Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

straightedgeteen

Aug 4, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #1 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Euro Death Knot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ive herd of many deaths with this knot have you?

jt512

Aug 4, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #2 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Euro Death Knot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I haven't and neither have you.

-Jay

rickoldskool

Aug 5, 2002, 6:32 AM
Post #3 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT SPREAD MISINFORMATION!
Please.

mountainmonkey

Aug 5, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A man was killed in Zion (spaceshot) a couple of months ago using a version of the euro death knot. He used the figure 8 which was wet and not fully tightened. If you are to use this knot for rapelling use an overhand with AT LEAST 18 to 24 inch tails and tidy up the knot with all the strands very tight.

check this out

http://www.supertopos.com/climbing/thread.html?m=4480&f=50&b=0

there are some good links in the middle of the thread to some testing of the knot. Read the tests to see which knot is better and its limitations if you plan to use it ever.

Casey

rocknpowda

Aug 5, 2002, 4:14 PM
Post #5 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use it all the time and I'm still here.

roclymber

Aug 5, 2002, 4:19 PM
Post #6 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the euro death knot is another name for the simple double overhand knot used in place of the double fishermans knot as a connecting knot. What was posted here earlier, was wrong for I confused two knots. From my sources (very credible) I have learned that It easily can slip out, and after a good day's climb, if it hasn't already untied itself, will be a bear to undo.

I Have NOT tried this knot out for myself. Why? Because of what people have told me in-person, I do not have enough confidence in it to save my life, if something were to happen. Don't get me wrong, it could work. But so far the double fish. has served my needs ever so perfectly.

I just needed to clarify a few things.

know your knots!

-matt

[ This Message was edited by: roclymber on 2002-08-09 18:27 ]

Partner tim

Aug 5, 2002, 4:29 PM
Post #7 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of you except for jt512 and mountainmonkey are either

1) heavily constipated,
2) trolling, or
3) sadly misinformed.

Hard numbers have been posted to corroborate the inversion strength of the EDK and to clarify why the Fig. 8 version of the knot is unsafe.

The EDK refers to a connecting double overhand knot for double-rope rappels. It have nothing to do with belaying or tie-ins.

This thread is a waste of time for both readers and writers, IMHO. Please consult the links posted by Mountainmonkey or bshaftoe for more, and more accurate, information. Thank you.

nb. Bradhill made another accurate post while I edited this to clarify. Please note that his information is also correct.

[ This Message was edited by: jabbeaux on 2002-08-05 09:34 ]

bradhill

Aug 5, 2002, 4:30 PM
Post #8 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "EDK" is a double overhand knot tied so both tails come out the same side of the knot. It is a strong, safe and accepted knot for rappells if well dressed and given long tails.

It is not a double figure eight. Although it may seem more secure, a double figure eight knot will turn over and walk under tension and is NOT an acceptable rappell knot.

The double fisherman's or barrell knot is another alternative rappell knot. It is safe and strong, but more prone to snagging than the overhand knot and much more difficult to untie after being weighted.

bshaftoe

Aug 5, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roclymber,

You are uninformed, the EDK tied with a overhand with long tails and pretensioned is a safe knot.

I know my knots, do you know yours?

http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/EDK.html

[ This Message was edited by: bshaftoe on 2002-08-05 09:32 ]

fitz

Aug 6, 2002, 11:12 PM
Post #10 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm curious, why do some myths appear again and again? Unless the cords are dramtically different thicknesses, a pre-tensioned, overhand knot with 1-2' tails is a very safe, extensively tested, rappel knot.

A double or triple fisherman's is even stronger and can use a little less rope, but it does not travel over edges as well and seems to have a supernatural ability to sniff out cracks to get stuck in.

Several safe variations of the fisherman's (ex. square knot or figure 8 in the middle) exist, but I personally think they are a waste of time. Their primary advantage is that they are easier to untie after loading. Personally, I've never had a knot I couldn't untie, but if I ever encounter one, I've got a pocket knife. On the other hand, I've had several stuck lines over the years and each has been a nerve racking, potentially dangerous, situation.

The upright 8 (a figure 8 tied with both tails pointing out the same end of the rope) is NOT a safe rappel knot. I've been told it was recommended in one of the climbing magazines (CLIMBING?) sometime in the last couple of years. Whoever made the recommendation should check the facts, then spend a month juggling cattle prods while standing naked in a bucket of ice water as pennance...

-jjf

drewcoleman

Aug 7, 2002, 2:04 AM
Post #11 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen it, what is it?

Drew

fishypete

Aug 7, 2002, 1:48 PM
Post #12 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on Fitz!! How is it that some myths just keep coming and coming and will never die???

The EDK is a safe and well accepted (at least by those who have done their research) knot for joining two ropes for a rappel. Only three things to remember: tension it well, dress it well, and leave long tails (i.e. the same rules as any knot).

For an overwhelming amount of flames and discussion on this topic, do a search on rec.climbing.

To get started, click here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=bf08f318dbe3bd11&ic=1

(this link begins with the figures already linked above by B_Shaftoe)

Can one ever hope to see the end of this thread that will never die????

Cheers

Fishy.

[ This Message was edited by: fishypete on 2002-08-07 07:03 ]

cedk

Aug 7, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #13 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's distrusted because some guy had to be a joker and name it the death knot.
If they'd named it the European Safe Knot it would be a lot more popular.

overlord

Aug 7, 2002, 3:10 PM
Post #14 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am actually a scout and can tell that the "dead-knot" is probably safer than figure-8. its other name is BOWLINE. it is easyer to untie and i have NEVER heard that it slipped. the knot for joining two ropes look the same, but the ends of ropes come out differently. hope i was helpful.

CLIMB ON

fishypete

Aug 8, 2002, 8:11 AM
Post #15 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously the scouts dont know their knots too well...

We Are Not Talking About Bowlines!!!

Please try checking out what the EDK is exactly before posting misleading information.

Fishy.

fishypete

Aug 8, 2002, 8:13 AM
Post #16 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously the scouts dont know their knots too well...

We Are Not Talking About Bowlines!!!

Please try checking out what the EDK is exactly before posting misleading information.

Fishy.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 8, 2002, 8:54 AM
Post #17 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The EDK IS THE BEST KNOT to join two ropes for a double rappel. Just be sure to have 12" tails. PERIOD !!! It is low profile, unties easily, and will not snag on a ledge, as it will always roll to the position of least resistance.

There have been NO accidents with this knot. The accident you are reffering to was not the EDK, it was a figure 8 with both ends facing the same direction.

I, and many others, including guides, use this knot exclusively.

rrrADAM

clymber

Aug 8, 2002, 12:10 PM
Post #18 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will never use the Euro Death Knot
Death and Knot NEVER need to be that close together...Just my view

theclimer

Aug 8, 2002, 12:47 PM
Post #19 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Then you are indeed missing the Better Way of tying your rap ropes together. It is only called the Euro DEATH KNOT because it looks so sketchy. It has been pull tested to at least the same strength as other knots commonly used to tie rappel ropes together. It is endorsed by the AMGA. It is easier to both tie and untie than a double fisherman's knot, and rolls over edges in exactly the same fashion that the double fisherman's doesn't.

Jesus H. Christ, this topic has been beat to death both here and elsewhere (in particular on rec.climbing). I wish people would base their opinions on fact rather than hearsay.

- Jeff

roclymber

Aug 8, 2002, 6:28 PM
Post #20 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The EDK has many names, the actual "Euro Death Knot" being only a nick. Anyone ever figure out why it is called this? that might (keyword) be the reason behind it.

I was thinking about my previous post, and confused a couple of things. ok, The EDK is not a belay knot, but I would use the double fisherman over the EDK anyday anywhere,under any circumstance

-matt

theclimer

Aug 8, 2002, 7:04 PM
Post #21 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:The EDK has many names, the actual "Euro Death Knot" being only a nick. Anyone ever figure out why it is called this? that might (keyword) be the reason behind it.

I was thinking about my previous post, and confused a couple of things. ok, The EDK is not a belay knot, but I would use the double fisherman over the EDK anyday anywhere,under any circumstance

-matt

And you're welcome to do that if you wish. The double fisherman's is a bomber knot and one that I would trust under almost any circumstance, from a strictly structural point of view. But to reiterate, the double fisherman's can and does get hung up when pulling the rope from the anchor points above. Does this make a big diffeence when you're already on the ground? No. But when you're three pitches up and a storm is blowing in, it surely would suck to have your rope get stuck in a crack or on a bush or something just because your knot is too bulky to roll its way out of a snag.

Personally, I use both knots, depending on the circumstance. It's my belief that the knot got its nickname from an uninformed onlooker who was used to doing things the double fisherman's way. Probably some old school dude who was climbing with some Euros, and it spooked him enough to name it that.

The facts stand for themselves, however, so to dismiss the use of a viable knot just because you're scared of its nickname is pretty shortsighted in my mind. If you'd rather, call it by its real name, the double overhand.

Cheers,

Jeff

mountainmonkey

Aug 8, 2002, 8:15 PM
Post #22 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can also try tying one or both of the tails with an single overhand backup. Then, if the knot were to roll, it would be blocked by the overhand stopper knot. This does make the knot slightly more bulky, but makes it safer and even looks more secure. I believe the ASCA uses this knot, but i have to double check that. Look at Petzl's website to see what they reccomend for joining two ropes for a rappel. Tests prove that with sufficient tails and a well dressed knot it is safe enough for rapelling (you will break the rope before the knot fails). However, I think every knot has its uses: use a double overhand (with or without a backup knot) if the rappel goes over an edge, otherwise use a double fishermans. I prefer to use a retied figure 8 with double fisherman backups - now that is a bomber knot that isn't hard to untie.

casey bernal

fitz

Aug 8, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #23 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you mean what I think you mean by a "double" overhand knot, I don't agree. The knot I'm thinking of consumes a lot more rope when it rolls than a basic overhand.

The issue with 1' tails on an overhand, is that there is plenty of room for the knot to roll at least three times. Each time the knot rolls, it takes more force for the next roll to occur. By three, the force is near the breaking strength of the rope.

An upright 8 _looks_ safer, but when it inverts, it consumes a lot of rope and the required force for subsequent inversions does not increase nearly as dramatically. This knot can, and has, rolled off the ends with grim consequences.

Like I said before, variations on the grapevine, like a square knot or figure 8 in the middle (which it sounds like you use) are very safe. But, a lot of epics occur because of stuck lines, so getting the lines to the next station should always be a consideration.

-jjf

pbjosh

Aug 8, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #24 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Properly tied, the EDK is arguably the best rappel knot. To tie it properly, it's a single overhand knot with both tails exiting the same side of the knot. The tails must be at least 12" long, preferably closer to 24". I like to tie a second overhand knot in the tails 8-10" from the first as a backup but this is not necessary.

The reason it's the best knot? It is the lowest profile, easiest to tie and untie (and speed is frequently the greatest asset in an emergency - keep reading) and least likely to snag in a crack, flake, bush, tree, etc.

In April my girlfriend had a horrendous lead fall (poor rock, traversing pitch, choss, bad luck all come together) half way up a remote wall in Mexico (El Milenio, IV/V 5.11b on El Gran Trono Blanco in Baja). Severely bleeding with major head trauma, disoriented and incoherant and her limbs and joints rapidly stiffening, and facing 8 double rope rappels through rope eating terrain and a several mile uphill bushwack/scramble just to get back to a car with which we could drive several hours back to a US hospital, it was no time to f*ck around, no time for stuck ropes, and no time for misinformation. I used the EDK to rappel, hanging us both from a single rap device (haul bag style) as it was the fastest way down and most importantly the LEAST LIKELY TO SNAG. That was no time or situation to have a stuck rope epic. Luckily we made it out ok and she has since recovered phenomenally well and is back out cranking hard.

So, to the uninformed/misinformed fools (and I don't use the term lightly) that are posting misinformation, I hope that you never contribute to someone else's misfortune. It's more important to be right than it is to be talkative when it comes to climbing safety. MOST IMPORTANTLY, no one and I mean no one should ever base all their beliefs on just reading but should try things out (in a safe situation), read as much as possible, think things through, ask guides and more experienced climbers and inform themselves. I had in the past tested the EDK by bouncing on it for 10 minutes while hanging from my rafters and was satisfied and had subsequently used it to rappel hundreds of times.

Anyone who isn't satisfied with it's safety should tie one and bounce on it and muck with it to their heart's content while 3' off the ground, as they should test every other aspect of climbing safety, knots, rigging, anchors, etc.

..josh

pbjosh

Aug 8, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #25 of 41 (5815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One other note - I'm not calling any individual a fool or aiming this at any one person. I just want people to think before they post and not post the crap and drivel that half this thread is full of. It's sad when the knowledgable people (and there are many on this site) have to compete and argue with the morons who are talking just to be heard about issues that can affect the safety of the people reading the thread.

..josh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook