Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
yet another post about finger pain (please help me anyway)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

pleaseflushtwice

Nov 9, 2005, 1:35 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1160 views)
Shortcut

yet another post about finger pain (please help me anyway)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i tried searching the forums for people who had injuries similar to mine but i dont think they matched what i have exactly so here goes...

a few weeks back, i hurt myself on some pockets. the pain is inside the left palm about an inch before the ring finger starts. i have a full range of motion with no problems and can even make a fist with little or no pain. there was no swelling at any time or any popping/tearing sound. it just hurts a lot when i put any force pulling away from the palm (like when pulling on a pocket).

does anyone have any experience with this? how long does it take to heal and is there anything i can do help recovery?

thanks in advance
alex

diamox

Nov 9, 2005, 1:16 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Re: yet another post about finger pain (please help me anywa [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Disclaimer: you can not diagnose by history alone and if you continue to have difficulties in a few weeks after conservative therapy then you should get it checked out by a physician.

Mid palmar pain is certainly less often encountered then say finger pain. However, the ring finger is the most often injured finger. The key to recovery is patients and you need to give yourself some time off (Like a couple of weeks) In the meantime you want to continue doing easy hand exercises, like squeezing tennis ball, etc, and do full range of motion stretches of your fingers and hands - try and hold each for 30 secs. You don't want to be pulling off pockets for a about a month and a half. Let pain be your guide.

There are a number of things that this could be. Less likely to be a tendon issue. Could be a collateral ligament strain or an irritation of the MCP joint capsule.. Could also be a strain of the first pulley in you finger. It really does not matter as the treatment is conservative for all of the above.

diamox

Nov 9, 2005, 1:22 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One other practical point:
Some people find it helpful to tape their palm for the first few months after they get back to climbing. When you do start climbing again start on the 'easier' routes. You may find that pulling down hard the first few weeks will tweak something else ('hard' is a relativey term of course) .

Regards,
Diamox

pleaseflushtwice

Nov 10, 2005, 5:29 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice, i just hope its nothing serious/long term. i guess ill have to refrain from climbing until the new year.... *cry*

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook