RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

talguy

Nov 18, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Beginner Boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am trying to get into mountaineering and alpinism, but i don't know what type of boots to get. I know that there are two types the plastic ski boot type of the nice leather ones. I would just like a little insight on what is better than the other and what boots everybody has.
Evan

anykineclimb

Nov 18, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #2 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Re: Beginner Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Psst...

look

down

here

l l
l l
\/

talguy

Nov 18, 2005, 5:07 PM
Post #3 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i did and that was a guy with more experienceand money i am a college kid that is bored of backpacking and wants to go higher. All I want is a little information of a decient beginner boot

anykineclimb

Nov 18, 2005, 5:12 PM
Post #4 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i did and that was a guy with more experience and money i am a college kid that is bored of backpacking and wants to go higher. All I want is a little information of a decient beginner boot

So how doesn't this apply to you???

In reply to:
This topic has been beaten to death in the past. You need to do a search. My pointers:

1) FIT is the most important criteria in choosing a boot; neither price, nor broken joint ventures. Boots are the most important item in alpine climbing. If your feet are trashed you will be slow, tired and in pain: no good in the mountains. If you're slow, tired and in pain too long, you'll die. If you don't have a lot of money buy the heavy $60 2-layer waterproof shell and not the sexy $200 Poweshield soft shell, but INVEST in the best boots you can buy. Money should be no objection for boots.

2) FORGET IT! There is no do-it-all boot! If you are thinking to get serious about alpine climbing you will need both, leather and plastic (at a minimum).

3) As a beginner, unless you live in Alaska (and you don't, you live in So Cal), the first serious boot you should buy is leather.

4) All the brands you mentioned above are good. If you have narrow, low volume feet La Sportiva might be a good fit. If you want a boot that covers a lot of terrain and weather (read: hot in the summer approach and cold in winter snow) you can't go wrong with La Sportiva Makalu.

5) Never heard of a torn apart LS Lhotse. Those hand-made boots are built like Hummers.

talguy

Nov 18, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #5 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok sorry man must have missed all of that since i did read most of the thread before posting. I hate people like being a jerk with ur look below crap you guys do. All i did was ask a question sorry for that

Partner brent_e

Nov 22, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #6 of 6 (996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ok sorry man must have missed all of that since i did read most of the thread before posting. I hate people like being a jerk with ur look below crap you guys do. All i did was ask a question sorry for that

Talguy,
In anykineclimb's defence it takes up space and bandwidth (i'm being a hypocrit, yes) to not first search for the topic before you post. I mean no offense to you, but, as you are new here I thought i'd inform you of some site etiquette.

Welcome, and take care!!

Brent

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook