Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Arkansas roadtrip...early November 05
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

brianinslc

Nov 1, 2005, 6:24 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Arkansas roadtrip...early November 05  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Hawksbill: Lower_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, headin' to Arkansas at the end of this week. Hoping to get some local beta.

Hit list is:

Sam's Throne.
Mt. Magazine.
Pinnacle Mountain.
Horseshoe Canyon.

What am I missing?? I have just over a week's worth of time.

Also, any recommendations on hotels in those climbing areas would be SUPER! Cheap, but, livable. We're not planning on bringing camping gear.

We'll be in Little Rock for a day or two. Recommendations on good restaurants (emphasis on good beer and bbq)? Local inexpensive hotels? Climbing gear stores?

Also, want the latest guidebook on Mt. Magazine, any idear where to get one? Have the Rock and Ice article photocopied, so, can make do if need be with that.

Any hints or help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brian in SLC

jackscoldsweat

Nov 1, 2005, 6:39 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Re: Arkansas roadtrip...early November 05 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Brian,

I would suggest, while you are out and about the Sams Throne area, to stop by Red Rock Point. Although it is on private property.

JCS

crzdriver

Nov 1, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When will someone realize that climbing isn't a divine right given to us to tresspass at will? Access there is so sensitive right now, without us inviting roadtrippers to just drop by and try not to get shot by a hothead local.

That has nothing to do with your road-trip, however, it sounds like you have all the great high points on there. There is more climbing in those areas than you could accomplish in a month straight. If you are in the Fayetteville area, try Lewis & Clark (479) 756-1344, Pack Rat (479) 521-6340, or Uncle Sam's (479) 442-0990. All of them should have a guide to mag. Check around Little Rock for info on Pinnacle. If you don't have access to the old Sam's Throne guidebook, drop me a line, and I'd be happy to e-mail you some images from mine since you can't buy it anymore.

zao479

Nov 1, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

11/5/05 at HRC They are having some pros come in to climb and do some presentations. They have the details on climbinghrc.com (or something like that) Mabey we will see you there.

brianinslc

Nov 1, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
11/5/05 at HRC They are having some pros come in to climb and do some presentations. They have the details on climbinghrc.com (or something like that) Mabey we will see you there.

Yeah, heard this guy was coming...

http://wowasatch.com/...-speed-and-brian.jpg

Hmmm. Does make me want to blast from Little Rock straight to HRC. Sounds like a fun gig. Plus, good way to get some local beta.

Thanks,

Brian in SLC

lrcc

Nov 1, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't bother with Pinnacle Mountain. Nothing worthwhile for climbing. Excellent tourist hike though. In Little Rock you can check out Shinall Mountain instead. For gear hit Ozark Outdoors or Little Rock Climbing Center.

jackscoldsweat

Nov 1, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When will someone realize that climbing isn't a divine right given to us to tresspass at will? Access there is so sensitive right now, without us inviting roadtrippers to just drop by and try not to get shot by a hothead local.

Hey crazie, calm down. I never said anything about tresspassing. I pointed out the fact that RRP is on private property. Brian is a big enough boy to take care of himself and the accept the consequences of his choices.

be safe,
JCS

mzem919

Nov 1, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've heard camping and parking are closed at the main area of Sam's. They're renovating the campground and have it closed. You'll have to park on the side of the road and hike in on one of the other trials. unfortunately I don't have the beta on these trails as I haven't been down recently to have to find them for access. I'm sure someone reading has better beta on that. HCR's a great place for climbing. the guide is free online from their website http://www.climbhcr.com.
I can't offer you much in the way of eateries, but I will warn you that much of northern AR is dry. no alcohol to be found unless you know which rock to look behind. I'm sure there are wetter counties to the south of Sam's and HCR but I'm not sure what the drive time is from A to B. if you're coming up from Little Rock I'd definitely stock the cooler.
Happy climbing, it's gorgeous down there.

therealbovine

Nov 1, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brian,

Having only one week, I'd suggest the following;

Call Horseshoe Canyon Ranch and get a Cabin reserved. Its dirt cheap this time of year (if you can get one). This will allow you to maximize time at the following recommended areas, all which are either a five mnute hike from your cabin or around a half hour drive away - HCR, Sams Throne, Cave Creek, Haw Creek, Stack Rock, Deliverance, Valley of the Blind, Fraggle Rock.

Info for the cabins at HCR are on thier website. Info for the climbing areas other than HCR can be found via Petra Climbing Gym in Springfield Missouri (guidebook author owns the gym and the employees are always nice about getting info out).

So...Best of luck. There is SOOOOO much rock in Arkansassy that you will have to come back agian and again!

greengoblin

Nov 1, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They have cabins at the ranch you can stay in that are really reasonable. I think they are less than $40 per night. From HCR, Sam's is only about 30 minutes away. If you go to HCR, they will point you in all the right directions. If you want some route recommendations, let me know what your interested in climbing. You're going to have an awesome trip. Arkansas sandstone is some of the best around.

climbfourteenk

Nov 1, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like most people have the bases covered... Jason Kehl is speaking in the barn at HCR saturday night. As for eats... I don't know any good bbq, but as far as a cool place to hang out, good beer, and GREAT pizza, try Damgoode pies on Cantrell. In Jasper (10 miles from HCR) is the Ozark Cafe, and their food is great as well (burgers and southern cookin'). OK, I take my BBQ comment back. Try Doe's, which is just off of the River Market, in downtown Little Rock. It is excellent!!!

rhu

Nov 1, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The food in Little Rock is going to be much better than the climbing. My vote goes to Pizza D'Action on Markham or Vino's on 7th for excellent pizza. The Magazine section on the RDB has every route there listed, of course the guide is much better and one of the places that crzdriver mentioned should have one available. Ditto on the HCR stuff. The nearest booze to HCR is Fayetteville or Eureka Springs to the West and Little Rock to the South.

brianinslc

Nov 2, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sounds like most people have the bases covered... Jason Kehl is speaking in the barn at HCR saturday night.

Anyone know if he's showing MC's latest flicks?

Big Game or Best of the West?

-Brian in SLC

bsignorelli

Nov 9, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The food in Little Rock is going to be much better than the climbing. My vote goes to Pizza D'Action on Markham or Vino's on 7th for excellent pizza.

Vino's for excellent pizza?!?!? WTF happened to your taste buds? :D Vinos has good micro-brew (in house) beers but their pizza is paper thin and no sauce. Yuck.

For a dam good pizza check out DamGoode Pies on Cantrell or Kavanaugh. I reccomend 'The Greek' :)

brianinslc

Nov 14, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Folks, thanks a bunch for the beta. Great trip. Some impressions....

Pinnacle Mountain: fun, but, short and not too much of interest for the rock climber, but, still, nice area, good hiking, close to Little Rock, nice for part of a day. Permit for climbing required, seems typical of the state parks in AR. No hassle gettin' one, though, folks at the VC very pleasant.

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch: wow. Sports climbin' a go-go. Really fun. Even the easier routes are super fun. Wow. Very uncrowded mid week. Slide show was super.

Cave Creek and Sam's Throne: awesome. Not a soul around. Great climbing.

Magazine Mountain: neat, classic climbing. Right to Flight/The Nose...has to be, one of the biggest roofy type climbs I've done...wild stuff. Construction action is a bit of a bummer, as it havin' to get a permit to climb. Area seems a bit less travelled (overgrown trail). Still, workable and a fun spot to visit.

I'd highly recommend the Jasper experience for the travelling climber. Cheap hotels, great eats, great access to a number of climbing venues close by. You guys are spoiled!

Lucky with the weather, too, this last week. Nice.

Thanks again,

-Brian in SLC

zao479

Nov 15, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #16 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's good to hear that you had a good time. I was at the slide show. what did you think about that send on evilution. :shock:

brianinslc

Nov 16, 2005, 6:52 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's good to hear that you had a good time. I was at the slide show. what did you think about that send on evilution. :shock:

Was that the one where the dude sent the route with a whole posse of folks spotting and a bazillion crash pads below him? Ha ha.

Was surprised how crowded it was, and, how darn uncrowded the ranch was during the week.

Fun stuff.

-Brian in SLC

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook