First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zozo

Dec 3, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #1 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Martial Arts?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who else here studies the stuff? Just kind of curious. If so what type, and have you ever heard of Pentjack Silat?

squierbypetzl

Dec 3, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #2 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Re: Martial Arts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to practice tae kwon do for +8 years(made black belt and got the hell out of there) and boxing for about 3 (had to quit to keep my nose unscathed...).

I guess itīs a great way to get in shape and balance out your body and mind, and beating the pulp out of another person can be fun at times (boxing; note I said sometimes), and being able to take a punch, a kick and an kneebutt can definitely come in handy at times. But I think the greatest benefits come from obtaining a sense of discipline and the character it can help build.

Partner nostalgia

Dec 3, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shotokan for 2 years, a mix of goju-ryu and jui-jitsu for 11, a smattering of isshin-ryu, and a few months of TKD. Not a fan of the TKD. Going to try wing chun. There's a nearby school.

I've never heard of the system you posted about.

-Joe

shutupandclimb

Dec 3, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #4 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been taking hapkido for the past few years. It's very interesting to learn how the body moves (and doesn't).

Can't say I've ever heard of Pentjack Silat.

Dave

caughtinside

Dec 4, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #5 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You fools are no match for my Eagle Claw style.

boondock_saint

Dec 4, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #6 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well you do your martial arts

and I'll do my Indiana Jones ...

http://www.ares.cz/...c/picture/090100.jpg

reno

Dec 4, 2005, 1:34 AM
Post #7 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we start kung fu fighting, do we have to type in voice overs?

rufusandcompany

Dec 4, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #8 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forget martial arts. Just learn to run like Crazy Ivan, and no one would ever catch you.

htotsu

Dec 4, 2005, 4:35 AM
Post #9 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shotokan karate here. M.A. training is great for improving mental focus. Also, it does wonders for perception and reaction time (nothing like a fist coming toward your face to hasten that process...).

I did a search for the style you mentioned - from what I saw it's Indonesian. Are you thinking about studying it?

kunzie

Dec 4, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #10 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did Tae Kwon Do on and off for a total of 5 years;
Went back to it last week and I'm grading again on the 14th, I love it to bits, especially the fighting. Recommend it, but like most others, haven't heard of the style you posted

zozo

Dec 4, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #11 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I did a search for the style you mentioned - from what I saw it's Indonesian. Are you thinking about studying it?

We did some last night in a self defense class. It was apparently developed for beach fighting, on sand, that kind of thing which I thought was very cool. Seems like very nasty stuff. If someone throws a punch and you use this on them they will have two or three broken bones before they even hit the ground.

It uses alot of Brazillian JuJitsu type stuff but it does'nt stop at the submission, it keeps going till things snap.

htotsu

Dec 4, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It was apparently developed for beach fighting, on sand,
Cooooool. Never would have thought of that - I love hearing some of the more practical ways things develop.
In reply to:
it does'nt stop at the submission, it keeps going till things snap.
YEETCH. My brother, who trains in Jeet Kune Do, told me a while back (before I began any formal training of my own) that I need to get over that whole "YEETCH" reflex. If someone is set on trying to harm me, I need to do what I gotta do. Eyes? Scratch 'em. Knees? Kick 'em. Elbows? Break 'em. And then get the hell outta there. Women especially need to get past the squeam aspect of disabling an opponent because the attacker isn't YEETCHing about a damn thing.

And I'm getting there. God forbid I ever need to, but in a life or possible death situation I do believe I'd be willing to get a little eye under my fingernails. (It'll come out with a little club soda).

But just now I wasn't ready for that line about 'keeps going until things snap', and the YEETCH came back. Just for a second, though. OK, carry on.

rufusandcompany

Dec 4, 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #13 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?

blondgecko

Dec 5, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #14 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did some for a couple of years, back in high school. Was taught by one of the cooler teachers there, who had put together his own blend of kickboxing and karate.

My sense of balance was pretty ordinary before I started... improved out of sight within a few months.

Partner tradman

Dec 5, 2005, 9:40 AM
Post #15 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a style of kung fu (note: kung fu doesn't really mean anything, it's just a kind of generic expression for studying and hard work) called Chuan Shu for a few years when I was younger. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty heavy contact, with a lot of stamping and elbows.

I tried tae kwon do after I moved out of the city where the chuan shu school was, but I got very frustrated, especially in competitions - rules about semi-contact, no kicking below the belt, no elbows to the head and stuff like that meant I got a lot of penalties against me because I just wasn't used to thinking soft fluffy thoughts when fighting. :(

I think what irritated me more than anything else was the fact that I couldn't capitalise on hurting my opponent - in points-based fighting, every time you hit the guy good, he gets a break to recover. In the full contact I was used to, landing a good shot meant an opportunity to follow up and finish.

Ah well.

Oh yeah, after all that I went with a mate of mine to a school which taught pankratos and sambo wrestling styles. BLOODY HELL! What a bunch of wild animals! That was great fun, but those guys lived to hurt one another!

:lol:

davidji

Dec 5, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #16 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm number 4: Lizard Style.

I wish. Good style for a climber, if it were real. Anybody see The Five Deadly Venoms?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077559/
http://www.flyingninjaproductions.com/pages/staff.htm

htotsu

Dec 6, 2005, 3:33 AM
Post #17 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm number 4: Lizard Style.

I wish. Good style for a climber, if it were real. Anybody see The Five Deadly Venoms?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077559/
http://www.flyingninjaproductions.com/pages/staff.htm
I OWN it, my man! A classic - I learned that it's good to be a toad. Well, most of the time... barring medieval torture devices.

davidji

Dec 6, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #18 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A classic - I learned that it's good to be a toad.
So you're number 5? Toad was pretty tough. I'd fear you. Lucky for me Toad & Lizard were friends!

Those guys were good in Invincible Shaolin too.

htotsu

Dec 6, 2005, 7:56 AM
Post #19 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So you're number 5? Toad was pretty tough. I'd fear you. Lucky for me Toad & Lizard were friends!

Those guys were good in Invincible Shaolin too.
The thread is now officially open to those who have not necessarily studied martial arts, but are fans of seeing it on film. And yes, Reno, you do have to type in the voiceovers. ;)

Davidji, I don't have that one, but I'll watch for it. :) Ever see Shaolin Versus Ninja? That was fun.

You know, my older brother and I used to watch that kind of stuff on Saturday afternoons, and then proceed to knock things over pretending to do the moves (with sound effects, of course). Ah, good times. Those movies definitely informed my decision to train in the martial arts as an adult. (I hardly even knock things over anymore.)

overlord

Dec 6, 2005, 8:33 AM
Post #20 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about this... this is another classic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240468/

dough

Dec 6, 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #21 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Martial arts are mostly bullshit, I mean put Chuck Norris in with this guy:
http://www.dangable.com/...ted_ps/dan_medal.jpg
And Mr Norris would would be hard pressed extracting his arms and legs out of his ass.

htotsu

Dec 6, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #22 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Martial arts are mostly s---, I mean put Chuck Norris in with this guy:
And Mr Norris would would be hard pressed extracting his arms and legs out of his ass.
So... martial arts are mostly bullshit, therefore Dan Gable, the wrestler in the photo, could kick Chuck Norris' ass.

Uhm, on what planet is Walker Texas Ranger equated with all of martial arts?

If you mean martial arts actors or martial arts movies are mostly bullshit then say so. But seriously, go take a formal logic class or something. It's super nice that you admire Dan Gable so much, but all you did with your statement is show how little you know about martial arts. Do you know ANYTHING about M.A. outside of the clips of Walker Texas Ranger on Conan O'Brian? Honestly.

Numerous martial arts incorporate grappling, which you obviously didn't know. To suggest that no martial artist could compete with a wrestler just because you have a poster of this one on your ceiling is simply uninformed. Don't let your admiration blind you. Also, there's something called Mixed Martial Arts that you should maybe look into in this regard.

And incidentally, it's pretty tough to pin someone to the floor in a wrestling move if you've just taken a spinning kick to the head. Can it be done? Well, depends on the kicker and the kickee. But the point is all fighting styles have their strengths, and are worthy of respect. Maybe you should learn more about the other ones before you decide that everything is inferior to wrestling.

zozo

Dec 6, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #23 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why? Does this guy have a proclivity for sticking things up guys butts?

htotsu

Dec 6, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #24 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Martial arts are mostly s---, I mean put Chuck Norris in with this guy:
So... martial arts are mostly bullshit, therefore Dan Gable, the wrestler in the photo, could kick Chuck Norris' ass.

Uhm, on what planet is Walker Texas Ranger equated with all of martial arts?

If you mean martial arts actors or martial arts movies are mostly bullshit then say so. But seriously, go take a formal logic class or something. It's super nice that you admire Dan Gable so much, but all you did with your statement is show how little you know about martial arts. Do you know ANYTHING about M.A. outside of the clips of Walker Texas Ranger on Conan O'Brian? Honestly.

Numerous martial arts incorporate grappling, which you obviously didn't know. To suggest that no martial artist could compete with a wrestler just because you have a poster of this one on your ceiling is simply uninformed. Don't let your admiration blind you. Also, there's something called Mixed Martial Arts that you should maybe look into in this regard.

And incidentally, it's pretty tough to pin someone to the floor in a wrestling move if you've just taken a spinning kick to the head. Can it be done? Well, depends on the kicker and the kickee. But the point is all fighting styles have their strengths, and are worthy of respect. Maybe you should learn more about the other ones before you decide that everything is inferior to wrestling.

dough

Dec 6, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #25 of 42 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My point is that a well schooled grappler will take down and dominate any, ANY well schooled striker 19 times out of twenty. I was facetious when I used Mr Norris as an example. Wrestlers are performance oriented athletes, they are tested in actual combat on a regular basis.
Most "martial arts" ( boxing, judo, wrestling and to an extent jujitsu excepted ) deal with form and fantasy.
A spinning back kick against a good grappler? Lights out.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook