RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

mackster

Nov 30, 2005, 3:58 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

climbing/housing in west L.A
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm from Cincinnati Ohio and am moving to L.A for an internship for three months. The job is at a design firm in Playa del rey and I'm looking for housing close to there. If anyone has a friend or knows someone with a room for rent, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm looking for info on local gyms in the area. Which one is best? closest? Anyone need a partner?

Thanks,

David

thrmaln

Nov 30, 2005, 4:58 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing/housing in west L.A [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey David,

If your going to be in LA then this will help you a lot.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiaclimbing/

Join this group and ask the same question. You will need to wait a day for the moderator to let you in or let Michelle know I recomended you when you sign up. We are a group of Safe climbers who get together as a group all the time. Most of us live in the LA area. A group of about 60 of us all got together in Jtree last weekend for some debauchery and climbing. Many went off on their own as well as we had a bunch of TR's set up for a beginners clinic. We all had a great time. There is another get together every weekend this December in Jtree as well as a new years party. The group is large enough that just about every weekend, someone has a campsite at a climbing destination. When will you be in town?

Oh, what type of design is the internship for. I am a design engineer for a custom engeneering company doing robotics and high end automation.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

thrmaln

Nov 30, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey David,

If your going to be in LA then this will help you a lot.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/californiaclimbing/

Join this group and ask the same question. You will need to wait a day for the moderator to let you in or let Michelle know I recommended you when you sign up. We are a group of Safe climbers who get together as a group all the time. Most of us live in the LA area. A group of about 60 of us all got together in Jtree last weekend for some debauchery and climbing. Many went off on their own as well as we had a bunch of TR's set up for a beginners clinic. We all had a great time. There is another get together every weekend this December in Jtree as well as a new years party. The group is large enough that just about every weekend, someone has a campsite at a climbing destination. When will you be in town? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Oh, what type of design is the internship for. I am a design engineer for a custom engineering company doing robotics and high end automation.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

mackster

Nov 30, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marc,

I appreciate the reply. I sent an application in to join the group. I'll be starting my job January 3rd. It is for a graphic design firm specializing in environmental design but also doing print and packaging. I'll be there for three months.

I've been looking for housing in Marina del Rey, El Segundo and Inglewood which would all be very close to my job. I've never climbed in California before and am looking forward to going to Joshua Tree. Thanks for your help with everything.

David

thrmaln

Nov 30, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey David,

When you get settled, get in touch with me and a group of us will drag you out climbing. There are a few girls I climb with that live in your area and maybe you can carpool or something. Or I can come get you. I assume since your from OH that you will not have a car.

If your into Trad then Jtree is the place this time of year. If your into Sport then New Jack City in Barstow, Malibu Creek State Park in Malibu and Echo Cliffs in Westlake villiage. If you want a weekend trip away then you got to go to Red Rocks in Vegas for some Trad and gambling.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

mackster

Nov 30, 2005, 6:02 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marc,

I'm looking forward to it, thanks for the invite. I have no experience with trad but would love to learn. Only problem is no rack :( I actually will have a car, so I have full mobility. A friend of mine is going to be in San Diego, so we're taking our time to get out there... hitting up bryce, arches, zion, mesa verde... some others if we get a chance. I'll definitely look you up when I get there. If you hear anything about a room for rent or a place to stay, you should pass it on my way. Thanks for everything,

David

Partner phaedrus

Nov 30, 2005, 9:03 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to US - West Coast.

Partner grovehunter

Dec 2, 2005, 8:29 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Inglewood is the hood homie!!!! You don't want to stay there! Try this instead: Manhattan beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance and yes Segundo is cool. Anything east of Avation Blvd. is not cool. That is unless you like primitive civilization? Copy That? Rent won't be cheap even renting a room, But you won't end up addicted to crack or have watch your back...

The rock gyms near this area are rockreation in Santa Monica and South Bay Rocks in Hawthorne. Rockreation is closer to your work and SBR closer to your new home. The South Bay will be your new home, Right? Take my advice on this one pal. You can thank me later. If you need more help let me know, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Peace,
Chuck

PS: If you do decide to chill in Inglewood or Lennox homie you'll be wondering, "what ever happened to the truce of Nine-Duece" :wink:

mackster

Dec 2, 2005, 8:40 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looks like i'll be looking in the south bay area... i've been trying to stay away from the crack anyhow :lol: haha. i appreciate the advice. i'll take whatever i can get. also, which rock gym is better? do you have a preference?

thanks again,

David

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook