RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

cal_gundert05

Nov 13, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Will this work?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, I've checked out clodclimb and other people's setups already, but I find this to be the cheapest and relatively easy. I borrowed it from mtnclmbr4 on another thread in this forum.
1) For the actaul walking line, tie a bowline at one end of webbing, loop it around a tree and pass the rest of the line through.
2) With the other end, tie a slipknot around a biner, with a knot in the loose end to make sure it doesn't slip through the knot. That's the end of the walking line.
3) With another piece of webbing, tie a bowline, loop around tree ("anchoring tree") , and pass the rest of the line through.
4) With the loose end, tie a trucker's hitch around the biner, with some extra webbing to pull on, which will pull the biner closer to the "anchoring tree," tightening the walking line.

Anyone see anything wrong with that?

Thanks

reno

Nov 13, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Re: Will this work? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope. Ur gonna die.

roshiaitareya

Nov 13, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not have the tightening end of the line an extension of the walking line?

chalkfree

Nov 13, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It'll cut the webbing eventually of course, that is if I understand you right.

Don't you have any biners? And that pulley system is pretty underpowered.

If you wanna see the way I do it the link in my sig has some setup instructions.

cal_gundert05

Nov 14, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's funny the way things worked out. I posted my question right before going to Indian Rock. While at Indian, I blew out my right knee on a route that's just within my skill level. I had done it before maybe 10 times, but this was my first time back in 2 weeks, so I forgot the moves and put too much weight on my tweaked right leg.
So, no slacklining for me until I get better. But maybe I'll just ask for a slackline for Christmas and save myself some money.
:D

Partner slacklinejoe

Nov 14, 2005, 1:43 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why not have the tightening end of the line an extension of the walking line?

Ok, so it's irrelevant to the posters original question and ok, so this isn't my strongest suit but from my understanding there is an actual reason to want to do this in some instances (maybe not necessarily this one).

Not that most people think of it, but in pulley systems setup like most of you guys use slacklines that first turn around the webbing is only a redirect, so no advantage is achieved, but friction reducing pull efficiency is.

Technically speaking anyway, starting at the anchor, going to a biner on the main line, then pulling back towards the tree creates a 2:1 on the first turn instead of only redirecting. From that point on you resume your usual part of where each pulley on the moving side would mean that advantage was increased in a multiple of 2's, where as the static side was only increased by a multiple of 1. Assuming my 5th grade science teacher wasn't bs'ing or my memory isn't totally fried from a long weekend: starting on the tree would reduce friction in the system when compared to starting from the main line by the getting straight into the advantage portion of the system and skipping the redirect.

Someone please correct me if I'm way off base, my brain is barely functioning right now.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook