RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

duck

Aug 7, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

It's just sad.........
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Having bought my first 3 Nuts yestreday (BD Stoppers #4,7, and 9) I got bored this afternoon and took a walk around my neighborhood.

After walking along a 4' high retaining wall on the side of a local street for about 200 yards feeling every crack I finally found one where it was just a crack, not just where the outer layer of concrete was flaking off.

I put on my haress, set the #7 and clipped in. Having a blast just hanging there bouncing on it, experimenting with different placements and learnign how to remove it, all kinds of stuff. Completely oblivious to the world around me, I'm just having fun playing in this little crack on a wall that if I stood up would only be chesh high. I played there for half an hour, not bothering anyone, just hanging out with my nuts.

Then a tap on my shoulder brings me crashing back to reality.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to explain to the police officer why you're hanging on the side of a 4' concrete wall in a harness just because you wanted to see what it felt like to use a stopper? I'm quite sure he believes I'm insane.

Just wait until I get a cam.....

Duck

[ This Message was edited by: duck on 2002-08-06 20:54 ]

wildtrail

Aug 7, 2002, 3:56 AM
Post #2 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

It's just sad......... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it Duck! Just love it. You painted such a nice picture there. I could see it. Haning from a four foot wall looking like a complete idiot to the world around you (no offense intended). I see this big, childish grin, and can hear laughter (like ten children having fun). Man that is a great story.

I gotta climb with you sometime!

Steve

chrisshaeffer

Aug 7, 2002, 3:59 AM
Post #3 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Reminds me of a time I was up late in college, studying, waaaaay too much coffee. Decided to get outside and move around a bit to shake the haze out of my head. Must have been 2am on a Saturday morning.

To wake up I decided to balance walk the top of my neighbors fence- about a half inch wide- in a low crouch. I did it every now and then to practice balance for some tricky outdoor work I did at the time.

The 2 bike cops who stopped me were pretty confused. I mean, what were they going to do? Ask me to walk a straight line? I'd like to see them balance on a 1/2 inch fence.

Dorks. You must have looked REAL threatening hanging on that crack. Obviously a criminal.

You shouldn't even have had to explain yourself. Is there a law against using climbing pro in a retaining wall?? Man, nosey cops give me the creeps, though I suppose I understand their caution- they've got a tough job.

Take care,
Chris

duck

Aug 7, 2002, 4:03 AM
Post #4 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to understand, I own a local Science school so hey know me *really* well (I've laready been banned from the WMU campus, lol)

They know me as "That lightning guy" (I'm a HV-HE Physicist), so he was already expecting something unusual when he saw my face.

And Steve, my head of engineering is driving over to GeekHouse from Wisconsin this weekend, you're welcome to come along and teach me a few things, I'm eager to learn!

Duck

[ This Message was edited by: duck on 2002-08-06 21:04 ]

nailzz

Aug 7, 2002, 4:19 AM
Post #5 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAHA!!

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I've often considered practicing my solo-aid technique on a huge beam that supports the floor of the second-story deck at my parents' house. The problem is, their backyard faces a fairly uppity country club golf course. It's close enough that you can hear golfers talking as they pass by.

I can just imagine their thoughts when they tool by and see me hanging half upside down underneath a one-story deck and soberly contemplating my next 'sling hook' around the fat beam. My dad would probably get kicked out of the club.

I think you've inspired me to not care enough to actually do it. Now I'll have to head to the Black Diamond store and buy about 50 feet of webbing to make big enough slings to go around the beam!

kerouac

Aug 7, 2002, 4:39 AM
Post #6 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These stories are great. Keep them coming. I'm laughing my a** off.

cragchica

Aug 7, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #7 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hilarious! sounds like something I might do.

duck

Aug 7, 2002, 4:57 AM
Post #8 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should see what an average day for me is like, I'm a very weird guy

http://www.thegeekgroup.org/Flash/Profiles/Board/Boden/chrisboden.htm

Weirdo Duck
"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson

chrisshaeffer

Aug 7, 2002, 5:05 AM
Post #9 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, Duck- nice studio. 2-track, 4-track analog AND DAW? I'd love to talk about all that stuff, but this is RC.com. I've been known to fiddle with multitracking a bit myself.

Ever hang out over at homerecording.com?

Just don't hang out there on a 4' retaining wall...

Congrats on being part of not one but TWO groups of weirdos- climbers and homerec'ers.
-Chris

xanx

Aug 7, 2002, 5:21 AM
Post #10 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now THIS is what climbing is all about... walking around and wondering exaclty how sturdy is that pipe bolted into the ceiling... I have read a lot of stuff by guys who get caught up in "being the best"; guys who are more concerned with whether they climbed a 5.14a or a 5.14b rather than if they had fun. i can't pass a chain link fence anymore without campusing up it. We all need to remember to just do whatever seems fun to us; screw what everyone else does.

apollodorus

Aug 7, 2002, 5:37 AM
Post #11 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This fine OW

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=5369"

is directly across the street from a Saturday Night cop storefront the city uses to keep the club kids in check.

You up?

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-08-06 22:38 ]

climber_chick

Aug 7, 2002, 5:54 AM
Post #12 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol-that's funny!!!

Partner philbox

Aug 7, 2002, 6:03 AM
Post #13 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember showing off in front of this cousin of mine once when I was about 14. I had found this great traverse across the outside of the front verandah. Trouble is I fell off and landed flat on my back totally winded. She rushed down and asked me if I was alright and of course being winded all I could do is squeek out yep and then roll over and try to rescue some wounded pride.

And then there was the time I was experimenting with knots and ropes up the back yard. I had tied a loop in the end of the rope and then thrown the rope over a sturdy bough of the mango tree. I stepped into the loop and give the rope a yank, needless to say I ended up flat on my back again wondering what the h... just happened.

Leave me alone I was young at the time, how else is a boy supposed to learn.

...Phil...

blindslap

Aug 7, 2002, 6:30 AM
Post #14 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used to traverse my school and try to climb it. ( i made it once but thats another story) The teachers caught on and told me i had to quite or i'd be forced to leave. It really worked my crimp strength.

drake0

Aug 7, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #15 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About half way up the staircase in my house there are walls on both sides, if you shimmy yourself up a little bit it is possible to walk your self out,about 12 feet high, over the bottom stair. The celling is the same height at the bottom of the stairs as is at the top(i.e. level celling, distance from the ground is about 7' at top step and 15' at bottom step)

(I originaly had some text graphics here to help explain, but posting killed the formating. Sorry.)

To make a long story short my dad walked right under me and insisted i get down after I said 'hi'. I tried to explain that I didn't think it was the best idea because i heard the drywall creaking on the way out. My mom was dumbfounded on how to get the foot prints off the wall.

[ This Message was edited by: drake0 on 2002-08-07 09:04 ]

soulclimberchick

Aug 7, 2002, 5:06 PM
Post #16 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL! these are great! You should see the grin on my face right now! hee hee good times..you should see me when i go..well anywhere! I'll climb any building! My friends and I climbed our school last year and we just walked around on the roofs until we got kicked off. My friends (the few that aren't climbers) just look at me and call me an insane monkey! lol hee hee, you guys are great!

~*Kira*~

vertical_reality

Aug 7, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok this is a bit graphic (but funny), its my first "climbing" accident...

Ever see one of those ol' lights for your living room that extend upwards so that you basically jam it in between the floor and the ceiling and the lights just come off on branchie things? When I was a kid, around 5 I loved climbing up and down this thing... I was a big Spiderman fan.

Well my Mom's favourite hobby is knitting... and for those who may not know what knitting is, it involves 12' needles used to knit sweaters and stuff. Unfortunately she kept her knitting bag at the base of the light.

So picture a little 5 year old boy having a grand time climbing this pole totally unaware of the danger that lies below.

Now picture my father having to explain to the doctor why there's a 12' knitting needle sticking out of my butt cheek.

Climb Wisely... and watch for knitting needles!

duck

Aug 7, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #18 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank's for the comments on the studio it's just a little one now. I compose a *lot* of music (if you listen to the radio in the USA, or TV most anywhere in the world you've most likely heard at least one of my songs as a backing track for a commercial, I do a lot of jingles.

If you're into the Techno/House/Dance scene then yup, you guessed it, I'm DJ Duck or DJ Duckalicious.

My current studio has all you saw, plus digital multitrack and serious FX capabilities. I also have a studio in the basement for live music. I'm a percussionist (Jazz). I also play Bass and a few other things.

My BIG studio (Mach-1 Productions) was 128-tracks of DA-88, 24 tracks of ADAT, and 24 tracks of Tascam 2" tape (Analogue) with all the goodies you can dream of (Including a FULL set (enough to Mic a symphony) of Neumann's. But I sold all that years ago to found the Group. If you're ever in MI you're welcoem to drop by and lay a few tracks, and if you just wanna listen to me banter for 2 hours go to either of the local planetariums and you're hearing me on the voiceover

"Welcome tonight as we take you, throught eh eyes of hubble....."

jono

Aug 7, 2002, 5:24 PM
Post #19 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thats the one of the funniest things ive heard on this site.
at my high school i would climb a large pillar with cracks in it right next to the brick wall to get footballs and stuff.
im always climbing buildings and crap.
funny story Duck

jono

woodse

Aug 7, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #20 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reminds me of this little incident....

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=4297

No matter how many times I look at this, I laugh so hard I start crying!!

woodsE

indigo_nite

Aug 7, 2002, 5:51 PM
Post #21 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some very nice stories. I wonder if the cops just gave you warnings or did you get a fine? And were they more amused or ticked off?

The needle story was a little harsh. The drywall story, I had a hard time visualizing but liked the part about not thinking coming down was a good idea. Very nice diversions. Thanks!

wonder1978

Aug 7, 2002, 7:00 PM
Post #22 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got kicked out of a church SIX times by the priest for trying to traverse one of his walls, the last time he called the police, talk about forgiveness, he!

overlord

Aug 7, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #23 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you guy make me laugh!!! i have to do something like this. i once went to do some buildering at 1am, drunk as hell, from a party. everybody, even my partner, thought i was crazy, it was really cold outside. he said that if im not back in 1h, he will call an ambulance. i just felt like climbing and there was no stopping me. luckily no cops showed up

btw, how did your father explain the knitting pin in your butt???

CLIMB ON

cragstar

Aug 8, 2002, 4:35 PM
Post #24 of 24 (2838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to get into trad I was talking to the owner of the local climbing shop and he recomended just that to buy a few nuts or stoppers and just walk around looking for places to place them Im getting all fuzzy inside

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook