Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cell Phone Reception in Jtree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

chalkfree

Nov 30, 2005, 6:54 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Cell Phone Reception in Jtree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What types of cell phones/companies get reception in the Joshua Tree? I'm specifically interested in prepaid phones. If anyone's got any ideas I'd be grateful.

rockguide

Nov 30, 2005, 7:00 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cell Phone Reception in Jtree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time I checked (over a year ago) the cell phone reception in JT was poor. Actually, non existant in the upper park unless you climbed one of the peaks.

I got good reception by driving down to Keyes view overlooking Palmsprings. This is about 15minutes drive from either hidden valley campground or Ryan... be sure to stop at the Johnny Lang gravesite on the way.

I cannot remember which company it was I connected to though.

Brian

surf_crazy75

Nov 30, 2005, 7:18 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My climbing buddy and I get reception in town (J-Tree, Yucca Valley, Morongo) but not at the Monument. He has Verizon and I have Sprint.

pipsqueekspire

Nov 30, 2005, 7:42 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weird sites... I use cingular/att and I get reception at the very center of sheeps pass camp ground center circle, the top of old woman/intersection rock the bong (near hidden valley), the top of the thin wall at times and out near ryan at the california hiking and riding trail if I stand on the roof of my car and use speaker phone to hold the handset up high. I am talking about spots the size of large boulder but if you run enough classes out there and are trying to find your clients who are late or no shows you get to know these oddities! It works better if you have an OLD phone that is not GSM but actually an old analog/digital network. When I got moved to the GSM cingular service I lost the sheeps pass area. I was bummed, I also lost lots of idyllwild service too.

In other words- dont count on it working out there!

-pip

asandh

Nov 30, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pipsquekspire wrote:
In reply to:
I get reception at the very center of sheeps pass camp ground center circle, the top of old woman/intersection rock the bong (near hidden valley), the top of the thin wall at times and out near ryan at the california hiking and riding trail if I stand on the roof of my car and use speaker phone to hold the handset up high.

... what ? do you call home every time you top out on climb ? :)

let me know next time your in Josh and where you'll be climbing so i can make sure and climb somewhere else. :?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook