First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Nov 6, 2005, 4:13 AM
Post #1 of 280 (90875 views)
Shortcut

Shelley Windsor...
Report this Post
Can't Post

...rock_diva here at RC.com, was killed in a climbing accident today at Paradise Forks. I don't have any further information--so, if anyone does, please post it here.

Curt

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #2 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shelley Windsor... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just called Kole, the unofficial PIO of Flagstaff climbing, figured he'd know something. No answer. Don't know anything more.

I remember Shelley's first trad lead, at Indian Creek no less. And that she won the PBC women's local, and that she'd have won it again if she had entered again. And that she had a sweet gear shop that I told all my friends to go to. She was a high school math teacher and a really fun gal, an absolutely fearless adventurer. This is absolutely terrible. I'm in shock.

I know she has a lot of friends here. Manny, Jon, Chris, Dale, Rick, Erica, please, if you know something, post it. I want to read that it isn't true, but if it is, please post information.

The first armchair speculation or flame, so help me god...

ldsclimber

Nov 6, 2005, 5:00 AM
Post #3 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shelly was a good friend to everyone and I loved to climb with her I watched her get the red point of incredible hand crack in ic. She was an inspiring friend and will be missed dearly This caomes as shuch a shock, and hope that everyone that knew her will be comforted. She had a deep love for the Lord her family and her friends. She served a mission to russia and know that many hearts there will be saddened to know that she has left us. I will never be able to climb a the forks again with out having fond memories of my dear friend. I'm sorry that we have lost such a gem.

goodguy

Nov 6, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #4 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So this is my first post here and it saddens me to have it be in this forum.

I just got off the phone with my best friend and long time climbing partner and he informed me that he and 2 to 3 others were at Paradise Forks today and helped with Shelley for 3 hours.

I can only say that everyone involved in trying to save Shelley's life did any and everything they could. It sounds like something went wrong when Shelley went to rappel from the top of the Gold Wall?( the wall that is right of the Prow)

EMT's arrived sometime after the fall and sent down oxygen, once the oxygen ran out Shelley died shortly after. A helicopter then arrived and got Shelley and the rest of the party that was helping in her rescue out.

I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to all of Shelley's family and friends.

Josh

ldsclimber

Nov 6, 2005, 6:06 AM
Post #5 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a quote that's helping me."The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life."Russell M. Nelson.
Also not many of us really know her family but I do know that they loved Shelly and supported her in her adventurous life style. I want to get as many pics of her climbing as possible and get them made into a collage to give to her parents. So if you have any please let me know. The price is $180 to have this made, if any one is willing to pitch in to show your love it would be greatly apreicated and i'm shure would help her family know thet we care.

sartor

Nov 6, 2005, 6:09 AM
Post #6 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shelly -

amidst the potpourri of emotions I feel at the moment, I want to share my gratitude.
Thank you for friendly involvement in the climbing community.

Thank you for sharing your history regarding your mission work in Russia (we spoke Russian together!).

Most of all - thank you for sharing your kind and warm spirit.

You will be missed.

jason

epic_ed

Nov 6, 2005, 6:36 AM
Post #7 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This breaks my heart, and I'm in absolute denial that this could be true. There are many of us who climbed with her and knew her well and this will stick with me for a mighty long time.

We'll miss you, Shelly.

Ed

curt

Nov 6, 2005, 6:44 AM
Post #8 of 280 (91298 views)
Shortcut

Learning from Shelley's accident [In reply to]
Report this Post

Shelley was a friend of mine too, and I will miss her dearly. Does anyone have additional information as to what actually happened?

Curt

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2005, 7:35 AM
Post #9 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dove deep into my archives for a few shots of Shelley from a trip in 2002. They're not great, but they're all I've got.

If anybody wants to submit some non-climbing shots of Shelley and wants to get around the under-48k size requirement, I'll make exceptions. Maybe just put a note in the descrip in case I'm not the ed who's approving at that moment- I'm sure whoever is will understand.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=64033

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=64034

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=64035

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=64036

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=64037

climbsomething

Nov 6, 2005, 7:43 AM
Post #10 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And I apologize if this is premature, but sometimes being bossy is how I cope with... lots of things, actually ;)

But we should have a memorial climbing outing. Not too many of us were as strong as Shelley, but we met her through climbing and should celebrate her that way too. If anybody has any suggestions on Shelley's favorite areas, we should get together.

It need not be any big priority right now... just putting it out there.

otc

Nov 6, 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #11 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello Everyone,

I was Shelley's business partner at Over The Crux, and I am forever her dear friend and hold her memory close to my heart. I spent the evening with her family last night not long after finding out that she had passed. As Aaron mentioned above, they were very supportive and by all means proud of her lifestyle as a climber and lover of everything outdoors. To quote her father, "She died doing what she loved." They are a very compassionate and close knit family. I will be staying in close contact with her family and her memorial is tentatively set for Saturday, November 12, 2005 in Mesa but I will post the exact date, time and location when it is determined with their approval. I have posted a slide show on our company website at http://www.overthecrux.com of some of the photos I have of Shelley and welcome more photos of Shelley to be added to that slide show by emailing them to shelleypics@overthecrux.com. It is impossible to describe the feelings that are running through me right now. However, it is not impossible to describe the feelings I have when I think about the times we shared. Love. I know that each of her friends shared a special bond with her and I know that she shared her soul with each of us. I agree with Hillary that we should have a gathering to celebrate Shelley's life. Let us not forget that she was a high school and college teacher and our hearts need to go out to those students whose life she touched and who will find out on Monday of her passing. She made a difference to so many lives that we can't even fathom. May God be with you.

Sincerely,
Daniel Arlitt

reno

Nov 6, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #12 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, no.... Oh, no, no, no.

Damn.

:cry:

Since Shelley is such a good friend to so many folks here on Rockclimbing.com, I've made this thread sticky, and it will reside at the top of the Injuries and Accidents forum until after the memorial service.

Partner j_ung

Nov 6, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #13 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, hell. I don't think I ever communicated directly with her, but I certainly held her in high regard amongst the usership of this site. This is a sad day, indeed.

olejeff

Nov 6, 2005, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what to say...or even how to say it. Everyone here, who ever met or climbed with Shelley, knows what positive energy she shared. Let's all remember her in that light and channel those thoughts and feelings in a compasionate way to all..especially those closest to her. She will forever be remembered.

crayzlegz

Nov 6, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #15 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,
I'm Hong and Shelley was a dear friend. I'm using my gf's acct to reply to this because at this moment I can collect enough brain cells to remember my login.
Shelley was climbing with Mark B. when she passed away. Mark B has requested that we get together along with friends of Shelley's at my house at 7pm so he can say his piece. I'm located right behind Phoenix Rock Gym / Four Peaks Brewery. My addr is 1409 E Don Carlos Ave, Tempe AZ 85281. The house is on a cul de sac with 2 big trees in the front and a For Sale sign. My cell is 480 363 0636

I miss you Shelley - Hong

emartinblue

Nov 6, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #16 of 280 (91298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hello,

I'm not a member of rock climbing.com so I'm using my fiancé’s user name to write this post. Many of you have asked for further information, so I feel compelled to write. I'm still feeling a tremendous amount of shock and I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate thing to do, but maybe my experience will help some of you deal with your pain (this may also help me deal with my own emotions and grieve). I didn't know Shelley personally, but I (and a couple others) did spend the last three hours of her life at her side.

Myself, and my climbing partners, rappelled into the canyon when we heard that someone was hurt. We found Shelley in pretty bad shape but still breathing. I don't feel that it is appropriate to go into any more detail then this. She fought hard for a very long time, but the remoteness of the area coupled with her injuries was too much for her, and us, to deal with.

It should be mentioned that Mark, Leo, Dana, and Liz fought very hard to keep Shelley with us. Their courage and strength are like nothing that I have ever witnessed before. They are true heroes and their courage should be recognized.

I have tried to piece together what I think happened and I would like to share this because it may keep someone from making a similar mistake. I should also note that I did not witness the accident and I’m no detective, so the information that I provide is merely my opinion.

1. The accident occurred on a rappel station that Shelley built herself
2. There was no obvious gear failure
3. The anchor consisted of two separate ~10ft pieces of one inch tubular webbing each tied with a separate water knot.
4. The webbing was wrapped in some way around a very sturdy pine
5. There was one single ~60m rappel rope with a figure 8 on a bite
6. The rope was “attached” to the anchor with a single locking carabiner
7. At the accident site the rope was in good shape with the knot and biner (still locked) attached
8. The anchor webbing was ~8ft from the accident site and was in sound condition with knots still tied
9. Shelley had a helmet on

As near as I can tell the webbing was wrapped around the tree in such a way that made it unclear that it was truly secure. I think this might be because the pieces of webbing used were very long, the same color, and of the one inch variety. I think the bulkiness of the set-up may have made it hard to tell if the webbing was securely attached to the tree. The biner that was attached to the rope was clipped around the pieces of webbing that were wrapped around the tree. Shelley may or may not have pulled on the anchor to test for soundness. I feel that the friction created by the bulky anchor may have given the illusion that the anchor was secure. When Shelley weighted the rappel anchor (most likely at the very edge of the cliff) the biner pulled through the webbing. The webbing, rope, and locked carabiner still attached to the knot were found at the accident site.

Please remember that this is only my opinion. I hope that by providing this information we will all remember that we need to check, double check, triple check, and test our work. I am also going to get Wilderness first aid certification as soon as possible. I now feel that this should be a mandatory requirement of any responsible climber/partner.

Lastly, I would like to mention that Paradise Forks is a truly wilderness climbing area, one with little chance of rescue if an accident does take place. When we climb in places like the Forks we must be keenly aware of the risks that we are taking (which I’m sure Shelley was). Unfortunately, some climbers (NOT including Shelley) are not fully aware of all of the dangers that are involved whenever we go outside and do what we love do to do.

Dave

emartinblue

Nov 6, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #17 of 280 (91298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Also,
I would like to know the extent of her injuries as soon as possible.

thanks,
Dave

crackaddict

Nov 6, 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #18 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still am in shock that this happened.

I was one of her first climbing partners. We spent a lot of time together.
She was a dear friend that will sadly be missed.

I am finding it hard to put my thoughts into words right now.
She was a good person who loved life and people.
I just know that we are all better people for having known her.

I love you Shelley,

We will miss you.

Chris.

rock_diva

Nov 6, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #19 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a rock climber, but I am Shelley's brother, so I hope you'll forgive my intrusion on your forum. I apologize for posting with her login, but I don't think you will mind.

To all who knew and loved Shelley, and all that knew her couldn't help but love her, I thank you. It is very obvious that many of you shared the same love for Shelley that all in her family have. In so many ways you all are Shelley's family just as much as we are. I am so very happy that Shelley was loved by so many.

Your comments have been something of a healing balm to all of her family here that have read them. Shelley was one of the strongest amongst us, and as I sit here struggling to understand why she can't be here, I pray to God that I can have her strength throughout the rest of my life. I am a much better person for having felt the touch or her hand and the love of her soul.

Shelley, there will not a day go by that someone doesn't remember you. We love you and anxiously await the day that we will have our joyous reunion. You are free and are no longer tied to the constraints of this earth. I know you will enjoy soaring with the eagles!

We love you!

Bill

jmlangford

Nov 6, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #20 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Chris(crackaddict) for the e-mail regarding Shelley. This is my first post here in some time. I climbed with Shelley and Chris in Yosemite and she is a great friend. My heartfelt prayers are with all those that were close to her. I will try to get some decent scans of the photos I took of that trip and post them.

ldsclimber

Nov 6, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #21 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I've had time to let this all sink in and after reading what Bill shared. I just want her family to know that there are way more climbers out there who have yet to put there thoughts down and I hope they will as they are all finding out. She was such a good example of enduring to the end. Like Bill said I hope that can have the strength that she had to the end. In some ways I'm a little envious of her. I'm shure she struggled with all the temptations in life but she was alway true to the values she knew to be right. I will forever be thankful for having had the privilege of calling her my friend. Aaron

pjay

Nov 7, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #22 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all,
I haven't known Shelley for long but when ever I did get to climb with her in the gym, she has always greeted me and has always also been very kind to me. I don't have anything else to say but God Bless.

Pjay

Partner macherry

Nov 7, 2005, 12:19 AM
Post #23 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very sad news. my condolences to friends and family.

Partner oldsalt

Nov 7, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #24 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am not a rock climber, but I am Shelley's brother, so I hope you'll forgive my intrusion on your forum. I apologize for posting with her login, but I don't think you will mind.

To all who knew and loved Shelley, and all that knew her couldn't help but love her, I thank you. It is very obvious that many of you shared the same love for Shelley that all in her family have. In so many ways you all are Shelley's family just as much as we are. I am so very happy that Shelley was loved by so many.

We love you!

Bill
Thanks for posting, Bill. You really hit on a key point when you said that we are part of her family. I never met her, but I am diminished whenever anyone who shares our passion goes off-belay.

My prayers and best wishes for her, you, and your entire family.

flagstaff_climber

Nov 7, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #25 of 280 (90873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am as sad right now as I have been in recent memory. When I opened the email from Chris informing me of Shelly’s death I literally sat there for a few minutes and stared at the screen. I could not believe it was Shelly, the first person I have ever actually known to die climbing….Not Shelly, that made no sense at all.

I spent the last hour or so looking at all of the pictures I have of you Chris and I climbing at the Forks…trying to compose this email…. it was such a beautiful day and my first time climbing there. I was so scared, I mean I was a gym climber who had lead a few 5.6s at the overlook and here I was at the Forks, but you made me feel OK…It was a beautiful day. Then I remember what a beautiful day it was here in Flag yesterday….. Probably a lot like it was that first day.

I am so proud to have climbed with you Shelly and even prouder to having been able to count you as a friend. I will do my best to think of you at the start of every climb I do….

It was a beautiful day yesterday….

Rick

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook