Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Weather resistant digital camera other than Olympus??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

olympicmtnboy

Oct 30, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Weather resistant digital camera other than Olympus??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hate to add to the "which camera should I buy?" neverending subtopic, but after surfing the web for hours I can't accept what I'm finding. Being in the great Pacific Northwest and going outside a lot, I will at some point get anything I take climbing or backpacking with me wet, including my camera. I have an Olympus Stylus 80 film camera but I'd like to get a digital.

I need something thats under $300, around 4 MP, is small and light, ~3x optical zoom, has good battery options (so I can travel abroad or go a month in the mountains without spending several hundred on batts), and oh, it has to have a real viewfinder. All of those features would point me to Olympus again, which I wouldn't mind, but they've made the dumb decision to remove the optical viewfinders from all their small digitals, meaning I'll burn through batteries faster and have a hell of a time in bright light on the snow. I could look for one of their older discontinued models, but there has to be something else out there that's got some water resistance and those features! Please help!

rgbscan

Oct 30, 2005, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weather resistant digital camera other than Olympus?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if Olympus is still making their "Verve" digital camera, but that one was pretty weather resistant. It's all metal, has rubber seals, and has some dampness resistance (though it is *not* submersible). Sounds like it might be what you're after.

Chris

olympicmtnboy

Oct 30, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks rgbscan, but the Verve and Verve S both lack an optical viewfinder, meaning you have to use the little screen all the time, draining batteries faster and making things difficult in bright light (like sun and snow). I'm not sure why Olympus cut the optical viewfinders out of their products, but that's why I'm looking for other suggestions. :-)

walllizzard

Oct 30, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pentax makes a waterproof Dig cam. Here's a link to their website, http://www.h20camera.com/consumer/overview.jsp. It is a great little camera, just a point and shoot, but good enough for the rigors of outdoor life. I have this camera and have been pleased with it so far. It is no G5 but for how much it cost and the different environments it can operate make it worth while. If you have any other questions just Pm and I'll try and help.

brodent

Oct 31, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a Sony T1 or CoolPix 3100 / 2100 there are polycarbonate housings available.
http://www.watershotonline.com/products/T1_housing.html
http://www.watershotonline.com/products/coolpix_2100_3100.html

I biner a housed T1 to a gear loop. Flops around a bit and the housing gets bashed a little here and there, but it is holding up pretty good so far. Waterproof too.

Cameras are a little older now but still good and likely low cost if you can find them used.

brodent

pico23

Nov 1, 2005, 5:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pentax comes to mind but I don't remember if the W series has optical viewfinders. The newest models is completely waterproof to a few feet.

I find it easier to use an optical except for macro. On snow and in the sun screens suck.

All the manufacturers make waterproof housing if you want to go that route. They are kinda pricey and add some bulk. It's an option to consider.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook