Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner euroford

Oct 25, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #1 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

midwest ice.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

damn i just can't think about anything but ice right now.

though i've taken advantage of everything that came in, its been 3 years i've lived here and i've not yet had a real solid ice season yet. its just been too warm and slushy! i still havn't gotten to climb at starved rock yet, governor dodge has been nothing special and though i've managed to have a blast near munising it as well has been less than ideal.

i got my vipers and bionics all razor sharp, a bunch of new screamers laced up with nuetrino's, some sweet new softshell pants and even new laces in my la sportivas. though i havn't be out for much trad in the last month, i've been keeping up the workout and lost a bit of weight. should be ripped just in time for the ice to come in.

and i dunno why, but i just got this feelin like this year is going to be a cold one. and ya see that right now? yup, thats fall rain going on. good news!

i'm thinking this year we'll do better about hitting all the little spots around IL & WI, make a 3 day weekend or two up to Munising and spend a week covering the area between Thunder Bay and Nipigon.

so who's with me? who else is so freekin excited about getting getting out the cutlerly that they damn near pee on the floor cocker spanial style?

skinner

Oct 25, 2005, 1:01 PM
Post #2 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Re: midwest ice. [In reply to]
Report this Post

Damn I am excited too and was planning some trips when I found out that I cannot carry my ice axe on a plane!

http://www.netspy.net/...omeland-security.jpg

I guess I can live with that, but now I have to leave my cattle prod, meat cleaver, and portable power saw at home too?

Damn I was planning on taking my table saw with me on my next climbing trip, just in case I wanted to "spruce up" base camp a bit.. of course that's only if they let me bring a generator and a gerry can of gas. (which I don't see on the list)

brewtoad

Oct 25, 2005, 1:41 PM
Post #3 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

It'll be a long drive from Chi-town but you should join us for the first annual Sandstone Icefest in Sandstone, Minnesota (off I35 heading north towards Duluth). This event will be December 10 and 11.
Check out http://www.sandstoneicefest.com
Hope to see you there!
Nodin, W-Trek Outfitters

Partner euroford

Oct 28, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #4 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

how sad, nine responses in a thread about devils lake bouldering and only two about midwest ice climbing. soft, way too soft! :D

since you can't bring your axes on the plane, at least you can wear your 'pons. they'll never expect the ankle kick of death. lemme tell ya, nothing changes the attitude of a would be terrorist quicker than some Bionic forged fronpoints to the shin.

i am actually seriously considering some spots up in minnisota, yeah its a long drive, but we can hack it! years of midwest climbing have taught us well to put down miles.

soillclimber

Oct 28, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

9 replies about Devils Lake bouldering and less about Midwest Ice...it could be that people think you are kidding. Seriously though, if it is a good year, be sure to go to Starved Rock. It has some great ice. Long and steep. Also a few short flows, good for warming up. If there is the super rare, perfect combo of conditions (about once every 50 years); So Ill has some great ice climbing. Mainly due to the amount of waterfalls and canyons. If that happens, Ill post and email you. Good climbing.

justsendingits

Oct 29, 2005, 5:07 AM
Post #6 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Euro, i'm down with the ice, I know some secret spots in So.Ill.
PM me later when the ice comes in.

Rich

PS. I might hang a couple ropes next weekend down there and let the ice form(ice farming)

onbelay007

Oct 29, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #7 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

only in scotch euroford

Partner euroford

Oct 30, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #8 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
only in scotch euroford

yer IT guy fall asleep at the wheel and let you through the firewall?

onbelay007

Nov 1, 2005, 2:34 AM
Post #9 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Two new guidebooks just came out for the Batchawana Bay and Agawa Canyon area.

Partner euroford

Nov 2, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #10 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Two new guidebooks just came out for the Batchawana Bay and Agawa Canyon area.

no kidding eh, you got a link where we can buy them?

onbelay007

Nov 2, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #11 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com

We should probably pick these up because we are notorious for wasting time looking for the climbs

Partner euroford

Nov 2, 2005, 3:11 PM
Post #12 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com

We should probably pick these up because we are notorious for wasting time looking for the climbs

us? i dunno what yer talking about.

so where is dairyland anyways??? :x

climbia

Nov 2, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #13 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm in need of ice climbing partner, can I come and play too. I just started last year but the wife is sick of me cuddling with my tools in bed. wait... that didn't sound right. :lol:

ozarkclimber

Nov 2, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #14 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i'm curious about these secret spots in SoIll and the farming, the last time I saw ice down there it had been about 15 degrees for about 2 weeks. Add me to your list to notify when the ice comes in. I've got some new cobras itchin to make their first strike...

all this ice talk is making my mouth water...

onbelay007

Nov 5, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #15 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

the more the merrier

shaun_parent

Nov 7, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #16 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Midwest Ice to check out [In reply to]
Report this Post

If you ice climb in the upper peninsula of Michigan, take another 2 hours and drive across into Ontario at Sault Ste. Marie. Just 35 minutes up highway 17 are many great ice climbing areas beginning with the climbs on Mile 38 road.
There are well over 100 routes in the area of Batchawana Bay, with easy access and all levels of climbs. Longer routes are accessible by snow machine. The Voyageurs lodge in Batchawana Bay on Highway 17 is centrally located for the ice climbs of Cerro-De-Hielo and Mile 38 road.See the ice photo gallery on www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com for samples of many of these climbs.

talus_

Nov 7, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #17 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

you should check out sandstone. tony will be swinging his axes (the old man and the pioneer, i believe) and there are sure to be some good stories once the beers come out.

one question: will there be any freaking ice???!?!?!?!

onbelay007

Nov 8, 2005, 1:47 AM
Post #18 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Re: Midwest Ice to check out [In reply to]
Report this Post

Well the Chicago forecast for tomorrow is near 70 so we've got a long way to go until the ice comes around (if it does at all).

I haven't picked up the new guidebooks yet but the are the easily accessible climbs some of the tall ones I've heard about or do you need a snowmobile for those climbs?

haas

Nov 8, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #19 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For the best routes, the good long ones, you need a snowmobile or take the train in. Almost everything you can reach by car is short single pitch, generally 25m and under

joewi6

Nov 8, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #20 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Having been to both the Voyagers lodge in Batchawana and the Mad
Moose (AKA CRAZED MOOSE) in Montreal River I have found the following.
The area near the Moose has short climbs all less then 25 meters, and any of the climbs worth doing are in the Superior park. The long ones are off limits for ever and there are only 2 climbs worth doing. Mother of Pearl and Auroroa Borealis. Usually lots of top ropers on these climbs anyhow. The moose is 40 minutes north of Batchawana 36 miles not a few miles as Haus has posted. It can take you an hour to get there is the roads are bad.
The moose folks informed me during a visit there that they do not carry any of the guidebooks to the area either rock or ice, some of there Beta was way off on grade and location of climbs. Word is that they are "piggbacking" on the rock and ice developments and work of Shaun P. The Moose has contributed lil if nothing to the climbing scene in Montreal River Harbour. The climbers that live there have done only a few of the big climbs, are mainly top ropers and learned to climb from Shaun P. They mainly concentrate their efforts on Tower Road where the climbs of 10 to 20 feet high on the the 2 most notable climbs in the park as mentioned above.

The area of Batchawana near the Voyager is 30 minutes north of the Sault and has long climbs just north and the long climbs of mile 38 road something like over 120. All guidebooks to the region are available at the Voyager lodge. See www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com They are supposae to be opening a gear shop next door.
Haus says that the Moose is more friendly, they might be after a few beers which makes them CRAZED in the evenings. Try to arrive there after 10:30 pm and you will be greeted at the door with a cold one.

While climbing with them you are sure to get a "BUZZ" too if you go with the right folks. but the accommodation and food is below standard as compared with the Voyagers Lodge. It is rated as the best between the Sault and Wawa. Check out the parking lot when you drive by day or evening. The problem is that they are closed till January 4th. Until then check out the Harmony Beach Hotel, and the locals!
As for snow machining to climbs there are snow machine rentals in batchawana bay and the locals will shuttle you into climbs in the morning, and pick you up in the afternoon.
Best bet for serious climbers that want lots of routes, and no hassle from the highway plow trucks or the park staff is to stop at the Voyagers and speak to the folks that hang out there as they climb the ice, live in the area and walk the walk, and climb the climbs.

Partner euroford

Nov 13, 2005, 4:10 PM
Post #21 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

thanks for all the good info everybody. the two lodges are definitly a possability, but i think we'll also have to consider some more standard hotels. any recomendations?

also it looks like we should seriously consider renting a sled, any recomendations on where to get that hookup around Batchwanna?

joewi6

Nov 14, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #22 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

For sled rentals search www.algomacountry.com or www.tourismsaultstemarie.com or ask at the toursim office just into the Sault on the right of customs.

yikes

Nov 15, 2005, 5:06 PM
Post #23 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Joe (that is you right?),
Do you know of any ice that comes in this early?
Are you and Jon planning on taking a trip up North soon (maybe on Thanksgiving, hint) or is this when you're planning to be in RMNP?
Jason (sandbagger, literally)

anybody else know anything about conditions in CA yet, there's nothing posted to climbingcentral and I'm too new to know

Partner euroford

Nov 17, 2005, 2:23 PM
Post #24 of 42 (6449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

well, when i went to bed last night the temp. read 28 deg. when i woke up it was 12 deg. so officially we in the chicago area have experienced our first fully frozen night.

is starved rock in yet?

:D

yikes

Nov 17, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #25 of 42 (6397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

given chicago's latititude I don't care to use it as a barometer for anything but starved rock

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook