Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

trenchdigger

Nov 22, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #26 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Re: Using a 9.5mm rope for TRAD? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many days a year do you climb? In JTree?

If you're employed like many of us, it's not as many as you'd like. Likewise, probably not enough to quickly wear out a 9.5mm rope there. Give us a number to work with.

bones

Nov 22, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #27 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I cant make up my mind If I should get the 9.5mm or not. :?

Get the 9.5mm. It's a good deal. Use it for climbing at Tahquitz, Suicide, Yos., Sierra, etc. Use the 10.2 for most of your Jtree climbing. A 50m rope works for most routes/rappels in Jtree.

Partner climboard

Nov 22, 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #28 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I cant make up my mind If I should get the 9.5mm or not. :?

Get the 9.5, it's a heck of a deal. I just ordered one myself. Mammut ropes wear well. I am replacing a 10.2 that won't die. It looks to be in perfect shape but is 4+ years old.

blouderk2

Nov 22, 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #29 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you're employed like many of us, it's not as many as you'd like. Likewise, probably not enough to quickly wear out a 9.5mm rope there. Give us a number to work with.

I try to get out there about every 3-4 weeks for a total of 2-3 climbing days. I've been out there twice and have climbed about a total of 6 days at josh. I would also use the rope for Yose, tahquitz,ect.

-Tom

Partner gamehendge

Nov 23, 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #30 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I try to get out there about every 3-4 weeks for a total of 2-3 climbing days. I've been out there twice and have climbed about a total of 6 days at josh. I would also use the rope for Yose, tahquitz,ect.

-Tom

Well, if it's not your only rope, then go w/ the Infinity. Again, a real sweet rope. You won't be disappointed, especially for the price.

Partner gamehendge

Nov 23, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #31 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Tom

Well, if it's not your only rope, then go w/ the Infinity. Again, a real sweet rope. You won't be disappointed, especially for the price.

blouderk2

Nov 23, 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #32 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Tom

I think im going to go ahead and get it. Seems like a great rope. Thanks

Partner eyecannon

Nov 23, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #33 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My next rope is going to be in the 9.8-10mm range and will be used for trad.

blouderk2

Nov 23, 2005, 4:19 PM
Post #34 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just ordered the 9.5mm Infinity from REI. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Partner brent_e

Nov 23, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #35 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
anyway 9.5 will have softer catch if you fall (longer stretch), so you can wear a swami belt.
Man, I wish I could rate posts today. The swami belt reference put an unexpected smile on my face.

I covered you, fiend (i usually don't use all my trophies/poos anyway).

Best

Brent

Partner eyecannon

Nov 24, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #36 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

My GF asked me what her mom should get me for Christmas. I told her the Mammut Infinity 8^)

$125 is an amazing deal for it too!

blouderk2

Nov 24, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #37 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

My GF asked me what her mom should get me for Christmas. I told her the Mammut Infinity 8^)

$125 is an amazing deal for it too!

Haha sweet!

dudemanbu

Nov 24, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #38 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive me if i'm wrong about this, but doesn't the infinity have a 9.1 kn impact force? As such, i feel like it might not be the best rope to use for trad, or manky old bolts.

Just something to think about if you climb over brassies.

The bluewater lightning pro is a great rope. It's a 9.7, with an 8.4 kn impact force, but it's only 180 grams heavier than the mammut, and is rated for 3 more falls with lower working elongation. I realize that it's only a difference of about 160 lbs.. but sometimes that's the difference between a piece pulling or not.

It's also only 6 bucks more than the mammut on rei.

blouderk2

Nov 24, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #39 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Forgive me if i'm wrong about this, but doesn't the infinity have a 9.1 kn impact force? As such, i feel like it might not be the best rope to use for trad, or manky old bolts.

The bluewater lightning pro is a great rope. It's a 9.7, with an 8.4 kn impact force, but it's only 180 grams heavier than the mammut, and is rated for 3 more falls with lower working elongation. I realize that it's only a difference of about 160 lbs.. but sometimes that's the difference between a piece pulling or not.

Yes the infinity has a 9.1 kn impact force. The bluewater lighting pro that they have on sale isnt a dry rope. Where as the Mammut is dry and is a better deal than the bluewater. You save 37% on the Mammut, and you save 25% on the bluewater.

-Tom

vegastradguy

Nov 24, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #40 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yes the infinity has a 9.1 kn impact force. The bluewater lighting pro that they have on sale isnt a dry rope. Where as the Mammut is dry and is a better deal than the bluewater. You save 37% on the Mammut, and you save 25% on the bluewater.

-Tom

actually, i think the lightning pro is a piece of junk. its my least favorite of my ropes- the thing turned to steel after about 2 months of use. i kept using it off and on and it has softened up a bit, but its still much stiffer than i'd like it to be.

be glad you bought the mammut, they make fine ropes and i've never heard anyone complain about them for any reason.

dudemanbu

Nov 24, 2005, 5:54 AM
Post #41 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the bluewater and have absolutely no complaints about it whatsoever, definitely no "steel" rope, and i've had it for 4 months. Handles as well as my old mammut flash.

blouderk2

Nov 24, 2005, 7:24 AM
Post #42 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

-Tom

actually, i think the lightning pro is a piece of junk. its my least favorite of my ropes- the thing turned to steel after about 2 months of use. i kept using it off and on and it has softened up a bit, but its still much stiffer than i'd like it to be.

be glad you bought the mammut, they make fine ropes and i've never heard anyone complain about them for any reason.

Im looking forward to getting my Mammut rope. I climbed on a buddies 10.5 Mammut flash today. It was brand new and the thing was awesome, very smooth rope.

-Tom

stymingersfink

Nov 24, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #43 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-Tom

Hay, my buddy gave me a pair of brand new shoes. They're only two sizes too large for my foot, so they're sooper comfey and not too loose with my heavy wool socks in them. They were free so I saved 100% on them, and they are a cool color but I find that I can hardly get up a 5.2 in them.

Is that a better deal than paying for a foo that shits?

Partner gamehendge

Nov 25, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #44 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Tom

Hay, my buddy gave me a pair of brand new shoes. They're only two sizes too large for my foot, so they're sooper comfey and not too loose with my heavy wool socks in them. They were free so I saved 100% on them, and they are a cool color but I find that I can hardly get up a 5.2 in them.

Is that a better deal than paying for a foo that s---?

A little wine and tryptophan and look what happens..? :wink:

squid

Nov 25, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #45 of 45 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who needs a ham samich

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook