RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

boulder_boy

Oct 20, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Indian Creek advice?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going for my first time to Indian Creek this weekend and I was wondering if people who have been there in the past could give me any advice that I might want to know before going. I allready have many of the same sized cam's and all the gear but and advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Jeff

crackmd

Oct 20, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Re: Indian Creek advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Purchase the guidebook. It does a great job of getting to the classic routes.

Think carefully about whether or not to use tape. Many users of this site will accuse you of "aid" climbing or "cheating" for using tape. If you agree with them and don't value the skin on the backs of your hands, then by all means, leave the tape for sissies like me.

Stay on the trails. The cryptobiotic layer is very delicate and takes many years to recover from climber's footsteps. Most popular crags have decent trails to get to the climbs.

"Import" your beer from another state. Enough said.

Most importantly, have a blast. In my mind, IC is the finest crag around.

tarzan420

Oct 20, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an IC virgin as well. A bunch of us, several of whom are new to the creek, are headed down for the weekend, check out this thread for details.

Maybe see ya there!

areyoumydude

Oct 21, 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #4 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's "The Creek" not IC people.

There are accsess issues going on right now( check out accsess and closers forum).

Try to use the toilet at newspaper rock or bring WAG bags. Pack it in pack it out. Camping at the superbowl campground is further away from the ranch. The further away you are from them the better seeing as they are the ones that are having an issue with climbers impact.

Oh yeah, Have fun!

sspssp

Oct 21, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Think carefully about whether or not to use tape. Many users of this site will accuse you of "aid" climbing or "cheating" for using tape. If you agree with them and don't value the skin on the backs of your hands, then by all means, leave the tape for sissies like me.

My personal opinion (and I realize it is just that), is that people that don't use tape and bleed all over a route are being rude. Bleeding on a route is definitely the definition of "bad style".

Have a blast at the Creek. The creek can cycle between hot and cold in a short time. Come prepared for all conditions. It is around an hour to get back to town. Come prepared with food and water if you don't want to have to keep driving back.

cb4

Oct 25, 2005, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a big one. If it rains DO NOT climb at Indian creek , or any other sandstone, until the rock has had at least a half day of direct sunlight to dry. I have been to the creek 5 times when people have climbed too soon after a rain and decked because of gear pulling. Every fall was serious. I cannot overstate this. Anyone who tells you different is full of shit.

littlefingers

Nov 9, 2005, 2:43 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since a bunch of locals are posting here... I thought I'd take advantage and seek advice: 1) I'm dying to get to the creek- positively drooling at each photo. 2) Have one winter trip and it MUST be just after Christmas and over New Years.... so I'm debating between Red Rocks (which will be warm) and Indian Creek (which is pretty cold that time of year- no?).

I'm leaning to Red Rocks and might save Indian Creek for Spring (unless I'm covinced I could still feel my fingers when hand jamming....) what are your thoughts?

-m

johnhemlock

Nov 9, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a degenerate card player and stripper fancier, so would prefer Vegas to IC as a destination, although the experiences aren't particularly comparable. Red Rocks isn't necessarily warm during the week you are thinking about visiting. I have climbed there over New Years in heavy fleece and plenty of layers. But it will still probably be warmer than the Creek.

vegastradguy

Nov 9, 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the rock may not be hard on the hands at first, but smooth sandstone and constant crack climbing may be a first for the OP, in which case tape may be a wise thing.

if you've logged thousands of feet on Yosemite cracks or other places that can be solely crack climbing, then dont worry about taping. If you're somewhat new to crack climbing- tape up or you'll get one day of climbing and thats about it.

tarzan420

Nov 9, 2005, 3:45 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Indian Creek (which is pretty cold that time of year- no?)

I drove through/scoped out some climbs shortly after new years this past year (like jan 4-8 or so). It was definitely climbable, but you'll definitely be much more comfortable if the weather cooperates - ie. if you're able to catch a clear sunny day and climb in the sun, it'll probably be good. However, if it's real cloudy, windy, or you just end up in the shade, you'll probably be miserable.

Hard to say (never been to RR) but it seems like RR might be a better bet. Not to mention if you can't climb there, at least you can go gamble all your money away, right?

littlefingers

Nov 9, 2005, 4:16 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hard to say (never been to RR) but it seems like RR might be a better bet. Not to mention if you can't climb there, at least you can go gamble all your money away, right?

but then I couldn't afford the tickets to Indian creek in the spring!!
it's hard enough to go through life with one addiction- got to limit my vices if I'm going to make it through- :wink:

Red Rocks it is. Either way it would be sweet enough for me...

ddriver

Nov 9, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since a bunch of locals are posting here... I thought I'd take advantage and seek advice: 1) I'm dying to get to the creek- positively drooling at each photo. 2) Have one winter trip and it MUST be just after Christmas and over New Years.... so I'm debating between Red Rocks (which will be warm) and Indian Creek (which is pretty cold that time of year- no?).

I'm leaning to Red Rocks and might save Indian Creek for Spring (unless I'm covinced I could still feel my fingers when hand jamming....) what are your thoughts?

-m

I don't think there is much difference in normal weather between the two. One thing to remember about Red Rocks is that its a bit higher in elevation that Vegas and the temps are correspondingly lower, so its easy to be deceived by looking at the Vegas forecast. You also have more of a localized weather system there due to the mountain backdrop and canyon settings. It can be surprisingly cool there. The creek can be warm because of the sheltered south-facing settings. It can also get damn cold at night. I'm not trying to stear you either way. Its certainly a lot cheaper and easier to get to Vegas if you're flying, and the sport climbing areas can be warm and sheltered as well.

climbingbums

Nov 9, 2005, 4:40 PM
Post #13 of 13 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill be up there, and it sounds like a bunch of other people will as well. me and some buddies are going up for the weekend. my only real advice, have a shitload of cams, and have fun.

bobby

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook