RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

mistajman

Oct 27, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Fundrasing ideas, neep help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has any good fundrasing ideas for a climbing club. We have a lot of experienced people as well as a lot of noobs. We are trying to generate funds for trips, gear, and other expenses. If anyone knows of any climbing/or non climbing related fundrasiers that work well, please let me know, thanks.

climbingaggie03

Oct 27, 2005, 7:50 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fundrasing ideas, neep help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you could host a climbing comp, sell plasma, have a car wash, sell candy, do a climb a thon (like a walk a thon, only get so much money for every foot climbed), dress like bums and beg at corners, Charge people to join the club, charge people to go on trips, find someone who has alot of money and convince them that your club is worth their money, rob a bank, rob a convience store, rob random people on the street, make your own conterfit money, sell your services on Ebay (i saw that for real once) that should get you started

sorry could't resist, I don't have any real suggestions, but some of those are semi-legitimate ways to make money, and some will probably land you in Jail or worse.

clmbr395

Oct 27, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually selling candy is a good idea. I did it for a climbing team once (and between school and clubs ive done it for about a billion other things). www.ozarkdelight.com makes good lolipops. you can sell those lollipops for like 50cents each and you'll be rich. ok maybe not rich , but you'll have enough money to buy AT LEAST a biner and a cliff bar...AT LEAST. Imagine if you sold them for 75cents each.... :shock:

veganboyjosh

Oct 27, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a close relative of mine works for a large (you've heard of them)non profit, and he's always running fund raising schemes by me. one of my favorites was the mile of pennies.

basically, it is what it sounds like. your goal is to get enough pennies to cover a mile. i dunno how many that would be, but however many pennies/dimes/quarters it would take to line up end to end to make a mile, there you go.

you could easily fit this with climbing by doing a line of coins the height of a local classic route. ie. the route is 500 feet high, then raise 500 feet worth of coinage. it sort of connects the coins with the aim of the club.

monkeyarm

Oct 27, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a racketball court and take some projecters like the teachers use in class and run a madden tournament w/10ft high madden players

works well with a large campus base

monkeyarm

Oct 27, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a side note red bull will sponsor any climbing comp if you try to run it, so i would contact them for ideas and such.

also if you run a comp handwritten letters to climbing companies for requests for prizes or any other support go over much better than mass emails

mistajman

Oct 27, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a bunch for the ideas, and keep em coming! Happy climbing!

dilettante

Oct 28, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about a raffle or an auction? you could ask people to donate something related to their work, their talent, whatever. then you could ask the local gear shop to kick in something and then raffle or auction it all off.

wonderwoman

Oct 28, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how about a raffle or an auction? you could ask people to donate something related to their work, their talent, whatever. then you could ask the local gear shop to kick in something and then raffle or auction it all off.

Good idea on the raffle! You could raffle off a 'climbing day' to non-climbers who might want the opportunity to go out.

You could host a climbing 'movie night' and ask people to donate what they can to get in.

If you ask for businesses to donate to your club, you shall receive. Just don't forget the thank you notes and to acknowkledge them for sponsoring you.

mixedclimber

Nov 3, 2005, 8:08 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was the treasurer and vice-president of the rock climbing at the University of Central Florida, and there is NOTHING harder than convincing Floridians that you need money for a rock climbing club, when there is nothing around you. Anyways, we did a 5K run at Universal Studios, but you can do one anywhere. We created donation sheets, listed our advisor and student government, so people could contact them to see we were a legitimate club. There were 8 of us out of 30 that did it, and each climber's goal was to raise their entrance fee into the race AND an additional $50.00. People had the choice to pay per k, per mile, or in full. We didn't ask for the money till AFTER the race, but if people are willing to give you the money up front, take it. We profited over $600 dollars (that is after paying the entrance fee) and gave the member who raised the most a free chalk bag with belt. It is minimal work and your fundraiser is over within half an hour. The hardest part is collecting the money, but I would do this fundraiser EVERYTIME!
Stef

greengoblin

Nov 3, 2005, 9:13 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest you all get a job and pay for your own climbing trips. Save people's money for donations to those in need. You don't need to go climbing.

mixedclimber

Nov 3, 2005, 9:30 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For your information, that money also went to introducing foster kids to climbing, and providing them with new experiences. My co-workers donated to our fundraiser, as well as to Hurricane Katrina victims, and United Way. People can donate to whatever they want, who are you to say I can't ask for it? And no REAL climber would say they wouldn't want donations to climb. You have no idea how expensive it is to go climbing for Floridians, it takes 9 hours for the closest place, we don't have a backyard of rocks. Let's calculate the gas shall we? We are not some self-righteous group, but rather like to give back to the community as well, but apparently you have never been part of a club that looks outside their own personal gain. OH and nevermind that the 5k run we donated to went to another charity as well. Think before you post!

lidosis

Nov 3, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't read all the post but I noticed my favorite way to raise money. Do a slide show or move pretty basic but here is the good part. Sell booze and the show. Yes people will buy beer, heck let them in the show for free and then sell them beer. Some one should hire me with that kind of idea.

greengoblin

Nov 3, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For your information, that money also went to introducing foster kids to climbing, and providing them with new experiences. My co-workers donated to our fundraiser, as well as to Hurricane Katrina victims, and United Way. People can donate to whatever they want, who are you to say I can't ask for it? And no REAL climber would say they wouldn't want donations to climb. You have no idea how expensive it is to go climbing for Floridians, it takes 9 hours for the closest place, we don't have a backyard of rocks. Let's calculate the gas shall we? We are not some self-righteous group, but rather like to give back to the community as well, but apparently you have never been part of a club that looks outside their own personal gain. OH and nevermind that the 5k run we donated to went to another charity as well. Think before you post!

I think that is great that you donated money to a charity. Maybe I should have been more clear. I was referring to the original post. There does not seem to be any reference to a charity. Also, don't most people who do something for a charity donate all of the money after their overhead is covered. I am a real climber. I would not take donations to climb. You chose to climb rocks. Rock climbing is expensive no matter where you live. Maybe you should take up a water sport. The access would be much easier and less expensive. I sit on the board of Keystone of St. Louis. We donate all of our profits to our benefactors. Think before you rant.

bigevilgrape

Nov 3, 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I suggest you all get a job and pay for your own climbing trips. Save people's money for donations to those in need. You don't need to go climbing.

so where you robbed the expeince of being in a college club and trying to raise some money to take a trip, get new equipment, ect? thats a shame.

the best fund raiser we did was car cleaning. we went beyond a car wash and vaccumed out the carrs hit them with some armoral. we hit up the professors at our college and draised a good bit of money and had to wash way less cars because we could charge more per car.

mixedclimber

Nov 7, 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't see the need to mention a charity, because the original post was not "hey, how do I raise money for charity?" It was "how can we do a fundraiser for a club"." Didn't think I'd have to support our club's good nature.
So I should take up a watersport simply because I live near water? I get to be robbed of the pleasure of climbing simply because I can't afford it? You are still missing the point! People know what the donations were for. They accepted and offered donations. I did not STEAL donations for other organizations, but rather received some help from people looking to expand college students ideas of the world. I support my entire arguement with: "People have the right to donate to whatever or whomever they choose." If you don't support the idea of climbers fundraising, don't be a part of this posting, its not your concern!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook