RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

rock_climbin_06

Aug 9, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #1 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Slacklining Practice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a question for my fellow climbers. I need to practice slacklining and the only spot I found that I can practice on is in between my 2 trees in my front yard. The trees are about 20-25 feet apart and I have plenty of webbing to get the job done. My only problem is that I cant get the webbing to become tight enough so it won't stretch down to the ground. I'm not sure how to make the webbing any tighter and if you can point me in the direction of a good website about the topic or just give me some advice that would be appreciated and if you need to move this to the beginners its fine with me. Thanks for all the help guys! Maybe one day I'll see a fellow climber at the Indian Cave Gap! Thanks again!
-Adam

[ This Message was edited by: rock_climbin_06 on 2002-08-08 20:35 ]

krustyklimber

Aug 9, 2002, 3:50 AM
Post #2 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Slacklining Practice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First check out http://www.slackline.com/ these guys more than cover everything you need to know.
You will probably want to use the "primative method for your line.

PM me if you need any help.

Jeff

ponyryan

Aug 9, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #3 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.slackline.com

EDIT: sorry, krusty beat me, but I tried

[ This Message was edited by: ponyryan on 2002-08-08 20:53 ]

rock_climbin_06

Aug 9, 2002, 4:10 AM
Post #4 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help guys!
-Adam

cragmyre

Aug 9, 2002, 4:26 AM
Post #5 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try using a tourniquette type action with an old broom handle or something. Get it as tight as you can, then tie the handle to the tree so it don't spin out.
Same as the actual first aid method
If this don't get it tight enough, then nothing will.
The longer the stick the better for laverage, but be careful not to twist so much as to snap the webbing

beyond_gravity

Aug 9, 2002, 3:28 PM
Post #6 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your not going to snap the webbing, that I can asure you!

krustyklimber

Aug 9, 2002, 5:42 PM
Post #7 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And don't forget tree "friendlies" you don't want to kill the trees.
Do not girth hitch the tree! Instead tie a seperate piece of webbing around each tree and hitch and clip into these slings (which will be stuffed with tree friendlies).
This will help to keep the line laying horzontal, make sure there are no twists in the line (for this reason I would avoid tourniquet style tightening systems).
If you cannot get the primative system to work add a couple more 'biners at each end.

We went over all of this very well (if I say so myself) here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=11964&forum=32
go take a look and like I said before, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Search around a little you may find more threads with something to do with slacklines... try elcapbuzz' profile and click on "messages posted by" he is our most expert slackliner and has written much on the subject

Jeff

metoliusmunchkin

Aug 9, 2002, 5:49 PM
Post #8 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who moved this to 'Community'?

beyond_gravity

Aug 9, 2002, 6:13 PM
Post #9 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are suppost to post slackline questions in community. I however am strongly in favor of a slacklining forum, and will continue to post slacklining stuff in the Genral forum and encourage others too as well as I believe that slacklining IS part of climbing and that there is no reason to keep slacklining questions off the front page.

rock_climbin_06

Aug 10, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #10 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well since this is in my front yard I'm not too worried about tree friendly's. Its a tough tree! All we had to do is tie a knot at one end of the webbing and put a biner through it. We did the same thing on each side and since my dad cut our webbing short for a TR we had just enough for it to be REALLY tight. Thanks for the links though. That helped quite a bit! Now I just got to do it again tomorrow and hope it works.
-Adam
Edit: Idiot spelling error!

[ This Message was edited by: rock_climbin_06 on 2002-08-09 21:56 ]

rock_climbin_06

Aug 10, 2002, 4:55 AM
Post #11 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well since I feel stupid enough for asking this much about slack lining, I have one more "simple" question. What would you do to practice getting your balance down? Should we try out to stand right away with my dad giving me a hand to get up and slowly letting go, laying on our backs on the webbing, or even just sitting on it? We've tried all of those and our balance is slowly getting better! Rock on and thanks for the help!
-Adam

krustyklimber

Aug 10, 2002, 5:18 AM
Post #12 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adam,

Two things...

First, how many years experience do you have working with trees? Myself I have been working off and on as an arborist (that's a guy who takes care of sick or dead trees) for over 15 yrs, I know what will kill a tree!

Second, you are probably tough too, but if I were to tie a piece of webbing around your arm real tight it would eventually die and would need to be cut off. This is exactly what would happen when you stop the trees circulation (which all happens in a very thin layer between the bark and the last years growth).
Your dad will not be pleased when the trees are dead... I wish I lived in your neighborhood, you could tell your dad you know a guy from the site who won't charge him the full price of as much as $2,500 apiece to remove the trees after you have strangled them to death.

Not to get on your case, but you are mistaken about the resiliance of the trees, and as one who takes a lot a flack for cutting down trees (even though they "don't look sick"), the senseless killing of trees really bothers me... PLEASE DON'T HURT DAD"S TREES!?!

Thanks,

Jeff

Partner jules

Dec 15, 2002, 2:03 AM
Post #13 of 13 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[small]This topic was moved to the Slacklining forum by juliana[/small]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook