Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alpinestar

Nov 29, 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #1 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Clipper leash bolt on Aztars.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,

I want to modify mo Aztars with a clip system, my axes have the bolt hole, but not the bolts.

Can I just go into a ordinary hardware store and get some bolts that would fit? Or are they extra strong, spcially made for the job??

Thinking of getting the cklips from these guys: http://www.raveltik.cz/ Found here: (http://frontpoint-sport.com)

osu_trad_man

Nov 29, 2005, 2:06 PM
Post #2 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Re: Clipper leash bolt on Aztars. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not just get the Charlet Moser clipper leash that's made to work with them?

alpinestar

Nov 29, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #3 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did think about that but tried a friends Quark, and did not really enjoy them, plus they are very very expensive. About 130 $ here in Denmark!

tallnik

Nov 29, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Raveltik clip system rocks.

I much prefer it to the Charlet Moser system, which I found too fiddly...

And it's cheap.

Nik

olympicmtnboy

Dec 6, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see why you couldn't use a hardware store bolt if you can find the right one. Most clip leashes are only rates for 2kn anyways, that bolt is body weight only. You just have to figure out how to keep the bolt sticking out on the leash side a little so you can slide the keyhole clip part over the head of the bolt and onto the shaft.

I just got a pair of the Raveltik Demon Super Cups off ebay and their clip leashes are pretty nice. Basically a copy of the BD android, but without the little thing that holds the leash down on the shaft closer to the handle. This means the clip is a little more out of reach when unclipped from the axe and dangling off your wrist, but you can learn. It also means you can switch grips and use your axe to plunge without having to unclip, something you can't do with the BD version.

The bolt on those tools has a flathead screw on the leash side, and a small hex bolt on the other side. I don't have a hex wrench small enough to take it off in my apartment, but I image the hex bolt screws into a female socket on the other piece indside the axe, and this holds the leash side bolt sticking out a bit. I'm not sure if I explained that well. You can probably just get a bolt from Charlet Moser or Raveltik too.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a pair of the Boxer replacement spikes for the those tools. Wanna order me a pair from a shop over there and send em to the US?
- OMB

alpinestar

Dec 7, 2005, 9:24 AM
Post #6 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a friend calculating the load on the bolt, so now it is just a matter of finding one :)

Here is a web-shop a frien of mine is running, he sell the Raveltik axes:
http://frontpoint-sport.com/frontshop/index.php?language=en&osCsid=e3e7ec1f36cfaa7799bc568fe315e701

The blades are not there yet, but he has some extra lying around!
mail him on info@frontpoint-sport.com

4togo

Dec 7, 2005, 9:41 AM
Post #7 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: I want some Demon Super Cups! Where can I find information about them in English? Or at least an idea of what they go for price-wise and the features? Are they certified by any testing bodies..? What do you think of yours, olympicmtnboy?

Searching e-bay as we speak... but it would be nice to know what they usually retail for if I'm going to be bidding on them.

4togo

Dec 7, 2005, 9:45 AM
Post #8 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nevermind, I just followed the front-point link, and that is in English. Although, I still wonder what anyone who's used them thinks... in particular, how's the grip compare to, say, a CM Aztar? I have small hands...

alpinestar

Dec 7, 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #9 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a test here:

http://www.iceclimbing.at/default.asp?dir=/0014840

But only in German!

I havent climbed with them, only had them in my hands. They are really nice, the quality is top notch! And the all black look is awsome. 8^)

skinner

Dec 7, 2005, 8:57 PM
Post #10 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hrmm, posted this once, never showed up..yet

So again..

I modified my Simond Naja's

http://www.mountainweb.com/...simondnaja_large.jpg

so they would take a BD Viper Andriod Leash,

http://www.bdel.com/...37_viper_android.jpg

Primarily because I really like the BD leash on all my ice tools

I wanted to use the same bolt as BD uses, but finding one at the local hardware store.. that was long enough for the Naja's was impossible. I got lucky and happened to be doing a job at a shop that repairs electric wheelchairs, and found the exact bolt and it was double the length I needed. I cut them to the length for the Naja's as well as for my 3rd tool and alpine axe. Now all my tools take the same bolt/wrench which shrank the size of my spare parts kit down to practically nothing.

I am not sure what clip system you want to use, but if you choose BD or one with the same size bolt, I can certainly supply you with some of the original type of bolts that will definitely be long enough.

Partner euroford

Dec 7, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #11 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitly think the bd leashes are about the best out there, and easily adapted to about any tool. if you have trouble finding bolts go check out hobbie stores that carry stuff for nitro powered radio controlled cars. you'll find a huge selection of high quality small fasteners.

olympicmtnboy

Dec 8, 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #12 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinestar, is your friend Anders? I bought my tools from him on e-bay. He's been great, but he isn't answering my emails regarding the Boxers. You can order than from the webshop at iceclimbing.at but they didn't respond to my english email and I'm guessing won't ship to the USA. I'm looking for someone who might order and forward them for me in the EU.

I'll get the calipers out tonight and measure the size of the bolt and clip on the raveltik leashes if that helps.

4togo, I'm not sure where you could buy the tools now except frontpointsport.com. acmeclimbing.com sold them for a while but doesn't now. Lots of czech online stores have em, but that's not much help unless you're going over there. Check out that review at iceclimbing.at with a translator like babelfish.altavista.com, there was also a review on a UK site somewhere, and maybe one on neice.com somewhere. The company has an english site too, www.raveltik.cz.

I'm going out to try mine on Friday, but they look pretty nice holding em. I think the grip is pretty close in size to the CM tools, not as big as the BD Cobra, but not super small. I think it's easy to hold onto and my hands are medium sized. Really they're basically a copy of the CM Quark.

4togo

Dec 8, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #13 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It appears that I can get them shipped to the US for $25 if I procure them on e-bay. I've bid, but I am now second-guessing myself a bit because of how similar they are to the Quark...might be for ice steeper than I can handle, yet. We'll see!

alpinestar

Dec 8, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #14 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olympicmtnboy: Yeah Anders is a good friend of mine! :D
Try e-mailing him again. Boxers, I am not really sure what you are talking about :?:

Got the laches a few days ago, so now I need to take the axes and the lashes to a hardware store to get some bolts for them :)

Rjukan here we come...

tallnik

Dec 8, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #15 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my Raveltik Super Demon Cups through www.iceclimbing.at, but speak German, and so was able to arrange for stuff to be shipped. I originally had them shipped to me in Austria this summer, but the boxers they shipped to me here in N. America. The trick is figuring out the international payment with them.

Also, maybe find someone who can translate an email into german/decipher replies, as I don't know how their english is at www.iceclimbing.at

If someone pm's me asap about ordering stuff, I might be willing to pick up some boxers when I go to Austria, (you pay cost, and shipping to my austrian address, as well as postage when I return to N. America)

I've been swinging my Super Demons into some fat ice the last couple days, and been enjoying them immensely. They stick a little too solid sometimes, but that could be me overswinging right now. Great for mixed as well.

cheers,
Nik

olympicmtnboy

Dec 8, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #16 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks Tallnik, I just got an email from Anders at frontpointsport.com and he is getting some boxers in next week, so after bugging him for several weeks he's gonna get me a pair. Maybe he saw this thread? Hehehe. He can take paypal too. Glad to hear you're having fun with them. I'm taking mine out in the Cascades tomorrow to play with. I'm stoked!

4togo, that just means you'll have to start climbing steeper ice! Nah, in my limited experience, things like the Quark and the BD Viper can be decent all around tools, that give you the option to play around leashless (although not the same as a true leashless tool). They really don't plunge that poorly for alpine either, if the snow is too hard to plunge in, go dagger style. The leashes on the Demons actually let you hold the head of the axe too and it seems pretty comfortable for cane style too.

Alpinestar, good luck, have fun with your new clipper leashes on the Aztars, sorry to hijack your thread. ;-)

4togo

Dec 11, 2005, 5:49 AM
Post #17 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to clear up.. and continue the hijack... which leashes do you have that let you grip the head of the axe? Looked to me like the clippers wouldn't?

Edited to say: Derrrrrn it... I'm doing a good job of asking stupid questions on this thread, sorry; obviously someone posted earlier that the clippers DO let you use the axe for plunging. Disregard!

olympicmtnboy

Dec 12, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #18 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4togo, no problem, the answer is: it depends. Some clipper leashes, such as the BD android, are attached to the shaft further down than others, meaning it works fine as a leash for climbing, but is too short to reach the top of the tool when clipped so you must unclip to plunge. Other leashes, such as the Raveltik clipper are longer and can do both, but this leaves a longer tail attached to your glove when unclipped from the tool. This can get in the way a bit. It's a give or take, but look at where the leash attaches to the tool and you can probably figure it out. If I weren't lazy I'd find some pictures. :-)

4togo

Dec 12, 2005, 2:28 AM
Post #19 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking specifically of the android, I had the opportunity to play with a friend's this weekend and the first thing I noticed was that they offered relatively little range of motion/grip/whatever.

With that said.. I have found pictures of the Raveltik leashes, and the Raveltik axes, but none of them both together. Thus this confusion ;)

We'll see; if I win the pair I'm bidding on, you won't need to send pics! Thanks for the input!

alpinestar

Dec 12, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #20 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olympicmtnboy:

No problem!! Still havent been looking for bolts to my aztars, will post pic when I get it set up.

alpinestar

Dec 15, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #21 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So finally got the lashes set up! Seems to work really sweet!

The bolt:
http://www.sloper.dk/cpg/albums/userpics/IMG_5833.jpg

The clippers:
http://www.sloper.dk/cpg/albums/userpics/IMG_5842.jpg
http://www.sloper.dk/cpg/albums/userpics/IMG_5845.jpg

So now I just need to chop off the excess piece of bolt sticking out..

edit: if i use the img button the pics are just red crosses...odd!!

travelin_light

Dec 15, 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #22 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looks like a good set up, i have the same tools and would like to do the same thing. i just wonder if it weakens the tool any. does everything still feel the same?

gunkiemike

Dec 15, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #23 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How can it weaken it if the hole is already there?

alpinestar

Dec 16, 2005, 8:59 AM
Post #24 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah as travelin_light wrote the holes in the axe is already there. Petzl sells their own lash system with the bolts, so it is designed for this use.

Yeah seems to work sweet with gloves, now all i need is some ICE :D

travelin_light

Dec 20, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #25 of 26 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:oops: whoops, your right. never noticed the holes. carry on.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook