Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
TOOELE TOWER at the Eagle Crags above Rockville?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stroker

Nov 15, 2005, 6:04 AM
Post #1 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

TOOELE TOWER at the Eagle Crags above Rockville?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Zion_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A few years ago my friend Todd and I hiked to the formation know by the locals as "Aunt Jamima" This is the largest tower due south of Rockville. We searched for beta on this formation, and were informed that we needed everthing from etriers to pitons, and cams to nuts. We humped the giant wall packs to the base and began our climb on the west side of the tower. At the top of the first pitch we discovered crusty white webbing wrapped around a bush/tree. After this pitch we climb two more pitches (three in total) to the wonderful summit of this entirely detached rock statue. When I arrived at top, the sun was setting on St. George and I was searching for anchors. Of all the gear I portered to this route, I did not bring a headlamp. On top, I scrambled to find anything to anchor to and bring my partner (Todd) to my position. Instead of finding the past ascentionists anchors, I was forced to drilled a bolt and pound a knifeblade in the dark. Afterwards we had to plug a bunch of our gear into cracks to establish rappells. When I arrived in Cedar Ciy, I became obvious that Todd and I may have bagged the first ascent of this tower. Arguments amongst locals claimed that we only repeated. Due to curiousity, I went back two more times to explore the summit in search of anchors. I even trundled blocks in case webbing was buried underneath. I have never found any trace of anchor on the summit of this tower. With the exception of the white webbing on top of the first pitch, there is not any trace of passage except for mine and Todds. We named this formation Tooele Tower, in honor of our home town.

Has any body heard anything about this?

Cheers

-tda

superbum

Nov 15, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #2 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Re: TOOELE TOWER at the Eagle Crags above Rockville? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I googled it and came up with this:

http://www.whiterose.org/...Troll-Rock-Front.JPG

Someone must have followed you and took a picture of you trundling for anchors!

stroker

Nov 15, 2005, 7:03 AM
Post #3 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look at my pecks. Those are only due to the many hours of swinging axes at really cold ice, while it shards in my eyes. Come one people...a troll? Why not simple stick to the basics and call me an A..hole. I understand if your conservative, so call me a freak of all freaks instead. But don't call me a troll. Maybe the only ones that call me a troll are the ones that play D&D on a Friday night. The same ones that only have female connection only when they see their mothers. I need to put my wife to bed. Bye Bye

rockprodigy

Nov 17, 2005, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Alex McAfee's pathetic excuse for a guidebook claims that Scott Fisher climbed many of those back in the '70's. Based on my experience with McAfee's fine work, it would not surprise one bit if that statement has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever.

Any info in the VC?

brianinslc

Nov 17, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think Alex McAfee's pathetic excuse for a guidebook claims that Scott Fisher climbed many of those back in the '70's. Based on my experience with McAfee's fine work, it would not surprise one bit if that statement has absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever.

I'd also heard the rumor that all the Eagle Crags had been climbed.

No info here. Nothing that I can recall in the AAJ's either.

Brian in SLC

stroker

Nov 19, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #6 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the infor, or lack thereof. My belief that I got the first ascent of the main tower is becoming more of a reality.

Thanks again

-tda

lajhanata

Nov 19, 2005, 1:21 AM
Post #7 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now you gotta draw up a topo for the rest of us.

stroker

Jan 6, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #8 of 8 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look it up on Summitpost.com
Its under Mrs. Butterworth in the Utah Mountains section. The route that climbs the tower is "The Backside"

Cheers,

Tda

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook