Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

amedee

Nov 16, 2005, 6:45 PM
Post #76 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Re: Liz Clairborne aquires prAna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anybody know when the winter sale will be?

jumaringjeff

Nov 16, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #77 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could care less.

keinangst

Nov 16, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #78 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to be identified as a hardcore climber is to climb hardcore.

You wouldn't peg me as a harcore internet-poster-guy from looking at me right now, but these words, friend?---these words speak for themselves.

Type on, brothers and sisters.

keinangst

Nov 16, 2005, 7:17 PM
Post #79 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I could care less.

Go ahead, because I surely couldn't...

;)

gnarled_hands

Nov 16, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #80 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember a few years ago, people didn't know too much about prana that weren't climbers. You'd see someone wearing it and you'd get the Tyler Durden nod and move along. Now days, I see soccer moms and sorority girls wearing it (the latter is ok).

I say verve or carhartt....until carhart is bought out by weld-everything Inc.

Partner angry

Nov 16, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #81 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Grammicci
Prana
North Face
A5
Metolius
Black Diamond

All are brands I've never seen the value in owning. My Kavu's ($20) are sporting patches after a really f---ing hard year for them. I finally blew out my Carharts ($18 on sale) this month after several years, but it took "The Sender" to do it. Both are far thicker than anything Prana makes, and a wee bit cheaper.

So do you climb without cams? Metolius and BD make some of the best trad gear out there, and you never hear trad climbers walking around saying "Oh, that guy with the #4 Camalot is just such a poser".

A truly stupid statement cock_ninja. This thread is about clothing, not cams. Although I do not think that BD cams are worth it and I prefer Aliens over Metolius. Let's hear it for Mr. Reading Comprehension.

rock_ninja

Nov 17, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #82 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Grammicci
Prana
North Face
A5
Metolius
Black Diamond

All are brands I've never seen the value in owning. My Kavu's ($20) are sporting patches after a really f---ing hard year for them. I finally blew out my Carharts ($18 on sale) this month after several years, but it took "The Sender" to do it. Both are far thicker than anything Prana makes, and a wee bit cheaper.

So do you climb without cams? Metolius and BD make some of the best trad gear out there, and you never hear trad climbers walking around saying "Oh, that guy with the #4 Camalot is just such a poser".

A truly stupid statement cock_ninja. This thread is about clothing, not cams. Although I do not think that BD cams are worth it and I prefer Aliens over Metolius. Let's hear it for Mr. Reading Comprehension.

Genus, you said brands, not clothing, and as those brands are about more than just clothes, your post is more than a little myopic. Cock_ninja, very clever- I like that. SInce I'm a girl, I will definitely be taking that as a compliment. Thank you!
I just had tasty bite for breakfast.

nikegirl

Nov 17, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #83 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shut up!?!?

wow.

everyone is becoming aquired...
odd.

~T

notch

Nov 17, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #84 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it will be more expensive

Why would it be more expensive? LC has huge economies of scale in their textile purchasing, warehousing and distribution. Not to mention that Prana can consolidate all of their back office into LC's and save payroll. Price will go down or at least remain the same.

Nice job everyone for bashing this company. Imagine the thought, being in business to make money! Hey, if you draw a paycheck send me your address so I can come to your house and bash you in the mouth with a 2X4. I guess you're a sell out too.

cedk

Nov 17, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #85 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cock_ninja, very clever- I like that. SInce I'm a girl, I will definitely be taking that as a compliment. Thank you!

Uh...
You're still talking about the food packets right?

rock_ninja

Nov 17, 2005, 3:18 PM
Post #86 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Cock_ninja, very clever- I like that. SInce I'm a girl, I will definitely be taking that as a compliment. Thank you!

Uh...
You're still talking about the food packets right?

Blush!!! What are you insinuating!

iltripp

Nov 17, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #87 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I remember a few years ago, people didn't know too much about prana that weren't climbers. You'd see someone wearing it and you'd get the Tyler Durden nod and move along. Now days, I see soccer moms and sorority girls wearing it (the latter is ok).

The tyler durden nod over prana?? :?

Was this all taking place at the climbing gym?

landgolier

Nov 17, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #88 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why would it be more expensive? LC has huge economies of scale in their textile purchasing, warehousing and distribution. Not to mention that Prana can consolidate all of their back office into LC's and save payroll. Price will go down or at least remain the same.

Nice job everyone for bashing this company. Imagine the thought, being in business to make money! Hey, if you draw a paycheck send me your address so I can come to your house and bash you in the mouth with a 2X4. I guess you're a sell out too.

Nobody bagged on them for making money, just making stuff that sucks and selling it for too much. Selling overpriced shit to yuppies is the world's most reliable business model, just look at starbucks.

dynosore

Nov 17, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #89 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why does everyone assume that someone they see at the mall in (fill in your favorite outdoor brand) is a yuppie poseur? Does it make you feel superior somehow? If you saw me pull up to the Starbucks in my Porsche and get out with my H/H jacket on I'm sure you'd assume I must be a poseur. Nevermind that I've had that jacket on while roughing it in the northwoods of Canada, on fishing boats in Alaska, climbing all over, chopping wood, gutting a deer, etc. I'm not a real climber/outdoorperson like you. Nevermind that I've been climbing/fishing/hiking/hunting longer than alot of you have been alive. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

superbum

Nov 17, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #90 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just go to the thrift store and buy some khaki's then cut the crotch out (for freedom of movement) and go commando, thats what i do on summer days.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

so, Sharma and all those Stronglings are sponsered by Liz Claiborne now??? hahaha.

pjphel

Nov 17, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #91 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Re: Liz Claiborne aquires prAna! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am totally disappointed. How could liz clairborne sell out like this? If the softness of my mother and grandmother's sweater sets are compromised, or if their suits lose that professional, yet "to young to wear a suit" look, I going to be real pissed. I say Prana, mind your own business and leave these giant multi-million dollar businesses alone already. If we let this happen, when will is stop. How many mom and pop stores have to put local wallmarts out of business until we do something.

landgolier

Nov 17, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #92 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I don't want to attack you personally here, but your argument is basically, "Don't call me a yuppie poser, dammit, I'm a weekend warrior." Which is fine, most of us are weekend warriors, I've done a lot of carzy shit outdoors in a lot of places involving everything from ropes to guns to skis, but when you get down to it I'm still a software designer 5 days a week. I don't care what kind of gear anybody runs, I'm just saying this whole industry is built on selling crap to yuppies (like us). Hell, if I could think up a good product to sell to yuppies I'd be doing it right now. Prana is just the most extreme example because their stuff totally sucks, it totally unneccessary, and costs a shitton of money.

kahuna3602

Nov 17, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #93 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Liz Clairborne buys Prana, well that cuts my breath short for sure. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. Well at least Verve hasn't sold out yet. Thank you Christian!

dynosore

Nov 17, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #94 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

landgolier, sounds like we agree after all. And Prana is very overpriced for what it is. Carhart climbing, now that's more like it!

notch

Nov 17, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #95 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Nobody bagged on them for making money, just making stuff that sucks and selling it for too much. Selling overpriced s--- to yuppies is the world's most reliable business model, just look at starbucks.

Nobody bagged on them for "selling out"? Read back! As for Prana being overpriced, Prana is probably closer to underpriced. If it were OVERpriced, no one would buy it. As it stands right now, the stuff doesn't stay on the racks. I'm well aware that many climbers feel that it is too expensive for them, but that doesn't qualify as overpriced.

I don't know why I'm so wound up about this, I don't even own any!

keinangst

Nov 17, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #96 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In other news, anyone wanna buy some of my Chinese, machine-made, organic* brand of pants from pIrAna?

It has TWO capital letters. That is better than one.

*carbon-based

skateman

Nov 17, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #97 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope Liz doesn't stop making prana climbing shorts! Which for me (5'5") are really capris! Prana is defintely overpriced! I only buy it when itis 40% off.

acacongua

Nov 17, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #98 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
personally, living in San Diego for 6 years I really enjoyed the prAna thrice-a-year blow-out sales where you could get good climbing clothes for super cheap. As a result, maybe half my wardrobe is prAna (percentage decreasing with time spent abroad) and I wear their stuff climbing and around town all the time but not for yoga, as I sweat too much during yoga. Being overseas, it is hard if not impossible to find their clothes, maybe this new deal will help with that.

What I would give for that store in this area. Are you the one with all the Prana on Ebay?

stevep

Nov 17, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #99 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that Prana is overpriced. The stuff I have I didn't pay full price for and wouldn't. But I also wouldn't say it sucks. The build quality has generally been pretty good and the styling nice.
There are certainly times when I prefer a lightweight, loose set of Prana pants to jeans or Carhartts. They move better and not all climbing requires thrashing up approaches and into abrasive Vedauwoo offwidths. I see people wearing Carhartt in the gym or in relatively warm boldering weather, and they are making just as stupid a statement.

kimmyt

Nov 17, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #100 of 112 (9551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope Liz doesn't stop making prana climbing shorts! Which for me (5'5") are really capris! Prana is defintely overpriced! I only buy it when itis 40% off.

Which brings up another very important question. Will the Liz Claiborne Outlet Store now be selling prAna stuff? Cause that would be the only way I could afford to buy it anyway.

LIZ I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS. PUT PRANA STUFF IN YOUR FRANKLIN MILLS OUTLET STORE OKAY THX

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook