers need written permission to be on the property and can not drive their vehicles to the climbing area to access it with out such written permission in thier immediate possession. Each vehicle on the property is subject to citation. There is ample parking on Sierra Avenue.

The R.O.V.E. unit is conducting active enforcement in the area and will continue to do so for the remainder of 2006. We are actively enforcing this off road violation due to numerous citizen complaints of high off road activity in the area. which includes but is not limited to high dust and noice issues, but in addition, illegal dumping issues.

We do not want to discourage climbing at this site, however we would appreciate voluntary compliance regarding taking your vehicle off road to the climbling area.

I can be contacted for questions or comments at the Jurupa Valley Station located at 7477 Mission Blvd in Riverside in person or via telephone at (951) 955-9225 or by email at kahowell@rc-lawnet.org.

Everyones anticipated cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Deputy Kelley Howell

socalbolter

Apr 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #17 of 17 (7577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deputy Howell -

Thank you for taking the appropriate measures to contact the local climbing community on this change in the enforcement policies in regard to climbers driving their vehicles into the Quarry property.

I will spread the word immediately to those users that I am in contact with and ask others on this site to do the same.

Also, I would hope that a reasonable period of time might be allowed for word of this change to spread among the climbing community and that during this time period that only warning citations would be issued.

Climbers: Please respect this and park on Sierra. It only takes a few minutes to walk in from the street. Thank you!

Thank you again Deputy Howell,

-Louie Anderson

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook