Forums: Community: Campground:
Laramie, WY info?Other Colleges for climbing/outdoor sports?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

scrappy_greene

Dec 6, 2005, 2:47 AM
Post #1 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Laramie, WY info?Other Colleges for climbing/outdoor sports?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a sophomore in college and have an opportunity to study at one of 171 schools next year. I'm looking for a school at altitude (6000-8000 feet), with a large trail system, good academics, and good climbing and outdoor opportunites nearby (fly fishing, etc). Sunny weather is a plus (which is why I am considering Adams State, CO and Northern Arizona, but I realize you can't have it all). The University of Wyoming is probably my first choice right now. Can any residents give me info on Laramie? I know the Snowy Range is nearby. Are there good trails close to campus? How are the winters? I'll be there from August-May, so any climbing is going to essentially me during winter. Are there opportunites for this? Thanks.

frzsnow

Dec 6, 2005, 3:01 AM
Post #2 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Re: Laramie, WY info?Other Colleges for climbing/outdoor spo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colorado School of Mines is a fantastic engineering school (I'm getting my masters there right now) with mountains, rivers, trails, etc very close by and there's CU in Boulder with unlimited access to everything you could want. My brother goes to Laramie and likes it - he's always out kayaking and skiing....not to mention Vedauwoo is only 10 minutes away. Look at all the schools you're interested in and find links to their outdoor clubs - they usually have good info about the areas nearby. Good luck with your hunt!

scrappy_greene

Dec 6, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #3 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Colorado School of Mines is a fantastic engineering school (I'm getting my masters there right now) with mountains, rivers, trails, etc very close by and there's CU in Boulder with unlimited access to everything you could want. My brother goes to Laramie and likes it - he's always out kayaking and skiing....not to mention Vedauwoo is only 10 minutes away. Look at all the schools you're interested in and find links to their outdoor clubs - they usually have good info about the areas nearby. Good luck with your hunt!

I forgot to mention, I am a bio major. School of Mines is a great school from what I've heard, but it isn't one of my options. Western State and Adams State both are, however (I'm guaranteed to get into Adams).

Partner phaedrus

Dec 6, 2005, 3:48 AM
Post #4 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Community.

ecjohnson

Dec 6, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #5 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is Fort Lewis and option? don't laugh, we've got a great bio program. Seriously though, we have hundreds and hundreds of miles of the best trails in the state, in my opinion. Are you looking for good mountain biking? The climbing close by is decent, but the real goods are only a couple of hours away. Moab is 2.5 hours, Indian Creek is about the same. And people go almost every weekend when it isn't too hot that is. In the summer and fall, you've got all of the Alpine in the San Juans. Then there's Ophir Wall, and all the climbing around Telluride. Ouray has some good climbing that's being developed. And then there's Ouray's ice park in the winter if you're into that. I'll give you more details if this is an option.

climberchic

Dec 6, 2005, 5:15 AM
Post #6 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd chose Western State. Take a look at their website, it'll give you lots of great info about the area. Second choice would be Ft. Lewis if it has a good biology program. I live in the Durango area and it is top notch for everything you're asking for.

phatcat

Dec 6, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #7 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

your guy's FSAE team is pitaful, whats up with that, if its such a kickass engineering school?

piton

Dec 6, 2005, 1:50 PM
Post #8 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man U of wyo is a great choice, but i'm partial being that i'm a UW alumni. there is great fly fishing all around, vedauwoo is just 15 min plus many other areas. great bio department. tell Dr. Issiac i said hello and ask him to take you ice fishing. just bring some whisky

gene723

Dec 6, 2005, 2:59 PM
Post #9 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to UCLA. always sunny, J-tree is nearby and it's only a half hour drive to Stony Point, a decent climbing Crag.

the campus is also really beautiful and so are the girls (not kidding). they have a bunch of acquitic sports, surfing, windsurfing, sailing, crew, that you could learn (they have programs) or do with club members. Plus, they have an indoor climbing gym (really small).

the whole community is really atheletic and there's a myriad of sports to do. I think you'll love it there.

Partner angry

Dec 6, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #10 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 years at University of Wyo.

Vedauwoo is unspeakably good climbing. If you aren't a bitch, it's one of the best crags anywhere.

The mountain biking is good.

The fishing in Wyoming is good, but the best fishing is not in Laramie.

The local ski mountain is LAME, but Steamboat is a few hours away.

It's different though. There will be more drinking than you ever thought possible. It seems that nothing in Laramie gets accomplished without booze. The girls (though cute) have larger butts than normal. I never got used to that one. The fall and spring will have good climbing but winter is really cold. I'm talking 7 degrees cold. You won't be climbing much. I've hit Vedauwoo every month of the year, but sometimes it's barely worth it. The wind is crazy, and it's year round, not just a winter thing.

Man I miss that place.

Partner angry

Dec 6, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #11 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post motherfucker!!!

boulderinemt

Dec 6, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #12 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my dad went to school in laramie at wyotech...he told me if i ever thought of going to school there he would disown me...freezing cold, wind, nasty yucky weather in the winter (not like it makes a diff. it was -5 in cody today with wind) but i dunno....laramie is at that part of the state that is flat...and I-80...its the bane of my existance...on the positive, i have alot of friends that went down that way, and absolutely loved it. go with what feels right...oh yea, and the college at gunnison is very good too, from what i've heard.

airbender

Dec 6, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #13 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do you need alttitude? Sounds to me like you need to be in the south we have very mild winters. Chattanooga TN is probably the best place any climber could want to live. Trad Sport tons of bouldering plenty of virgin rock too.

infidel

Dec 6, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #14 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I graduated with a BS in Bio from NAU in Flagstaff many moons ago so I'm partial. Great program, great school, great climbing, great fishing, great weather, great mountains, great mountain biking, etc.

Do not go to school in TX.

UNC Greeley might be an option, close to Vedauwoo and the front range.

frzsnow

Dec 7, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #15 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

your guy's FSAE team is pitaful, whats up with that, if its such a kickass engineering school?

I wish I could tell you but I don't know anything about it (I'm a metallurgical engineer). I lock myself up in my lab all day and haven't had the chance to get involved with any of those teams.

petsfed

Dec 7, 2005, 7:32 AM
Post #16 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my dad went to school in laramie at wyotech...he told me if i ever thought of going to school there he would disown me...freezing cold, wind, nasty yucky weather in the winter (not like it makes a diff. it was -5 in cody today with wind) but i dunno....laramie is at that part of the state that is flat...and I-80...its the bane of my existance...on the positive, i have alot of friends that went down that way, and absolutely loved it. go with what feels right...oh yea, and the college at gunnison is very good too, from what i've heard.

Yeah, but that's wyotech. Fuckin' techers... Laramie isn't so bad, for a year or two. After that, it really starts to grate on you. The climbing though is excellent, and you're in a day's drive to tons of places. We make weekend trips to Moab plenty. The bio (especially botany) department is supposed to be especially good. Februarys tend to be nasty, although december is pretty heinous at the moment too (17 below, right now). Cody and Vail are in range for ice as well. Just when the weather goes bad, it sucks anywhere in Wyoming. You can get trapped for a day or two anywhere in the state.

piton

Dec 7, 2005, 1:49 PM
Post #17 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The bio (especially botany) department is supposed to be especially good. Februarys tend to be nasty, although december is pretty heinous at the moment too (17 below, right now). Cody and Vail are in range for ice as well. Just when the weather goes bad, it sucks anywhere in Wyoming. You can get trapped for a day or two anywhere in the state.
bio department is excellent. i received a degree in molecular bio. i was actually very impressed with all the professors at UW

mistymountainhop

Dec 7, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #18 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why is this in community?

daggerx

Dec 10, 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #19 of 19 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look into Colorado mountin college. they offer many differnt thing and locations in all the best cities in colorado like leadville which sits at 10,500' and is the highest city in the usa and has more 14ers then any other county in the usa

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook