Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

areuinclimber

Nov 12, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #26 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Re: Liz Clairborne aquires prAna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

just go to the thrift store and buy some khaki's then cut the crotch out (for freedom of movement) and go commando, thats what i do on summer days.

kyote321

Nov 12, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #27 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

people that buy $60 prana pants to get them thrashed at the crag, or more likely at the gym, are poseurs anyway. let liz clayborne take their money, somebody should be profiting off of stupid climbing poseurs. i only wish i had thought of it first. i'll keep rockin the cutoff jeans i orginally bought at the thrift store.

ihategrigris

Nov 12, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #28 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only question is whether they'll continue making gear like harnesses, or are they going to go straight to 100% clothing.

squierbypetzl

Nov 12, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #29 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?

Are you sure you´re talking about prAna? They only make clothes, chalkbags, yoga stuff and accesories. Never heard of them making gear.

climbingbetty22

Nov 12, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #30 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, its part of life in and I can't avoid it, and big business has allowed me to buy many of the things I have at reasonable prices. I have a TV, DVD, and stereo by Sony. A laptop by Dell and a million other stupid little things that I have been able to afford because big business has made an art of lowering prices while comittantly increasing profits.

Depsite this, big business makes me sad. The fact that Liz Claiborne bought prAna, doesn't surpirse me, but it does sadden me a bit. But hey, a bottom line is a bottome line, right? There are very few companies that manage to survive acting otherwise.

montaniero

Nov 12, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #31 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In case you were not aware of it, prAna is also a really big yoga clothing company.

Yoga Clothing???? What the hell is that? I thought you could practice yoga in your birthday suit..... :lol:

james_climber

Nov 12, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #32 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it will be more expensive

static_endurance

Nov 13, 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #33 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mr. Charron continued: "We are pleased that prAna co-owners Beaver and Pam Theodosakis and Demian Kloer will continue to drive the Company as it is their vision and leadership that created prAna.

At least the original owners will still have some control over the product. So long as the pants are just as comfy next year, i'll be just fine with that.

As for lululemon, there's fairly large store from them near my house. Some nice looking stuff, but damn, is it ever expensive. I've only ever walked by the window though, so it could just be the stuff in the window that's expensive.

chiho

Nov 13, 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #34 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing clothing is a bit lame-like trying to tell everyone "hey, look at me. I am a cool climber!" Does it really add anything that any other "freedom-of-movement" clothing doesn't? I have some PrAna pants, but they are nothing special. OK but not great quality, and I can just as easily climb in Carhartt's (although they could be lighter weight). They were a good deal at $30 at REI, but I would never pay full retail.

I go to the gym in a T-shirt and pair of soccer shorts. Same with Yoga clothing: why do you need specific clothing to practice Yoga in? Does it somehow bring you closer to the experience, or is it just another way to look and feel trendier? People who have to wear climbing or Yoga clothing to practice either of those activities need to worry less about what they are wearing and more about why they are there. That is, unless they are there simply to "be seen".

lajhanata

Nov 13, 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #35 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For all those yoga babes, I would bet it's nice to have clothes that keep the gazongas from bouncing every which way. (Nice to look at too.) But sport specific apparel is mostly about looking cool and always has been. More people buy clothes to look good in than buy them strictly for function. Prana buyers are especially guilty of that, although we like to pretend we aren't.

I don't wear Prana to do yoga in though. I have a far more functional pair of Mammut mountaineering pants with schoeller padding in all the bony areas that normally dig into the floor. They look dumb as hell (being an overly sporty mixture of tan and blue speckled in blobs of pine sap), but they are super functional- more so than any piece of Prana clothing I've ever worn.

Still, Prana makes comfy clothes if you can handle the crater in your bank account. Personally I don't think they are very good for technical pursuits, but I like kicking around in them. Sometimes I'll climb in them, but I usually opt for something a little more durable.

It would be great if this meant that Prana was getting cheaper, but I'm not holding my breath. If all the Bo-Bos would stop snatching Prana off the shelves, then maybe. But when every tag that you pull off a piece of Prana clothes is made from 100% recycled paper on an organic hemp tie (on an actual safety pin, which IS easier to remove), you kind of get the impression that Prana knows the white, healthy and wealthy crowd pretty well.

I don't really think anything good or bad is going to come out of this. Prana clothing is already less functional than North Face (though more comfortable in my opinion), and its target market hasn't been climbers (or yogi's) for a while now. Ironically, I have an old Liz Claiborne cashmere sweater that makes its way into my pack on nearly every outing, maybe there's hope.

Partner grovehunter

Nov 13, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #36 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just go to the thrift store and buy some khaki's then cut the crotch out (for freedom of movement) and go commando, thats what i do on summer days.
I agree with everything except letting the boys hang out. I figure the clothes I wear climbing are going to get thrashed anyway, so why not save about $50.00 on pants and buy them at the thrift store.

cmstone

Nov 13, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #37 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is interesting. I used to buy alot of Prana stuff, mainly the pants for the mobility when climbing. I used to stay away from Patagonia for the same reasons that folks here are staying away from North Face, etc. However, after reading Yvon Chounard's book on Patagonia, I have done a 180. The Patagonia shirt I am wearing now is partially made of recycled plastic bottles, isn't any "trendy" style or color that will ever go out of style, and can be washed by hand, and hung up to dry without wrinkling.

Was it pricey? Yes.
Will I have it for years and years? Yes
Is it environmentally friendly? Yes

Just my 2 cents.
Chris

kricir

Nov 13, 2005, 2:19 AM
Post #38 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn It! climbing is becoming way too popular, They should outlaw strong ropes to keep the numbers down, The whole sport is going down the drain! :evil:

roy_hinkley_jr

Nov 13, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #39 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's worth noting that Prana is a close runner-up to Patagonia for Environmentally Correct. Indeed, Beaver and his crew have bent over backwards for this level of envirnomentalism--do some research. That won't change with the new ownership.

climb_sky_high

Nov 13, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #40 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I alone in worrying that prAna will go the same way as the North Face? Yeah, the North Face still makes awesome clothing, but it seems that a lot more "urban" people (who probably don't have a reason to be wearing that type of clothing) are donning it these days. Maybe I'm just worried that our little trademark brands are being corrupted poseurs or something. I'm probably just being over sensitive, but I still don't like the idea of prAna being the next big urban streetwear producer.

-tara

mped

Nov 13, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #41 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Damn It! climbing is becoming way too popular, They should outlaw strong ropes to keep the numbers down, The whole sport is going down the drain! :evil:

I asked myself, "how did this person come to this reasoning."

Look at it this way. Prana is expected to reach sales of $30 million in 2005. What will this do? People will say 'Hey, look at that.' Alas, more competition will come into the market and we (climbers) will have a greater selection of clothing for climbing.

Now in evaluation of your reasoning. If climbing was never popular would the Cam, Climbing Shoe, Dynamic Rope, Harness, Nut, Quickdraw, Climbing Wall, etc, etc ever have come about? It's the popularity of climbing that allows new technology into the market that make climbing greater, safer, easier. If anything... Prana going public will only promote climbing into levels unseen before. And remember it's outdoor clothing, not climbing. SO if we talk specifics: you should say the "outdoor activites are going down the drain."

And lastly, who cares? Prana has one purpose: To make a profit. Good for them. I'm in college and wear Prana everyday. I've even got some climbers wearing them when not climbing. And I wear them because a) they are comfortable b) they look sweet c) when I go to buy I new pair I don't have to try em on, just grab a medium from the rack and I'm set and d) my parents pay for them.

-mped

squierbypetzl

Nov 13, 2005, 3:42 AM
Post #42 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If climbing was never popular would the Cam, Climbing Shoe, Dynamic Rope, Harness, Nut, Quickdraw, Climbing Wall, etc, etc ever have come about? It's the popularity of climbing that allows new technology into the market that make climbing greater, safer, easier.
-mped

Just to be contrary, I´ll add that it´s really the incentive and ingenuity of climbers that have perpetuated stuff like the nut and climbing wall. You can bet that even if there were only a handful of climbers worldwide, they´d come up with ways to improve on their sport/lifestyle, not necesarrilly thinking about including non-climbers into their activity.
Like I said, I´m just being contrary. You´re point is actually quite valid.

Partner cracklover

Nov 13, 2005, 4:53 AM
Post #43 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really care if it becomes the next "urban chic". My goretex jacket is made by Columbia, and it matters to me not one whit that I see a dozen Columbia gore-tex jackets every rainy day in the city.

But for anyone who does wear prana, there is a reason to be worried: If their key market shifts from climbers (and yogis?) to yuppies, then the styles they produce will shift with them. Again - doesn't matter to me - only prana item I've ever bought was a hat. Just too pricey for me, and I don't care about the style.

GO

litleclimberchick

Nov 13, 2005, 5:06 AM
Post #44 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yuppies scare me... :(

curt

Nov 13, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #45 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
P.S. please leave any "climbing is becoming popular and going down the drain" rants out of this thread.

Climbing is becoming popular and going down the drain. :D

Curt

jimdavis

Nov 13, 2005, 6:59 AM
Post #46 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can just as easily climb in Carhartt's ...

YEAH BUDDY!

Lets hear if for the Cah-haahts!!!

Damn near everyone I know in Maine that climbs, climbs in Carhartts... I'm even wearing a pair now!

Jim

overlord

Nov 13, 2005, 8:27 AM
Post #47 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think itll change much.

and i prefer cassin for climbing pants anyway.

wolfemom

Nov 13, 2005, 1:00 PM
Post #48 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don’t you think the attitude of “I don’t want non-climbers or poseurs wearing prAna” a bit elitist? What the soccer mom is wearing while sipping her latte at the local Starbucks has no effect on what is happening at your favorite crag. Who cares if she doesn’t have reason to wear it? Maybe it looks good, feels comfortable, and has enough flexibility in movement to allow her to comfortably sit on the floor and play with her toddler.

I definitely agree with the sentiment of hoping their product doesn’t change. I love prAna because (as a climber-poseur-yuppie-soccer mom-or whatever label others feel compelled to apply to me) I can get dressed in the morning, drop the kids off at school, go to a catechist meeting at church, run back to my son’s school to volunteer in his class, go to the grocery store, and then get a bit of bouldering in before I have to pick the kids up. Then, after homework is done we can all go climb. I haven’t had to change clothes all day – which reduces the amount of laundry I have to do - which conserves water and detergent and allows for more time to climb.

-wolfemom

roadstead

Nov 13, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #49 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
What are some US manufacturers that still make their own stuff and haven't "sold-out"? Who are some other small time gear makers are out there keeping it local? I feel bad giving money away to the overseas big boys every time I go to REI.
Chris
Think VERVE :wink:
or Blurr (granted, they're from Canadia and all, but still...)

So Verve is from Canada? You better tell that to Boulder Co. I don't think they know yet! :oops:

squierbypetzl

Nov 14, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #50 of 112 (10595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It´s the same "problem" with every extreme sport/lifestyle brand.

Take Billabong and Reef for example; both originally surfer oriented production lines. Then non-surfing people started buying their stuff a lot. You can´t really blame ´em, Billabong makes some damn good looking surf shorts and Reef has some really nice sandal designs, but a lot of surfers still felt that they were being robbed of a trademark within their community (and since most surfers aren´t at all territorial...). I don´t care, I´ve surfed but I can´t call myself a surfer, and I´d still buy a t-shirt if I like the print on it.

Another example are the skateboarding labels like Vans, who were only too happy to cater to the demands of a mass market. And some skaters, like some climbers now, felt that it took away from their identity.

It doesn´t matter. Let posers be posers, and fer heaven´s sake, let people wear whatever the heck they want to wear.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook