RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

genlock

Jul 25, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Toes hurting like hell!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess it's normal, but I'm just wondering if anybody had experienced a blood accumulation under Both big toes. I'm not sure, but I think it`s because of lots of crack climbing OR the fall I took and both toes hit the wall at the same time.. anyways... I just can't wear my clibing shoes anymore.. it hurt so much.. I'll see a doctor but want to hear about you.

- Genlock

elvislegs

Jul 25, 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Toes hurting like hell!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lose toenails regularly, more during ski season than rock, but both times. Part of what we do I think. A solution? ... Just whack em' off dude, they are obviously too long anyway.

massbayclimber

Aug 7, 2002, 1:29 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, yea my toes have killed after I climb cracks too and I have no clue what to do and all my friends give me the best advice, "Suck it up son"

genlock

Aug 7, 2002, 1:40 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah.. I guess.. I wanted to go see a doctor, I heard ( after the post) that they puncture the nail to remove the blood from under the toe.. It`s been a week now and I climbed all day, didn't hurt that much.. removed shoes between climbs.. I guess I'll let it heal on it's own

cragchica

Aug 7, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From my experience, you've got the right attitude. I'd say don't push it too far and it'll heal on it's own. Chances are, you'll lose your nail. I lost mine after badly jarring it against the front of my running shoes while training for my first marathon. It bruised badly underneath the nail and after a couple of weeks the nail just peeled off. I kept climbing on it and it hurt for a while but toughened up... especially as the nail started to grow back (it did take a few months to grow back in completely).
That experience, however is nothing compared to the broken toe that I have now. I broke it back in the beginning of june. It still kills me to wear anything but my comfy (but badly in need of new rands) diamonds. I was in Yosemite last week, and was literally in tears on the first pitch of After Six because the pain of sticking it in the crack was so bad. I stumbled a few moves up until I could rest well enough to take my shoe off. I finished the pitch with one bare foot and climbed the rest of the route in my running shoes. I would definitely recommend not breaking your toes if you enjoy crack climbing.

[ This Message was edited by: cragchica on 2002-08-06 19:42 ]

duck

Aug 7, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he he he
Here's some Toe Repair for ya...

http://www.thegeekgroup.org/Flash/Profiles/Board/Boden/toe.htm

Dr.Duck

wildtrail

Aug 7, 2002, 3:43 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps, it is the fall or the crack climbing.

If it isn't because of the crack climbing or fall:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if it has been said. Three things, really, and I'll keep it general.

1. Your shoe isn't fitted properly

2. Your shoe isn't right for your foot (perhaps you have wide feet and own a more narrow designed shoe)

3. Cut your toenails. I carry a clippers just in case I forget and get out to the crag only to realize that I'm wearing crampons. So I clip my toenails regularily.

There is, of course, a fourth. Been climbing all day? That can make feet sore being in a rock shoe alone. Then there are your feet? Is there something wrong with them (i.e. hammertoes, flat foot, etc)? However, you would most likely notices painful feet/toes all the time if that were the case. Then again, I am not a podiatrist.

I say check to make sure your shoe is fitted properly. But first, have your feet looked at. No sense in taking extra risks if there has been some damage. I hope you are okay!

Steve

themyzz

Aug 19, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suffer from the same problem genlock. The best thing that i could suggest is to just try and stay out of your rock boots as long as possible. If your not climbing, then strap on the tevas and let your feet relax! This obviously limits the amount of time your toes are subjected to a lot af strain.

cygnus

Aug 19, 2002, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful.

You can do bogus permenant damage to you toes if it keeps up. Ingrown toenails suck.

climbincajun

Sep 9, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check your shoes! My first pair of climbing shoes were tight enough to cause my big toenails to separate from my nail bed! All because I was told that they had to be uncomfortable for good performance. BS!!!

Now I have sworn off tight shoes forever. I own a pair of 5.10 huecos that are fit only 1/2 size down. They are almost as comfortable as tennis shoes, I can wear them hours on end, and I climb harder than ever.

Dont buy into the hype! The pain is not worth it.

pbjosh

Sep 9, 2002, 10:53 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've probably lost 6 toenails by now, they grow back but yeah it sucks. Try to avoid having them fall off completely if you can - the dead nail provides a lot of protection and greatly reduces the pain. Be sure to drain it if it's got blood, puss or other juicy juices under it. Also keep the nail trimmed just like normal as the living nail grows out and pushes the dead one forward. They've never kept me from climbing for more than the first day or two in one case where I lost most of the nail and it hurt like HELL!

josh

otter

Sep 9, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mine get bruises under the toenales too...they don't really hurt all that bad unless i put direct pressure on top of the toe nail.. i think just gettingout of your shoes when you are not climbing is the best idea..and defenately not walking around very much in climbing shoes. This helps mine not get any worse. And then there is purple nail polish for those that don't want the toes to "look bad"... tehe!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook