RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

mattiem

Aug 5, 2002, 8:49 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Winter climbing trip in the US
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in Boston MA and will have almost 2 months off for my winter break from school. I would love to try to get somewhere for some winter climbing (December and January). I figure if i plan early i can get a good deal on tickets rental cars and such. SOOOO what are some of the best places to clmib in the US in the winter? some guidelines to help in your reccomendations:

I only like sport climbing so i need a sport climbing area.

It would be cool if it were as close to boston as possible cause i wouldnt mind a 1000+ mile roadtrip if airfare is expensive. though im not sure there is anything that close that is warm in the winter

It needs to have camping nearby because i am too poor to afford a hotel.

It would also be good if it has good winter weather

And low fees for parking and camping would be a plus

So whats the deal? Where can i go? Any help out there?

thanks,
matt

spank_spank

Aug 5, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Winter climbing trip in the US [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Save up some cash and head to Potrero Chico in Mexico for 2 months. 2000 ft sportclimbs. Cheap living and cheap beer.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!

natec

Aug 5, 2002, 8:57 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red Rocks is the place for you man. Camping is 1 mile from down the road from the canyon, you have all the amenities of the city at your hands, and there's a huge play ground to go to at night.

totigers

Dec 14, 2002, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JT in Southern California.
Motel 8 right outside the west entrance.
Climbing year round but the best in the winter.
Have fun

madturtle

Dec 15, 2002, 1:45 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to drive rather than fly somewhere there is a ton of climbing in the south east. Check out the last few issues of Rock and Ice. The latest one (#121) has some pretty stellar looking routes in the northeast corner of arkansas. It looks like mostly sport and some trad mixed in. You could also check out red river gorge in kentucky which is mostly juggy overhung sport climbing on sandstone, great stuff from what I hear. I think the T-wall in tenessee looks pretty good too. That was in another recent issue of R&I that you'll have to look up. Bouldering in Boone, NC would be good but I think the access may be a littel touchy. I'd head down south and hit those areas rather than deal w/ rental cars and plane tickets. Probably not more than 12 or 13 hour drive I'd bet.

Did I mention I'm jealous as hell? Enjoy

hendicrimpin

Dec 15, 2002, 2:45 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you end up in the southeast know this: boone, NC is getting iced and snowed on right now. Red River Gorge is also pretty friggin cold (though it is the sweetest sport, pumpy, overhanging, jug haul sport climbs!). T-wall could be climbable, but that's almost completely trad - and you said you only sport. Foster Falls near chattanooga and Obed near nashville are usually ok all year round, but there have been a lot of ice storms lately so i don't know. If you want to boulder head to rock town in northern georgia...but BY FAR the best bouldering in the southeast is Horse Pens in Alabama. Good luck man, and i hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook