RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

hand2foot

Nov 3, 2005, 7:39 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Bright Neon Slings on Meister's Edge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a pretty area specific issue, but since many people are road tripping to Red Rocks and other places, it needs to be addressed. I was dismayed to see neon yellow monstrosities threaded through the RAP hangers of Meister's Edge (A route which was featured in one of the top photos... look it up). They were cut down by the end of the day. Meister's Edge, which was previously a solo, then bolted, but had no anchors recieved anchors sometime ago (i.e. people are lucky there are even anchors or bolts on this ropute). What baffles me is that some rock climbers have no sensitivity to outdoor asthetics. Neon Yellow slings? Come on! So many non-climbers hike past this feature on a daily basis... it just makes our user group look bad. I think gyms should offer a course on outdoor etiquette... how to poo in the wild, pack your trash out, not leave bright ass slings on routes.... It ruins access for others who do care.

talons05

Nov 3, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bright Neon Slings on Meister's Edge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:idea: It would also be cool if people who climb in gyms would just stay there... Or they could also kill themselves... :twisted:

vegastradguy

Nov 3, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bright Neon Slings on Meister's Edge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This seems to be a common problem at Red Rock- multiple routes throughout all of the canyons and the Calico Hills that are equipped with bolted rap anchors have had neon (or sometimes a less vivid color) slings attached to them for rappel.

I've cut more than a dozen myself and have heard of it from others- I suspect we have a local who, for whatever reason, thinks rappelling off of slings instead of the bolts is safer.

At any rate, I'm also not entirely sure this is the result of someone learning in a gym. Gym rats are trained to trust bolts and use them solely. A gym rat would just rap off the bolts- not take the time to sling them with webbing.

However, offering a LNT class at the gym is an excellent notion- perhaps I'll talk to the owner of NVCC about it...

finally...
In reply to:
It would also be cool if people who climb in gyms would just stay there... Or they could also kill themselves...

i'm giving this a 'boo!' rating- not only is it incredibly rude and disrespectful to those who do climb in the gym, its also a broad generalization that has no place in this forum.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook