RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

el_capitan

Oct 19, 2005, 6:26 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Thinking of joining Colorado Mountain Club
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with Colorado Mountain Club? I am getting into mountaineering and looking for partners/mentors/classes and just to meet more people for other outdoor activities. I heard tht CMC have activities year around led by members. Any thoughts/experience with the CMC (before I pony up the $93)?

timstich

Oct 19, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thinking of joining Colorado Mountain Club [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is climbing with people you meet not working out or something?

If you go the club route, I think you will be disappointed how terribly slow they will "reveal the secrets of the mountains" to you. My friend told me they only offer ice climbing classes once a year and you need around three to be certified for trips. This can typically take more than one season just to go. So if you like that sort of thing... YMMV.

If you just need to brush up on some skills, hire a mountain guide to take you on a route you wouldn't do currently with your own skills. I know you have some ascents down. Have fun whatever you do. I just think formal clubs are too bureaucratic and insulated. Guides are the way to go for what you are looking for I think.

iceisnice

Oct 19, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it sucks. from a climber's perspective at least. they don't do anything terribly challenging or technical. in fact, they don't go climbing that much at all. i went to a couple of events when i first moved to colorado and was pretty dissapointed on how few actual climbers were in the group. also, its more of a social gathering and since i'm not much of a socialite, or, social butterfly (i just climb) it really got on my nerves. too much talking and too little action.

timstich

Oct 19, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ask Werner from Yosar how he feels about the Sierra Club. Ha ha ha! Supertopo reference to the "How did you get into climbing?" thread.

lokiraven

Oct 22, 2005, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have considered doing the same thing, as I am having a very difficult time finding any mountaineers willing to teach a rookie. If you are looking for partners, IM me.

jercech

Oct 22, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I joined CMC when I was new to Denver a few years ago. The first two things you notice are the core of the club is easy hikes for old people, and it is run maddeningly like a bureaucracy. Hikes are classified by difficulty A-B-C-D. Members are classified by a progression of skills classes and prerequisite hikes. Ya gotta have the right classification to sign up for a difficult hike. Trips are published months in advance in a catalog...

There is a Tech Section dedicated to rock climbing that offers a series of classes from beginner rock climbing to trad leading to aid climbing. The tech section offers up few climbing trips in the catalog and most of its members climb together outside of officially sanctioned trips. I suppose trust is a big issue here.

All that being said I am glad I joined the CMC, have volunteered with them, and have meet some close and cherished friends through the club.

anykineclimb

Oct 22, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm,

you could always just use rc.com :roll:

Its FREE, I've met tons of people from this site. Just about all of them in Colorado.

spend the $93 on booze for us :wink:

timstich

Oct 23, 2005, 3:56 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All that being said I am glad I joined the CMC, have volunteered with them, and have meet some close and cherished friends through the club.

Clubs as a general concept really are great, simply because you are meeting people interested in the same things. You rarely go wrong with that.

climb14er

Oct 24, 2005, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the best climbers and mountaineers I have ever met are members of the CMC. And I've also climbed with friends from Exum and Yosemite.

el_capitan

Oct 25, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice from both sides. I think I'll stop by their office and see their trip list and talk to them before I decide. The main reason I was interested in was to get more instruction and to partake in trips. I have met great people on rc.com but I'm interested in more than just climbing. I wanted to go out for leisurely hikes as well on my off days and to of course meet more climbing partners as well. I was also interested in the seminars/presentations they have.

mother_sheep

Oct 25, 2005, 8:05 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the advice from both sides. I think I'll stop by their office and see their trip list and talk to them before I decide. The main reason I was interested in was to get more instruction and to partake in trips. I have met great people on rc.com but I'm interested in more than just climbing. I wanted to go out for leisurely hikes as well on my off days and to of course meet more climbing partners as well. I was also interested in the seminars/presentations they have.

Hey Sung. I'm no substitute for the CMC but I'd be more than happy to go out with you and your wife (Sorry I forgot her name, again) for hikes or climbs. I climb 3-4 times per week and hike 1-2 times per week during the fall/winter months. Anytime you want to get out, drop me a line.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook