Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gvipatagonia

Oct 17, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Patagonia Expedition Leader Required
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Plan and lead challenging exploratory treks in Argentine Patagonia – Train expedition members in basic winter mountaineering skills – Be part of a small in-country staff team

8 month contract from December 2005 - Option of extending - All expenses in-country covered + US$100 per week + £500 flight contribution

Required Qualifications: ML(Winter) and SPA minimum (or US equivalent) - Spanish an advantage

See www.gvi.co.uk or email a CV and brief covering letter to patagonia@gvi.co.uk

tempestwind

Oct 18, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Re: Patagonia Expedition Leader Required [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

100.00 a week???What kind of 3rd world pay scale is that??? Come on Guy... RMI Guides here state side make that per day with free housing...And you are asking for an "Expedition Leader"??? :lol:

montaniero

Oct 18, 2005, 8:50 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
100.00 a week???What kind of 3rd world pay scale is that??? Come on Guy... RMI Guides here state side make that per day with free housing...And you are asking for an "Expedition Leader"??? :lol:

A cop in Argentina make $400 US dollars a month for putting his life in the line of fire, so I don't find strange that people there will be willing to lead a trekking group for that much money. Sounds like a good deal for a local guy wanting to make some money during the summer.

gvipatagonia

Oct 18, 2005, 6:47 PM
Post #4 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Tempestwind, your reply is appreciated.

I myself am working for GVI in Argentina on a salary of $100 a week happily. Work expenses are paid, and extras are cheap.

I used to earn more as a Captain in the British army but this is very much a lifestyle option. A good one as well.

tempestwind

Oct 19, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

A cop in Argentina make $400 US dollars a month for putting his life in the line of fire, so I don't find strange that people there will be willing to lead a trekking group for that much money. Sounds like a good deal for a local guy wanting to make some money during the summer.

No way REALLY????????
In China a Factory worker makes about $40.00 a month...
In India a call center worker who has is master degree makes about $150.00 amonth

cmor

Oct 19, 2005, 3:08 AM
Post #6 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was wondering what an ML winter is and a SPA. Thanks

montaniero

Oct 19, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #7 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????
In India a call center worker who has is master degree makes about $150.00 amonth

Yes, and men are from Mars and women are from Venus, blah, blah, blah. But how the hell cares about a factory worker in China or a Call center operator in India?? We are talking about a job in Argentina, you dipshit.

alpine_monk

Oct 19, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^I like him.^^^

onsight_endorphines

Oct 19, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like an awesome position. Makes me wish I was qualified...

builttospill

Oct 19, 2005, 5:53 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????

They're different countries. Kind of like how you're basing your perception of $100 a week on your cushy, inflated pay here in America (or wherever), they don't relate.

Plus, and I don't have the numbers in front of me, I'd venture to guess that you could like a whole lot cheaper in Argentina than here. Find a consumer price index for the country and you'll probably be shocked.

Now, that's not saying $100 is lucrative, it's not.....but it'd be a cool position probably. And if you don't want it, oh well--someone else does.

knowsam

Oct 19, 2005, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on the climbing you'd get to do. If you get to spend 8 months climbing, awesome, challenging peaks, then you're getting $ 800 for a trip that most of us would pay for. That's not a job its a trip you're leading. If you're climbing repetitive climbs that don't interest you and are not challenging, with clients who expect you to baby them along- then it’s just a job and the money plays more of a factor.

lambone

Oct 19, 2005, 3:59 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$100 a week is equivelant to about $300 Ar. Pesos.

gvipatagonia

Oct 19, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An ML is a Mountain Leader and an SPA is a Single Pitch Award. They are both UK outdoor qualifications.

Briefly an ML qualification allows you to lead treks and the SPA allows you to run single pitch climbs.

The awards themselves are not required if you could prove an equivalent qualification.

Hope this helps,

tempestwind

Oct 20, 2005, 5:20 AM
Post #14 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????

Yes, and men are from Mars and women are from Venus, blah, blah, blah. But how the hell cares about a factory worker in China or a Call center operator in India?? We are talking about a job in Argentina, you s---.
THERE IS ABSOLUTLEY NO REASON TO CUSS..IT SAYS UNDER YOUR NAME "MIND AND BODY"..I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TYPING FILTH DISPLAYS "MIND AND BODY"...Everyone else replied in Non-Savage manner but YOU... The gentleman who wrote this topic replied in a very professional manner...This is RC.com..Have some respect for yourself...I am not trying disrespect your country in any form...
The obvious is slapping you in your face.If you even have to ask then you are even more lame than I thought...FYI $100.00 a week here in the US is not enough money to live on let alone save.....I don't see this AD being PLACED IN YOUR LOCAL CLASSIFIEDS NOW DO I!!!!!!!!????
If I am not mistaken the currencey is in US dollars RIGHT!!!!!!????

landgolier

Oct 20, 2005, 6:57 AM
Post #15 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wanted, rope gun with winch for crappy fake ecotourism company. Must be able to make rich saps believe that their climbing vacation constitutes "Mak[ing] a difference in some of the world’s most critical conservation and community projects with Global Vision International and selected partner organisations."

Pay: Almost enough to cover the cost of certifications we require. You're on your own on the work visa

And get real guys, Argentina may have some rural areas and it's not quite as expensive as the US, but this ain't some underdeveloped backwater with kids standing around with distended bellies and flies all over them.

Proof that the ourward bound/nols business model works almost anywhere...

builttospill

Oct 20, 2005, 7:55 AM
Post #16 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

landgolier: I agree with you on the OB/NOLS comments.....but to make my point, Argentina is a relatively cheaper place to live.

I'm not saying it's like visiting the Congo, but it is cheaper. I just found some real estate numbers for Buenos Aires. This used to be the most expensive place in South America, and it's still up there. Outside BA will be much cheaper. But the strife down there over the course of the last 5 years or so has led to economic destabilization that dropped the currency exchange rate in favor of those travelling to the country. Once a bastion for rich expatriates and others, Buenos Aires is now affordable, relatively speaking.

Studio apartments in BA go for as little as $20K. That's pretty cheap, given that it's the most expensive place in the country.

$100 a week is still not much. But hell, I only make $420 a week, and I'm busting my ass. And it costs me $250 a month to rent a room (in a cheap market at that!).....how much is a mortgage payment on a $20K studio apartment? Like $115 a month on a 30 year fixed (obviously I don't know the banking situation in Argentina, but damn!). Hell, I should move down there.

montaniero

Oct 21, 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????

Yes, and men are from Mars and women are from Venus, blah, blah, blah. But how the hell cares about a factory worker in China or a Call center operator in India?? We are talking about a job in Argentina, you s---.
THERE IS ABSOLUTLEY NO REASON TO CUSS..IT SAYS UNDER YOUR NAME "MIND AND BODY"..I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TYPING FILTH DISPLAYS "MIND AND BODY"...Everyone else replied in Non-Savage manner but YOU... The gentleman who wrote this topic replied in a very professional manner...This is RC.com..Have some respect for yourself...I am not trying disrespect your country in any form...
The obvious is slapping you in your face.If you even have to ask then you are even more lame than I thought...FYI $100.00 a week here in the US is not enough money to live on let alone save.....I don't see this AD being PLACED IN YOUR LOCAL CLASSIFIEDS NOW DO I!!!!!!!!????

You little prick, you still don't get, do you? It's not enough that we are talking about salaries in Argentina and you jump with your stupid ranting about salaries in China and India, but you get all "cry baby" because someone with knowledge about the situation gets you straighten up. :lol:

It's clear that you are some dumb prick that have never got out of his comfy and cushy little mountain town in the US of A filled with Starbucks and REIs and never have been to Argentina, let alone India and China. But if you don't have anything valuable to post shut your pipe or get ready for this kind of bashing.

I know perfectly how much U$100 can buy in your country as I lived there for a while, but I also lived in many other places around the world where U$100 buys a whole lot more. The gentleman who wrote this topic replied in a very professional manner because he's looking for potential applicants. I don't have that prerogative. Respect for myself I have, it's for big mouth dipshits like you that I don't have any left. Now you can start crying again. :lol:

tempestwind

Oct 22, 2005, 4:57 AM
Post #18 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????

You little prick, you still don't get, do you? It's not enough that we are talking about salaries in Argentina and you jump with your stupid ranting about salaries in China and India, but you get all "cry baby" because someone with knowledge about the situation gets you straighten up. :lol:

It's clear that you are some dumb prick that have never got out of his comfy and cushy little mountain town in the US of A filled with Starbucks and REIs and never have been to Argentina, let alone India and China. But if you don't have anything valuable to post shut your pipe or get ready for this kind of bashing.

I know perfectly how much U$100 can buy in your country as I lived there for a while, but I also lived in many other places around the world where U$100 buys a whole lot more. The gentleman who wrote this topic replied in a very professional manner because he's looking for potential applicants. I don't have that prerogative. Respect for myself I have, it's for big mouth s--- like you that I don't have any left. Now you can start crying again. :lol:

"Gets You Straighten UP"???
IIs that a form of E-E-E-ba-ba-ba-bonics??????? So what do you have against R.E.I.???? I am sure you have a form of R.E.I down there as well..And what do you have against Starbucks or Mountain Towns for that matter as well....Are you trying to insinuate that your a "Rugged Macho Man" Graa!!! Such tension such hostility such JEALOUSY..Not to mention a text book case of IGNORANCE AND AMERICAN BASHING.....This could go on and on and on and on...It is real Easy for you to talk all that crap from the safety of your seat behind your "computadora"...Face to face I know for a fact you would have your tail between your legs with your head bent downward.....Since your such a bad ass and don't like to reply with a little intelect , wha wha what is your "prerogative"..????
Actually Patagonia is very beautiful from what I have seen ...Not to mention Argentinian woman uhhhhmmm-mmmmm...Just thinking about it makes my eyes roll back like that monster from "Jeepers Creepers 2"....I am sure you have seen Jeepers Creepers 2? Right? Remember that scene where he is scoping out those kids in the bus and then that with certain one he starts to lick his lips and his eyes roll back...Well thats the same feeling I get when I think of Argentinian women..Lip smacking good hmmm-mmmm. :twisted:

jerrygarcia

Oct 22, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #19 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
said some really dumb stuff.

Tempest, I dont cuss or spew filth very often but shut the fuck up okay?

grinspoon

Oct 22, 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. STFU dude

montaniero

Oct 22, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No way REALLY????????

I know perfectly how much U$100 can buy in your country as I lived there for a while, but I also lived in many other places around the world where U$100 buys a whole lot more. The gentleman who wrote this topic replied in a very professional manner because he's looking for potential applicants. I don't have that prerogative. Respect for myself I have, it's for big mouth s--- like you that I don't have any left. Now you can start crying again. :lol:

"Gets You Straighten UP"???
IIs that a form of E-E-E-ba-ba-ba-bonics??????? So what do you have against R.E.I.???? I am sure you have a form of R.E.I down there as well..And what do you have against Starbucks or Mountain Towns for that matter as well....Are you trying to insinuate that your a "Rugged Macho Man" Graa!!! Such tension such hostility such JEALOUSY..Not to mention a text book case of IGNORANCE AND AMERICAN BASHING.....This could go on and on and on and on...It is real Easy for you to talk all that crap from the safety of your seat behind your "computadora"...Face to face I know for a fact you would have your tail between your legs with your head bent downward.....Since your such a bad ass and don't like to reply with a little intelect , wha wha what is your "prerogative"..????
Actually Patagonia is very beautiful from what I have seen ...Not to mention Argentinian woman uhhhhmmm-mmmmm...Just thinking about it makes my eyes roll back like that monster from "Jeepers Creepers 2"....I am sure you have seen Jeepers Creepers 2? Right? Remember that scene where he is scoping out those kids in the bus and then that with certain one he starts to lick his lips and his eyes roll back...Well thats the same feeling I get when I think of Argentinian women..Lip smacking good hmmm-mmmm. :twisted:

I love little mountain towns.
I love Return Everything Incorporated (unfortunately, not such thing over here as in if you buy it, you keep it).
I like Starbucks (not crazy about it, as here in Europe is much easier to get a decent cup of coffee without going to Starbucks).
I love America, I got my wife and my education there (I don't get it when you say I am bashing America, I'M JUST BASHING YOU).

You know for a FACT that face to face I will have my tail between my legs? So what's that fact? Please expose it, if not you are AGAIN talking like a big mouth dipshit without solid arguments, like when you were recently talking about salaries in Argentina.

I'd never heard of "Jeepers Creepers 2", but I guess that with a name like that it can't be a great film, can it? Trust me I'm not jealous of you (or your film tastes, for that matter), just disrepectful for big mouth dipshits that always want to have the last word about a subject even if they don't have the slightest clue about it.

P.S.: Congratulations, you know how to say "computer" in spanish! Do you know how to say "dipshit" in spanish.

builttospill

Oct 22, 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously tempest, shut up.

philfell

Oct 22, 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #23 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
$100 a week is equivelant to about $300 Ar. Pesos.

Close, as of last month, it would be $285 Ar. Pesoes.

The exchange rate right now is great for us right now in Argentina, too bad the country is so hard to travel around in compared to Chile.

philfell

Oct 22, 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #24 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tempest?????? An Rei in Argentina!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha, thanks for the laugh, that really goes to show how uneducated you really are.

Good one though about saying how the person living in Argentina post in ebonics. English is probably his second, or thrid, maybe even his fourth langauge, I would expect nothing less than perfect grammer from you when responding in Spanish though.

Rei in Argentina, that still makes me chuckle.

tempestwind

Oct 23, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #25 of 34 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
said some really dumb stuff.

Tempest, I dont cuss or spew filth very often but shut the f--- up okay?

South lake Tahoe is such a beatiful area.Damn your lucky.As for me STFUing..I think your going a bit overboard..BTW..Nice mug pic..I was going to shred you but after I had a peep at that pic..My chuckel turned into a laugh..But Hey at least its not as bad as Moby... :P

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook