RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

likethegoddess

Aug 4, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Don't forget to stretch your hands
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just read the "crimping pains" thread and I'm concerned. I'm concerned that all of us may not being taking good care of our hands. I'm a bodyworker by profession and there's no way I could keep doing what I do if I didn't do regular hand stretches. Here's a routine I learned in school that you might like. Please, feel free to post your own routines if you like. If any of this doesn't make sense, please let me know. It's harder to explain this without the visuals.

1) Wrist Stretch
Hold your hand facing you, like holding up a book. Place your opposite palm across it horizontally, coverin fingers and thumb. Extend your arm and use the other hand to stretch your wrist, fingers pointing down. Repeat on other hand.

2) Finger Stretches
Stretch each finger back individually, using a finger or two from the opposite hand on the finger pads. Repeat on other hand.

3) Finger Flexes
Bend each toward the palm individually, using a couple fingers from the opposite hand. Start at the knuckle closest to the palm and work out to the furthest.

4) Finger Pulls
Pull each finger out aligned in the same plane with the palm, using a couple of fingers rolled around each.

5) Shake Out

These work well as part of a warm-up as well as between climbs.

vaness

Aug 5, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Don't forget to stretch your hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey most of those were helpfull! thanks! i do the finger stretch (#2) even when im not climbing. when my fingers feel tight it helps to make the pain go away.

okieterry

Aug 6, 2002, 1:41 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LTG, thanks for the stretches. Your kind of post is why I like to use this site. Your post is helpful, positive, and will help me to climb better.
Terry

overlord

Aug 6, 2002, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is the first thing i was taught when i started climbing.

CLIMB ON

wildtrail

Aug 6, 2002, 7:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish that was all it took to get into shape!

Great advice!

Steve

likethegoddess

Aug 7, 2002, 4:48 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks for the kudos, all. There a couple things I forgot that I got from Tai Chi class, silk cocoon exercises. I still use them.

Tiger's Paw:
Hold your hands out, with elbows bent, horizontal to the ground. Bend your fingers and thumb at the second knuckle (counting form the palm out) and back. Thumb should curl under the palm. Hand should be flat till the second knuckle. Crunch these 40 times.

Tiger's Mouth:
Same posture as Tiger's Paw. Start position is the closed position of Tiger's Paw, fingers bent at the second knuckles. Now, bend you fingers at the first knuckle, closing your fist like a tiger closing its mouth, and back. Crunch these 40 times as well. Then shake out.

okieterry

Aug 7, 2002, 7:57 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, but you lost me on the tiger exercises. Do you have any figures or pictures of these?
Terry

likethegoddess

Aug 8, 2002, 7:17 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm afraid I don't. My internet searches don't bring anything back either. If you're interested though, think about learning the whole series of silk cocoon (chan ssu) exercizes. They're focused on loosening the joints. They're great for flexibility and relaxing connective tissue. You can check out www.taichido.com for more general info and page for finding a local teacher. Sorry I didn't describe it better.

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 9, 2002, 2:04 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah yes, the climber's hands. A very important tool. It can break him, yet it can create him. Hands are the most important part of any climbing technique, and that's a fact. I'm glad someone has brought this to my attention, as I think the hands go generally unnoticed when it comes to stretching exercises.

You have made your concern of climbers not taking care of their hands my concern. I will admit, in the past I never really did use to stretch my hands before a climb, let alone stretch any part of my body. Recently, as I have become more wise to the ways of climbing, I stretch regularly before climbs, and am now beginning to stretch the hands.

Your stretching examples/explanations are very helpful and self-explanatory. I found no trouble at all in performing them sitting in front of the monitor as I read on.

Thank you for your concern!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook