Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thrmaln

Nov 17, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #1 of 39 (9736 views)
Shortcut

Carhartt clothing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

Since I just blew the ass out of my main climbing shorts while sitting on some pointy flakes setting up an anchor (ouch) I am in need of some new digs. I am a big guy 6'4" 38" to 40" waist, I do not fit in most activewear clothing (Prana, Sickle and the like)

I had heard some good things about Carhartt and how durable they are and that people are using it for climbing. I had also considered Dickies as well. Carhartt has their pants in a bunch of different styles and fits. If anyone is climbing in Carhartt pants or shorts, can you fill me in as to which Style has the range of motion that is good for climbing without being restricted? I think its the Dungaree fit or the Loose Fit by their description on their website, but would like some feedback before I choose. I still need to find a place that carries them near me so I can try them on.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

andy_reagan

Nov 17, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Re: Carhartt clothing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yo dude, don't expect to be doing any crazy gymnastic highstep, high heel hooks, etc very well in carharts but for less than complete strenuous climbing they are great. Like you say, they hold up quite well. I wear them when going out doing long trad days. I wear them messing around bouldering. I probably wouldn't wear them if I was trying to redpoint the hardest sport climb I ever tried, though.

Have fun?

chadnsc

Nov 17, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in Carhartt pants a lot. I find the duck washed (pre washed) carpenter style to work the best for climbing. The pants are a bit stiff when you first wear them but I don't find it restricts my climbing in the least.

dirtbag101

Nov 17, 2005, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seeing how this guy is 6'4" with a 40" waist I don't think he will be doing too many heel hooks and gymnastic moves. Carharts will be just fine. I wear them for just about everything.

crimpstrength

Nov 17, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love carhartt. They are so comfy. I wear them everywhere, class, rock gym, climbing, everywhere. Double fronts are indestructible. Once you get them worn in a little, they are the best.

trainor

Nov 17, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear Carharrt Overalls and had no trouble once they were broken in. i love em so i say enjoy the longest lasting pair of pants you'll ever buy.

addict

Nov 17, 2005, 5:16 PM
Post #7 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude they are bomber. i own three pair. (the best part is you can not wash them for a week and no one can tell). but they are the best for cracks and offwidths i enjoy the doubled knee, they are a little stiff at first just wear them for like 4 days stright and you should be golden.

jimdavis

Nov 17, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #8 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The single leg pants aren't that stiff at all.

I love mine, I boulder in them at work all the time. I've heel hooked in them just fine...

Go for it dude.

Jim

pjphel

Nov 17, 2005, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
Broken in or not, I find that Carhartt pants restrict my ability to highstep. I generally prefer climbing in a comfy pair of jeans. Carhartt's do however, excel in situations that will involve excessive wear at the knees (such as off-widths, Aid climbing or planting in your garden).

take care
Patrick

murf

Nov 17, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhhh, Carhartt's.. the current anti-Prana pants of choice. Grow out your scruffy beard and wear heavy black framed glasses. Eschew synthetic tops and only wear button up shirts ( but with striped not South West patterns, only *real men* can pull thatSW shit off ) with those work pants.

Sure you get that heavy duty canvas protection from the grains and cats claws of the outrageous southwest. But with that you get the truly horrible scrotal crunching that can only come from climbing in Carhartts. OK, fine, maybe you're only going to shove yourself into the gaping horror shows of Vedauwoo. Your leg movement can be restricted to things like the heal-toe and the knee bar, and crucial soft tissue injuries might be avoided.

But for any other type of climbing, for men with fully descended testicles, there is only one pair of work pants worth wearing: ArborWear. Give your boys a home, only wear ArborWear.

Murf

greengoblin

Nov 17, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Mountain Khakis. They make an awesme alternative to the Carhartts that has a gusseted crotch. Theses pants are comfy and indestructible.

jh_angel

Nov 17, 2005, 6:57 PM
Post #12 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in Carhartt carpenter style dungarees. No problems getting my heel next to my head or anything like that and they're waaaay more comfortable than any pair of pants designed for climbing that I've tried.

glyrocks

Nov 17, 2005, 7:08 PM
Post #13 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure you get a cool color. I hear green is pretty hot this season.

ledavis23

Nov 17, 2005, 7:19 PM
Post #14 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you love your carhartts, get out of the over-priced, less-than-durable "sportswear" market:
buy a used sewing machine and learn to sew. Check out seattlefabrics.com for some amazing and very durable fabrics. They have some nylons that are very durable and less stiff than the duck canvas that carhartts are made of. They even carry powerstretch and various plys of gore-tex for your winter needs. I just made a pair of 3-ply goretex shell pants and they are amazing. They are comprable to Arcteryx hardshells, with seam tape and all.

murf

Nov 17, 2005, 7:24 PM
Post #15 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless you love your carhartts, get out of the over-priced, less-than-durable "sportswear" market:
buy a used sewing machine and learn to sew. Check out seattlefabrics.com for some amazing and very durable fabrics. They have some nylons that are very durable and less stiff than the duck canvas that carhartts are made of. They even carry powerstretch and various plys of gore-tex for your winter needs. I just made a pair of 3-ply goretex shell pants and they are amazing. They are comprable to Arcteryx hardshells, with seam tape and all.

I just find measuring myself such a hassle. I think I'll start doing a bunch of yoga to make this easier. What kind of pants should I wear for yoga?

connors

Nov 17, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #16 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear the double knee logger all the time when climbing and I have never had a problem high stepping or hooking.

lidosis

Nov 17, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #17 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on team carhartt as well they rock, I don't know how big you guys buy your pants who say they don't restrict motion. Maybe you don't have that much motion to restrict, yeah I can heel hook and stuff but foot next to your ear stuff they are sort of difficult. Like others said I wear them climbing but I would probally not when working for a hard redpoint or such.

Lid

Partner macherry

Nov 17, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #18 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

sewing.......who has time.......or like me, the talent!!!!!!

i buy the cheap dickies at the local walmart........yeah i know i know, the store is the devil's stomping grounds!!!!!!!

virginia_alpinist

Nov 17, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #19 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear them all the time. Agree that they may be a bit restrictive for tough redpoints. Anything else though they work just fine.

BTW. they are usually on sale at....

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Default.asp?wc=true

refugee

Nov 17, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #20 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carhartt's are great if you really enjoy wearing over-priced, trendy, brand-name threads. The worst part about Carhartt's is that they are hypocritical--they are the "anti-image image." At least with other brands, they are at least honest with what they are ...

stabla

Nov 17, 2005, 9:18 PM
Post #21 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

refugee, and to anyojne else out there criticizing products because of name....Everyone who tries to buy "different" clothes and feel better about themselves...stop, it doesn't work, non-conforming doesn't work, everyone will be like somone else, no matter how hard they try with the way they dress, so get over yourself bud! carhartts are amazing clothes whether any of these other "non-conformists" want to admit or not!!
yahtzee!

refugee

Nov 17, 2005, 9:25 PM
Post #22 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that they make a durable good product

But it's not a cheap product, despite it having a blue collar image. Their pants are one of the most expensive on the market. And yes, I've worn through every pair of Carhartts that I've ever bought.

Every product is a "name brand" so get over it. If you like the "blue collar" clothing image, than go to a thrift store. If you embrace your trendiness, than buy carhartts. I don't fault anyone for either choice

bobruef

Nov 17, 2005, 9:28 PM
Post #23 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carharts are indy huh? :lol: I thought only country folk, like myself, wore them.

Seriously though, anyone who has put a pair of carharts to the test, in their propper arena (hard industrial or agricultural labor) will understand their popularity, and staunch group of followers. They are absolutely indestructable. I haven't tried them out climbing though, for fear of the limited range of motions. Maybe I'll give them a shot.

The best advice I can give future carhart wearers has already been mentioned, and I will second it - Wear them about 4 days without washing before you climb in them. They get very stiff after you wash them the first dozen or so times. Oh, yeah, they shrink pretty well too.

You might smell funny, but that won't bother you because you're a no-conformist, right! :D

flatlandtrav

Nov 17, 2005, 9:40 PM
Post #24 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have found out that BDU's work great. Alot of them have reinforced knees and butts. They are durable and are easy to move in. You can get them anywhere that sells army surplus clothing.

Partner j_ung

Nov 17, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #25 of 39 (9735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in double-front Carrharts on runout friction slabs to, hopefully, preserve a little skin if I fall. Lately, however, I've been kickin' 'round in a couple pairs of Arborwear pants... and I think maybe I'm converting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook