Forums: Climbing Information: General:
If your gonna bring your dog/kid to the crag...!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

jabtocrag

Oct 25, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #51 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Re: If your gonna bring your dog/kid to the crag...! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Guess what dude? You are living in my world. If you happen to be at a crag I am at, you get to deal with it. If you don't like it leave. That is how it is.

That kind of attitude makes you sound like a selfish ass. This isn't about my enjoyment being disrupted. This also isn't about climbing at the crag. In any social situation, if you, your kid, your dog, or anyone else for whom you're responsible is acting inappropriately and ruining the atmosphere for others, it's decent, courteous and the responsible thing to try to remedy the situation. If you can't see this, I feel sorry for those who are forced to deal with you on a daily basis.

killclimbz

Oct 25, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #52 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Guess what dude? You are living in my world. If you happen to be at a crag I am at, you get to deal with it. If you don't like it leave. That is how it is.

That kind of attitude makes you sound like a selfish ass. This isn't about my enjoyment being disrupted. This also isn't about climbing at the crag. In any social situation, if you, your kid, your dog, or anyone else for whom you're responsible is acting inappropriately and ruining the atmosphere for others, it's decent, courteous and the responsible thing to try to remedy the situation. If you can't see this, I feel sorry for those who are forced to deal with you on a daily basis.

A little slow today are we? Hook, line, sinker...

crimpandgo

Oct 25, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #53 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I can't believe I got sucked into this topic. Everything... EVERYTHING... written in this thread has been hashed and rehashed several times before, if you really want to participate, just read one or two the redundant dog and child threads below. It's all been said... including what I just wrote. :x

Yeah? Well what about those who bring their whiney little significant others to the crag? That really annoys the crap out of me. They should leave them at home. I am so sick of hearing, "I can't" or "I have to hike all the way up there?" or "I don't want to let go!". At least snap a muzzle on them... :twisted:

What???? I can't climb without the whiney significant other. She ismy belay partner :)

A note on earlier post. Lots of us are having fun at the crags... and with this post as well. :)

On a serious note. It should be obvious how quickly things can get out of control. Dogs and kids messing (no pun intended) brings out the worst in people. As much as I have come to appreciate the "friendly" nature of most climbers, I have also learned to respect their need to for personal space. Most real climbers got involved in climbing for the love of the outdoors and the solitude it provides. That is being lost due to overcrowding and a few bad apples of course.

Get used to it? Tolerate it maybe. Get used to it, I doubt it. I personally have lost interest recently in many of the local crags and climbing on holiday weekends due to this very problem. I have accepted the problem, but it is a bit unfortunate in my personal oppinion. With a little bit of respect for others, we all could get along.... REALLY we could

Peace

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 25, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #54 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...push out the Jive....

...bring in the Love...

will0

Oct 25, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #55 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to complete the sentence: "don't bring them at the same time." I have in the past brought both my son and my dog (but not on the same trip). I feel bringing both at the same time would be too much to keep tabs on while climbing or belaying. Like I read earlier in this thread when I bring my son he is climbing. When I want to do some serious climbing he stays at home. I think it is about respecting other climbers (and their space) as well as the local crag. I also like to go to less crowded spots with the dog so I know when he is exploring he won't be bothering other people.

markc

Oct 25, 2005, 7:11 PM
Post #56 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What is the lesser evil: Repeating a previously mentioned topic, or resurrecting old threads?

I was wondering the same thing. If you bring up an old topic someone posts, "Why don't you do a search, you big jerk?!?" If you resurrect an old thread it's, "Where the hell did you find that thing? And why didn't you leave it alone? It's X years old! STFU, n00b!"

You're damned either way.

zao479

Oct 25, 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #57 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2000+ hits and 50+ posts in less than 24 hours. Doesn't sound like a waisted thread to me. Not to mention that the similar topics aren't really to similar.

dyno2it

Oct 25, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #58 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Stover not too long ago, sitting only 10 feet away from a nursing mother (note- kids usually face up when nursing...) No helmet on the kid or mom. She was apparently an experienced climber (ie should have known better.) A very sharp rock about the size of a deck of cards was kicked off by a climber (who didn't shout "ROCK!") that cut my hand wide open to the bone. I love kids and am a mom. I have raised my kids on climbing but it never would have occurred to me that having a toddler under an actively crumbling cliff would be ok, especially without protection.

redpoint73

Oct 25, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #59 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't even THINK of bringing your kids unless you are gonna leash them.

Seriously though, I was just out this past weekend and someone's unleashed dog pissed on my partners rope. The owner ( a real nice guy) was real bummed, and total apologetic. And the dog was great besides that, didn't bark too much, or chew my pack or gear. But since urine is one of the few substances people freak about that actually DOES affect rope strength, it was an unfortunate event. Not too much piss got on the rope, and I'm sure it didn't reach the core. So a wash should do the trick. Still, I would understand if someone disliked unleashed dogs at the crag.

And I didn't put the rope in my mouth the rest of the day.

leinosaur

Oct 25, 2005, 7:57 PM
Post #60 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This weekend I was at the rendezvous at Horse Shoe Canyon Ranch.

What did you expect, idyllic solitude?

In reply to:
The weather was perfect, the rocks were perfect, and everyone had a good time.

Then what are you bitching about, again?

In reply to:
The only thing that got to me were the kids and the dogs.

It's a rendezvous. That means, "y'all come!" Next time get to know the folks with annoying dogs/kids & say a gentle word. Give 'em chocolate, like the wise sage in the other post where you were bitching about drunk people. Make friends, have a positive influence.

Then again, it's easier to bitch in the forums.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=32326

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=22248

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=32357

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=25103

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=35206

markc

Oct 25, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #61 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many times do I have to tell you to leave the damn pet lizard at home? That thing always climbs circles around me and disrupts my fragile serenity!

sidepull

Oct 25, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #62 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If your gonna bring your dog/kid to the crag...

. . . then it's your responsibility to clean up their crap (metaphorical or otherwise). And if you don't, don't get mad when someone rubs YOUR nose in it. :shock:

litleclimberchick

Oct 25, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #63 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If your gonna bring your dog/kid to the crag...

...keep them leashes!

yes, both kids and pets. :)

zao479

Oct 26, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #64 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder who crapped in leinosaur's coffee. This isn't as catastrophic for me as you might have first perceived. Not every discussion is a soap box. I was just looking for some stories and a topic to get people talking.

Deep breath...In with the positive out with the negative.

Besides I take my goats every were I go.

southtxtraveler

Oct 26, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #65 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bring my kid, because I trained him on how to behave, now he loves the sport and is certainly more welcome and respected than I am, go figure!

Partner ctardi

Oct 26, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #66 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Rants about dogs are understandable.. they can piss on your gear or steal your lunch.. rants about kids.. lighten up. They have just as much right to be where they are as you do..
Or when the kids are screaming and tired and should be at home sleeping after a long day, but i'm still trying to climb.

What makes you more important then that kid, NEWB?

adrenaline_smack

Oct 26, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #67 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i personally love dogs, i always love to see and play around with dogs if even for a few minutes. i would not mind in the least if you brought a well trained dog to the crag. they make everyone happy, unless your the kind who hates cute things like puppies and babies...

you dont hate babies do you?

dont bring monkeys to the damn crag though! watch the dosage III trailer on big up to see what im talking about

piton

Oct 27, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #68 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
v5 boulder problem roof and accessing the next horizontal, i realized it wouldn't hold gear. in fact, the entire headwall above the roof was devoid of pro and required some dicey footwork to climb. obviously i made it to the anchors. when i reached the top the guy started hooting that he had never seen anyone do the route before. i late found out it was a Russ Raffa 5.12x route called "hell is real". the best part of the story..

BS it takes gear PG

stick to the bouldering forum

jred

Oct 27, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #69 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm sick of hearing every one argue about their rights. It is never your right to impose on other people. If you disagree then you might want to look around because I would bet that your friends are tiered of picking you up all the time.
If your headed to your local crag on a Tuesday, that is one thing. But when you know that there are going to be 300+ at the ranch that weekend you have to alter you thinking. When its crazy busy you need to leave the dog, the kid, the pot, and the expletives at home. If this is in no way possible then you need to stay home. It's not your right to be selfish and to enjoy your day at the expense of others.
It's not about what will happen, it's about what could happen. I just don't think that the reward is worth the risk.

http://Nice response to a reasonable statement. You are a prick, you do not care if you are a prick, good for you.

killclimbz

Oct 27, 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #70 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I'm sick of hearing every one argue about their rights. It is never your right to impose on other people. If you disagree then you might want to look around because I would bet that your friends are tiered of picking you up all the time.
If your headed to your local crag on a Tuesday, that is one thing. But when you know that there are going to be 300+ at the ranch that weekend you have to alter you thinking. When its crazy busy you need to leave the dog, the kid, the pot, and the expletives at home. If this is in no way possible then you need to stay home. It's not your right to be selfish and to enjoy your day at the expense of others.
It's not about what will happen, it's about what could happen. I just don't think that the reward is worth the risk.

http://Nice response to a reasonable statement. You are a prick, you do not care if you are a prick, good for you.

Ok corky... :roll:

deserteaglle

Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #71 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This last week I was in Enchanted Rock and had a great time for the most part. The only problems I had was how cold it got at night and my dumbass not having a cold-weather sleeping bag, and a huge group of 10-12 year old kids with only four or five adult supervisors.
I may sound like a dick here, but I thought that those "city kids" had no business being there. They were yelling, screaming, crying all late into the night and in the early mnorning. Am I evil for wishing several of them would have choked or something? :? J/K...kind of.
At the same time there was a man and woman with two kids. They were respectful, quiet, and the kids were learning about the wilds from their parents who were constantly supervising. This is the way that I learned about respect for the outdoors and I see no problems with it. However that other group should have gone to Six Flags or Disneyland or something that is made for large groups of kids and adults who know jack about the outdoors. They had no business being there, though they may have had the right.

It would probably be very good for everyone if everyone's parents took them to do things like that, but the world ain't perfect. People still want to do it though.

There were two people coming down this slope next to my campsite being very loud, and having a lot of problems getting down. I wouldn't usually bother someone that is trying to do something if they don't ask for my help, but I figured they were disrupting my peace and quiet so I would help them out to get em' out of my hair. They were stuck on this slope, and the overweight woman was trying to go down kind of on her butt and slipping alot. I ran up to where they were in my flip flops and noticed that they were wearing expensive new hiking boots, and had actually bought walking sticks. I was nice, did not laugh at them and explained how to stand so you don't slip instead of leaning towards the rock and losing friction, then I showed them a way to get down, and went on my merry way. It was still several minutes before they got down. I am just lucky my mom was a very outdoors type of person and that I have enough navigational sense to not get lost on a trail old ladies hike.

carpediem

May 24, 2006, 5:42 PM
Post #72 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA...

I have an idea lets make a reality show about kids at crags and the dogs the ruin the earth.

Get over it, you were all kids at one point and who know some of you may think you were a dog.

People( I ) will continue to bring my dog to the crags and she will continue to piss and eat your food(AKA Lay at the bottom and chew a stick) for years to come.

Life goes on and people will drive off with just as much road rage as they came in with... Lets talk about climbing, although thsi is rather amusing to read.

BLAH BLAH BLAH GET BACK TO WORK>

cloudbreak

May 24, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #73 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RETARD RETARD RETARD

As if this topic hasn't been beaten to death, you had to shit it out from it's 7 month hibernation.

cloudbreak

May 24, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #74 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA...

I have an idea lets make a reality show about kids at crags and the dogs the ruin the earth.

Get over it, you were all kids at one point and who know some of you may think you were a dog.

People( I ) will continue to bring my dog to the crags and she will continue to piss and eat your food(AKA Lay at the bottom and chew a stick) for years to come.

Life goes on and people will drive off with just as much road rage as they came in with... Lets talk about climbing, although thsi is rather amusing to read.

BLAH BLAH BLAH GET BACK TO WORK>

RETARD RETARD RETARD

As if this topic hasn't been beaten to death, you had to shit it out from it's 7 month hibernation.

krusher4

May 24, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #75 of 80 (6548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whinny kids (they all are) have not right to ruin my day with their complains to their parents. If mom and dad both climb, one is going to have to stay at home to watch the kids sorry, you freaking choose that life don't ruin what I have chosen for mine.
Dogs, if they are nice an keep quite I have no problem with them. Many crag dogs are great! All kids are whiny little bi*ch's

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook