Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Front Range climbing partners - ongoing thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 288 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cindylou

Nov 3, 2005, 2:07 AM
Post #4276 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range climbing partners - ongoing thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been thinking alot about Country Club crack. Does anyone want to go with me to Boulder Canyon this weekend?

Andy, you know if I was good enough I'd go with you. Can I have a raincheck for say, 3-4 years until I improve?

mingleefu

Nov 3, 2005, 4:35 AM
Post #4277 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was looking at the pictures on photobucket and saw 2 people I don't remember being there (damn drunkeness anyway). Kelli and Andy! It was good to see you two again.

well, according to you at the time, "it was Good to see you. No, I mean really. It's really really good to see you. I'm glad you could make it. It's really good to see you. And I really mean it."

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've been thinking alot about Country Club crack. Does anyone want to go with me to Boulder Canyon this weekend?
Andy, you know if I was good enough I'd go with you. Can I have a raincheck for say, 3-4 years until I improve?

Shoot, it was on that day we were all climbing together that I first looked at the crack system. I won't lie, it's been on my brain ever since. I'd would be happy--no, Honored-- if you came along. There's no need to wait, I'm sure you're honed enough to belay 5.11. C'mon, I'll show you how to use ascenders on the first pitch.

I'll go for broke, of course, but this isn't exactly going to be a cake walk for me either. I may not even get it that day. But I'd like to try. 'sides, sounds like you're leading trad now anyway- you can have your turn taking big whips on small gear too, don't worry.

mother_sheep

Nov 3, 2005, 4:01 PM
Post #4278 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RANT: Gym climbing is a necessary evil for me to keep up my strength. Last night I strayed from my regular gym (Paradise) and went to R&J North, which I have been doing about once per week. What a joke. 5-6 holds spun on me. I was leading this 10 after about 2.5 hours of solid climbing, so I was pretty pumped. I stepped on the hold, it spun, I fell and I ended up pulling something in my lower back. As much as you have to pay to climb at that place, you'd think they'd be a little more concerned about maintenance. So I told the owner about the problem but that was only after 2 holds had spun on me. Are they just getting too popular to give a shit? They make so much money and have a huge customer base, so they don't care? I hope they know that they are not immune to getting a bad rep. One girl there told me that she spoke to someone about the spinnies and they said verbatum, "Well, we could give you a wrench and you can go fix it yourself." Next time I want to try something different, I think I'll hit the Boulder Cock Rub. R&J seems to have a BIG attitude about following rules in that gym but I think they need to learn a thing or 2 about customer service. Passing out candy at the door while you leave doesn't cut it. Flame me if you will but this was my experience last night and it pissed me off.

shorty

Nov 3, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #4279 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, yes, the R&J "portable holds" rant. It's my understanding that the design of the surface texture may be the route of the problem. Paradise's walls are basically a texture applied to the plywood. R&J's walls have a more 3-dimensional texture, with the outer surface tending to be flat and somewhat slick, with a recessed area that provides the texture. Thus Paradise's holds are touching a fairly rough surface (assuming the texture hasn't worn away behind the hold) and R&J's holds are touching a more slick surface. I also think Paradise torques their holds down harder.

So for the few weeks or months each year that I actually visit a gym, I get pretty miffed when I step on a hold and it spins. Which is almost a daily occurrence at R&J. As a result, I don't high-ball boulder routes at R&J, although I sometimes do at Paradise. I've also climbed in a number of gyms in California during business trips -- some gyms have spinners, others don't.

I view it as all part of the game. Last weekend in the Platte I broke an 8-inch hold, showered my partners with debris, and barely missed taking a ride on the rope. At least I haven't felt the need for helmets in a gym. (yet)

killclimbz

Nov 3, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #4280 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FLAME ON!!! How dare talk about any gym that way :twisted: .

That is a pretty lame attitude and that is the sort of shit that can sink a gym if it gets widespread on the internet. I have tightened up some holds at some gyms, but they have always been willing to do it themselves. Holds do get loose and it's impossible to go around and check them all. A place like RNJ probably has a few hundred thousand if not a million holds up on the walls.

You should check out the Kcrag gym. Way better. :wink:

Partner cindylou

Nov 3, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #4281 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
C'mon, I'll show you how to use ascenders on the first pitch.

No need for ascenders, you'll be z pulleying my ass up there, right? Seriously, I'm working on a plan here. I'll call you or you call me. Just don't call me by my stagename. Makes the locals crazy.

splat

Nov 3, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #4282 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You should check out the Kcrag gym. Way better. :wink:

Kcrag is were all the keewl 'tards go. Wed. is the usual night... bring beer & hot tube attire. :wink:

crack_addict

Nov 3, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #4283 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey y'all, This is off subject, but worth a try. I'm seeking a new place to live. I prefer Boulder, but would consider other locations. I want to keep my expenses to a minimum, so a shared situation is probably best. PM me if you have any leads. Thanks!

Partner cindylou

Nov 4, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #4284 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bring beer & hot tube attire. :wink:

Steve, what exactly is hot tube attire??????

Inquiring minds........

crazyfingers

Nov 4, 2005, 2:13 PM
Post #4285 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey y'all, This is off subject, but worth a try. I'm seeking a new place to live. I prefer Boulder, but would consider other locations. I want to keep my expenses to a minimum, so a shared situation is probably best. PM me if you have any leads. Thanks!

Check out Craig's list (www.craigslist.com, then click Denver on the right side of the page), the are many room's for rent and in most cases folks in Boulder are pretty cool, good luck.

Oh and I'm with Killclimbz on the the gym thing. There are spinners in every gym, and more in larger gyms, you just got lucky and found 2+ :? . Shift happens, good luck with Paradise.

KT

crack_addict

Nov 4, 2005, 2:56 PM
Post #4286 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks KT. I've been using Craig's list.

Partner cindylou

Nov 4, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #4287 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kyle: Missed you at the gym last night. Heard you were spitting up blood and lost an arm. Anything less is not an excuse! :P

Partner cindylou

Nov 4, 2005, 3:49 PM
Post #4288 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve, waiting with bated breath for the definition of "hot tube attire."

crazyfingers

Nov 4, 2005, 5:54 PM
Post #4289 of 7199 (226363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kyle: Missed you at the gym last night. Heard you were spitting up blood and lost an arm. Anything less is not an excuse! :P

Does spewing goobs of nasty yellow-green gunk from nose, mouth and eyes count? Hope you guys had fun... back to the couch. KT

lrossi

Nov 4, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #4290 of 7199 (226357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all - first post here.

I'm a Colorado Springs-area climber looking for partners. (actually, I live in Divide.) I climb outdoors when possible, which usually means weekends or summer evenings. At other times, I have no moral issues with going to the gym if it's dark or cold. Outdoors I'm usually at Shelf or Red Rock Canyon.

I can lead 5.8/5.9 sport, and I'm usually fairly confident following on hard 5.10, I just don't like to lead there. Bouldering is fun too. I'll follow trad climbers but I've never tried leading trad.

I'm safety-conscious and pleasant to climb with (so I'm told) and I'm looking for the same!

Drop me an email if you'd like to climb any time (like, even today).

Nov 6, 2005, 1:41 AM
Post #4291 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure, now all the Colorado Springs climbers are starting to come out of the woodwork. Where were you all like a month or two ago? I swear I thought zozo and wannabe were the only climbers on rc.com who lived in COlorado Springs! Anyway, just ranting. 50 hours and counting till my return! :D

reno

Nov 6, 2005, 4:13 AM
Post #4292 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To my Fellow Front Range Free Climbing Fanatical Friends:

I'm sending someone your way.

My mainstay AZ partner, Jeff Needham (a.k.a. olejeff) is moving from Phoenix to Colorado (that lucky bastard.)

He and his wife will be working in the Ft. Collins/Greeley area, and as far as I know they're living up that way, too.

The Old Man, as I like to call him, is a solid trad climber in the 5.7-5.8 range, does fine on lower .10 sport routes, is a hell of a nice guy to hang out with and drink beer, and has a heart as big as all of Arizona. Nothing that guy wouldn't do for a pal.

We've done some multipitch routes in Red Rocks, NV. We've done lots of single pitch trad routes here in AZ, as well as lots of sport climbing (don't look at me like that... sometimes that's the only viable option I have!) He hasn't done any ice (listen, in Phoenix, the only ice we see is the cubes we put into our rum collins during summer!) but might be willing to learn, given the right teacher.

Anyway... can't say enough good things about the guy. He's my pal, and I wish he wasn't leaving, but I know if y'all take him under your collective wing, he'll be alright.

So, December 4th, keep an eye out for the nOOb. And would someone please drag his butt to Eldo? I want him to know what he's been missing all this time.

Thanks, gang. I miss y'all.

el_capitan

Nov 7, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #4293 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am planning on hitting shelf this weekend. Will probably camp in the Sand Gulch. Leaving Friday after work and climbing Sat and Sun. The more the merrier.

crazyfingers

Nov 7, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #4294 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sung - have a blast, I'd be there if I didn't have to go to Seattle for work. :? Cindy, how was happyhour yesterday?

KT

Partner cindylou

Nov 8, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #4295 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cindy, how was happyhour yesterday?

KT

Ki-Yull, Happy Hour was great. Sorry to hear you were in an airport. Missed ya. Next time? After the green snot attack is over, of course. Don't want you snotting on my rope. Hope you feel better.

timstich

Nov 8, 2005, 3:36 AM
Post #4296 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, as some of you already know, I am moving back to Austin, Texas this Saturday morning to look for better employment, hang with the old homies, and head directly to Potrero Chico to climb in the sun the following Monday (awesome!). My lame-ass company just would not pay me enough to justify staying here the next three months. In any case, come join me this Thursday at a bar/restaurant (yet to be determined, but possibly Fagan's) and have some drinks, food, and say goodbye. But with all gatherings, it's a good time to say hello to some new people you haven't climbed with yet, met, nor even heard of. I'll post the details tomorrow night. Time will be 6PM till wheneva!

mother_sheep

Nov 8, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #4297 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, as some of you already know, I am moving back to Austin, Texas this Saturday morning to look for better employment, hang with the old homies, and head directly to Potrero Chico to climb in the sun the following Monday (awesome!). My lame-ass company just would not pay me enough to justify staying here the next three months. In any case, come join me this Thursday at a bar/restaurant (yet to be determined, but possibly Fagan's) and have some drinks, food, and say goodbye. But with all gatherings, it's a good time to say hello to some new people you haven't climbed with yet, met, nor even heard of. I'll post the details tomorrow night. Time will be 6PM till wheneva!

What can I say, I'm so bummed. I wish we could some how convince you to stay. The adventures won't be the same without you. Ever since that day on Sharkstooth, I knew we were a great team as partners and friends. I'm going to go cry now. . .again and probably at some point later in the day again after that.

If my guilt trip is working even the slightest, I'll keep it up. YOu know I will.

We have unfinished business in the San Juans and in the IPWA. Don't forget that! At least we have Portrero to look forward to in Dec.

What time Thurs night?

I'm really going to miss you Tim. You're going to be a tough one to replace.

sharpie

Nov 8, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #4298 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What can I say, I'm so bummed. I wish we could some how convince you to stay. The adventures won't be the same without you. Ever since that day on Sharkstooth, I knew we were a great team as partners and friends. I'm going to go cry now. . .again and probably at some point later in the day again after that.

If my guilt trip is working even the slightest, I'll keep it up. YOu know I will.

We have unfinished business in the San Juans and in the IPWA. Don't forget that! At least we have Portrero to look forward to in Dec.

What time Thurs night?

I'm really going to miss you Tim. You're going to be a tough one to replace.

...and don't let the door hit you...

:wink:

reno

Nov 8, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #4299 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, as some of you already know, I am moving back to Austin, Texas this Saturday morning...

Well, damn.

I wish I could be there to help send you off in style, but alas I cannot.

Someone buy Tim a beer for me.

Tim, I wish you clear skies and smooth sailing wherever your path might lead. Just know you've always got a friend in Phoenix (well, always being the next couple years, until I move back to CO, at which point you won't have a friend in Phoenix, unless, of course, you have other friends in Phoenix that I don't know about.) That should be clear as mud.

Anyway, best of luck, my friend. Keep in touch.

timstich

Nov 8, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #4300 of 7199 (226353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Say Goodbye to Tim at the Candlelight Pub, Thursday Nov. 10, 6PM

Holly suggested this location, and it looks perfect:

http://cityguide.aol.com/...e.adp?sbid=101452286

So see you all there!

I'll be selling my Colorado guide books if you need a copy of the Flatirons, Eldorado, Clear Creek, RMNP, Estes Park books.

-Tim

First page Previous page 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 288 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook