RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

hedgehawg

Nov 26, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

What do you think of my website?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got my first website up and running and would appreciate a little feedback on it. Ideas, tips...etc
I have not filled in all of the gallerys yet and still have a few climbing shots to throw in here and there.
Just remember, this is my first attempt at a site.
Thanks for looking. :)

http://www.landonkramer.com

el_guapo

Nov 26, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Re: What do you think of my website? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice images! National geographic quality! Were all those images made using slide film? If not what kind of digicam do you use?

marc801

Nov 26, 2005, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good: nice images, reasonably well organized

Bad: no captions - what am I looking at and why might I care?
100% flash interface = sucks; bookmarking images broken, back button broken, and all the other problems with flash.

pancaketom

Nov 26, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Flash player 6 is required to view this site:"

Nothing in that sentence makes me want to fire up a browser with flash.

chossmonkey

Nov 26, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice photos, but it needs a little more climbing content to suit my tastes. It might be a nice feature to have captions with the photo's too. Who, Where, What, or Why? Doesn't need to be fancy, just a little bit about the pic. Oh yeah, I like the little sound effects.

Also you can make a clickable link by using the "URL" buttom on the top right when witing your message. http://www.landonkramer.com

You can also put a link to your site on your profile as well. Just go to edit profile, find the website box, and type in the address.

watzmann

Nov 26, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice pics. If it were my website I wouldn't use papyrus--i think it draws too much attention to itself as a font and distracts attention from the words themselves.

nikegirl

Nov 26, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

amazing photos.
image loading...takes quite a long time, easily could lose interest as it's "images loading" ...

truly beauitful photos.
very diverse.

:)
~T

mcgivney_nh

Nov 26, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pretty good images, you couldorganize the galleries-- for example a section of climbing and a section of more "artistic" photos...etc.
GOOD JOB

-Sean

roshiaitareya

Nov 26, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would put a thing on there so instead of having to close each image and click to open a new one each time, just have a little "next" arrow at the bottom. I don't think the font is bad, it looks good, and I didn't get any "flash 6 required" messages. But I'm using a Mac too, its' probably different.

Partner coldclimb

Nov 27, 2005, 2:56 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking just from my own personal opinion, I've never liked flash for photography websites. It's definitely flashy, yes, and we all like that, but it's too limiting. It's too tough to cram a whole gallery into something 800x600, or whatever size you can manage. This often forces you to pack a BUNCH of pictures under ONE thumbnail, so if I'm not interested in the thumbnail, I miss all the pictures. Just always been a peeve of mine, although I definitely concede that putting a whole photo gallery online in any form is a little tough to do.

And besides that... flash is quirky on linux, and I haven't bothered to fix it, so there's a couple things there that I can't see at all... but that's my problem.

Excellent pictures though! I always enjoy browsing photos, even if it IS flash. :D Nice work on the site as well, I know how difficult it can be to piece something like that together and make it look good, and especially work well. Good stuff!

onsight_endorphines

Nov 27, 2005, 6:24 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For your first website, excellent.

It seems like there is a lot of talk about the ups and downs of Flash. Those that are computer-savvy and keep all their stuff updated (including Flash) will see it in its best light. Those that don't will experience problems. All there is to it.

But, it does seem to take too long to load the images. My browser (IE) typically loads images of this size instantly (I have a 2.5Mbps connection)...which is what I'm used to...so when I have to wait on ANYTHING to load it's a slight irritation. This may be due to the Flash code loading.

Very nice though, the pics are outstanding. Love the B&W of the woman in the hallway, simple, yet emotional. The lighting gradients around her add a great feel to the pic.

More climbing content would be nice :D

adoubleyou

Nov 27, 2005, 9:11 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with everyone else. Those are great pictures. As someone mentioned before, though, it would be great to have them sorted into categories, different series of the same kind. On my website I have categories like mountains, ocean, trees, abstract ... That would tie them together. I'll bookmark your site and see what you do with it. Perhaps you post it, when you did some updates. Thanks for sharing.

rufusandcompany

Nov 27, 2005, 9:36 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My two biggest issues with the site are that the images cover the thumbnails, and so you have to close each one before you can open another. As a commercial shooter for thirty years, I can tell you that editors and art directors won't bother with a site that isn't dead convenient to navigate. The second problem is that your scans are flat. It isn't my screen, as I checked them against some other sites. There are lots of good photographers out there, so you need to make your images really jump out.

Your have to me your own biggest critic if you want to be competitive in this field.

Good luck

rufusandcompany

Nov 27, 2005, 9:39 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My two biggest issues with the site are that the images cover the thumbnails, and so you have to close each one before you can open another. As a commercial shooter for thirty years, I can tell you that editors and art directors won't bother with a site that isn't dead convenient to navigate. The second problem is that your scans are flat. It isn't my screen, as I checked them against some other sites. There are lots of good photographers out there, so you need to make your images really jump out.

Your have to me your own biggest critic if you want to be competitive in this field.

Good luck

ryanb

Nov 27, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would include a few multi image photo stories to show you're ability to more deeply explore a subject. Maybe choose something that would go well with the punchy colors...

hedgehawg

Nov 28, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of the responses are kind of along the lines of what I was expecting to hear... I would like to have captions, but I used a template to build the site and although you can put them in, it is a real pain. Who knows, I might get around to it.

Most of the pics were with a D-100 or D-2h, A few slides and a few film shots are mixed in as well.

The photo story is coming, but that will definitely require some captions.
Thanks again for looking!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook