RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

phile

Oct 20, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Zion narrows this time of year?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, I'm going to be roadtripping from SLC to Vegas in about a week. I'd like to hit all the desert highlights, and an overnight trip in the Zion Narrows sounds like a very cool hike. Is this an ok time of year to take it on? Sounds like the water is pretty damn cold, but it must be fairly low right now?

If you have any suggestions about any other non-climbing must do's between Indian Creek and Red Rocks, I'd love to hear 'em. I've been wanting to see this part of the country for a long time.

Thanks!

phile

Oct 20, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Re: Zion narrows this time of year? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[bump]

mcfoley

Oct 20, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bryce canyon (you can hike it in about an hour), Capitol reef NP, N rim of the GC?

rockprodigy

Oct 21, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You would want a drysuit to do it this time of year. They can be rented in Springdale.

I don't recommend it. What about hiking the west rim into the canyon? That would be much warmer.

brianinslc

Oct 21, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi all, I'm going to be roadtripping from SLC to Vegas in about a week. I'd like to hit all the desert highlights, and an overnight trip in the Zion Narrows sounds like a very cool hike. Is this an ok time of year to take it on? Sounds like the water is pretty damn cold, but it must be fairly low right now?

Brrrr. Full wetsuit at least, this time of year. Water, while lower now, is still high due to the immense snow pack up high from last winter's stellar snowpack. Canyons that usually dry up by now are still running water. There will be very deep and prolonged wading in the narrows even this time of year.

I've done Imlay Canyon in the winter. Full on dry suit. You can rent if need be at a couple locations in Springdale.

Hike Angel's Landing. Canyoneer Pine Creek. Hike/climb Lady Mountain. Hike up and see the Subway (or down from Russel Gulch but have wetsuit/drysuits for cold water protection).

Another neat overnighter in Zion is the hike from Lava Point and out the West Rim, down past Angels Landing to the valley floor. Especially if you can set up a car shuttle (some commercially available in Springdale). East Rim is pretty cool too. Mystery Canyon would have less water exposure and a short hike out the Narrows to the paved trail.

Good luck!

-Brian in SLC

angrymarmot

Oct 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just there last week and had an excellent time. If you do anything in Zion, do the Narrows and Angels Landing.

Do yourself a favor and rent a pair of 5.10 Canyoneers from the Narrows Outfitters or the Zion Adventure Center inside Springdale just outside the park. Your feet will stay nice and warm all day.

phile

Oct 22, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome, thanks guys. much appreciated. narrows, here I come, and maybe the subway and pine creek if there's time.

tenesmus

Oct 22, 2005, 9:55 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

listen to them on the drysuit. We did Mystery last weekend and the only really cold part was walking out the 500yards down the narrows. This week is supposed to be really warm though.

phile

Oct 23, 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yup, I'm going to be a full-on rental-package yuppie on this trip. gimme the sticky hiking boots, etc...

pawilkes

Oct 23, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Zion Adventure Company's website, www.zionoutdoors.com . you might want to call ahead of time and make sure they're open before you get down there. i know they're hours are changing as the season is wrapping up but if you call ahead of time people will be sure to meet you there.

kellymoe

Oct 23, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Zion a few days ago. It was cold and rainy. The river was VERY high due to the rain. I would talk to the local outfitters and get ther opinion on doing the Narrows. If you do Pine Creek make sure you have two 165' ropes. The last rappel is 120 and you need to double rope it. Lots of people get stuck by only taking one rope and end up spending the night in the canyon. For a quick fun canyon do the Keyhole. It takes about an 45 min to an hour and a 80 rope is sufficient. We did the Keyhole at night last summer and had a blast. Have fun.

tenesmus

Oct 23, 2005, 7:51 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was in Zion a few days ago. It was cold and rainy. The river was VERY high due to the rain. I would talk to the local outfitters and get ther opinion on doing the Narrows. If you do Pine Creek make sure you have two 165' ropes. The last rappel is 120 and you need to double rope it. Lots of people get stuck by only taking one rope and end up spending the night in the canyon. For a quick fun canyon do the Keyhole. It takes about an 45 min to an hour and a 80 rope is sufficient. We did the Keyhole at night last summer and had a blast. Have fun.
Don't believe it. A 60 meter rope works fine for the last rappell in pine creek. we even had a static line without stretch and it was fine. did it 7 days ago.

kellymoe

Oct 23, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Don't believe it. A 60 meter rope works fine for the last rappell in pine creek. we even had a static line without stretch and it was fine. did it 7 days ago.

That is good to know. I always brought two 150's actualy so maybe thats why. All the guides I have read recently say the last rappel is 120'. I never get used to that last rappel, big pucker fsactor for me and my mind starts to imagine anchors pulling or webbing tearing and falling onto that spine of rock that juts out halfway down :shock: Anyway it's good to know 60m rope will work. I recently bought 200' of Blue Water Canyoneering rope and a 80' foot rope. The canyoneering rope is great. Hardly any absorbtion and VERY light. My next goal is to Kayak the Narrows from the top in the spring, should be an awsome trip. Have fun and be safe.

phile

Nov 18, 2005, 6:01 AM
Post #14 of 14 (2650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back. Zion is amazing. Did the narrows on tues/wed of last week and the subway on thurs. I was the only person going top-down on both trips--it was incredible to have the narrows to myself for most of 2 days. Gotta get back to zion asap. Dry pants were plenty for the narrows (got wet but stayed warm), but I wouldn't have minded a dry suit for that long swim in the subway--took me a while to warm back up and drain the pants. Thanks to all for the advice!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook