RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

builttospill

Dec 12, 2005, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Voile Splitboard bindings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I currently use Trango S EVO GTX boots for most of my alpine style stuff. They're lighter weight boots, kind of a cross between backpacking and mountaineering boots, but I prefer the lighter weight. I also don't climb vertical ice, so the stiffness of my boots is less a concern for me at this point.

I also am in the process of purchasing and setting up a Voile splitboard for use in the Wasatch. Now, I was hoping I could use these boots with it, but since they don't have a toe/front welt, the bindings that Voile designs for these types of boots won't work. I've talked to the customer support guys, and they recommended that I move up to a beefier boot. He said he uses the Scarpa Inverno and has a friend who uses something similar and they work great with their bindings.

I mainly do snow climbs in the Wasatch and some alpine rock. I may be doing a bit more in the Uintas and Tetons in the future, so that kind of gives you an idea of my uses. I'm mostly looking for the splitboard to do two things:
1. Give me access to alpine climbing terrain that otherwise I'd have to use snowshoes for.
2. Find powder in the wasatch backcountry.

I don't really want to drop a bunch of money on boots. Anyone have any suggestions for boots that would still work but would still be fairly lightweight? The Inverno's seemed a bit beefy for me to be honest, but I suppose if I can find the right I'd be alright with it. Any suggestions?

tallnik

Dec 12, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Re: Voile Splitboard bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't you find some used bindings that would work with your boots. I thought you could mount any binding type on (except step in obviously)

Nik

statusfreejoy

Dec 12, 2005, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for what it's worth:

I have never used a splitboard and am not familiar with the Voile setup, but...

I've worn Scarpa Invernos on a month long AK mountaineering expedition and they were fantastic, a bit heavy but very comfortable, super warm, durable... and I managed to hike miles and miles on shitty moraine with no problem before getting to the snow and ice.

Also, I've snowboarded backcountry powder with both stiff plastic boots and softer, lighter boots, and I would much prefer riding in a stiffer boot...especially in steep powder.

good luck with your setup...sounds rad...

Partner tim

Dec 12, 2005, 9:40 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They're lighter weight boots, kind of a cross between backpacking and mountaineering boots, but I prefer the lighter weight. I also don't climb vertical ice, so the stiffness of my boots is less a concern for me at this point.

Dude, you're going to freeze your toes on any sort of an extended tour with those boots. I have a pair. They're great boots. They're not what you want to be touring in if you believe "pack it in, pack it out" applies to your toes.

A good pair of AT boots will climb ice pretty well (I would guess that you'd need more flex in the ankles for WI5 and up, but that's just my preference), will keep your toes warm, and will wear like pig iron. Plus you can use the Mountain Plates or the slightly heavier, stiffer Bomber split plates instead of packing an additional 3 pounds of strap bindings (baarf).

In reply to:
I'm mostly looking for the splitboard to do two things:
1. Give me access to alpine climbing terrain that otherwise I'd have to use snowshoes for.
2. Find powder in the wasatch backcountry.

Noble goals, mankind's highest calling. Do what Stephen Koch* does -- get yourself a pair of cheap old AT boots and use them for the climbing part. If your foot fits the Garmont last, I see GSM's on eBay all the time for $100-200. Much cheaper than amputated blackened toes.

(* yes, I know he prefers a solid board to go with his AT boots.)

Get a cheap pair of AT boots (or if you must, very stiff mountaineering boots -- the Invernos are probably the best choice in that respect). Don't try to cram a square peg into a round hole. Trust me on this, please.

The Voile guys are straight-up honest people and they're not trying to sell you boots (they don't make boots!). They're looking out for you. Really.

Get some practice at a resort or on mellow slopes with this sort of hard-boot setup before you try dropping a 50 degree chute, though. :-)

Partner tim

Dec 12, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can't you find some used bindings that would work with your boots. I thought you could mount any binding type on (except step in obviously)

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD!

He says he wants to go fast to alpine rock routes and surf powder. Going fast means going light, and a plate binding is as light as it gets. Plus, the kind of boots you use with a plate binding are capable enough to climb up to the point where you need to put on climbing rubber anyhow.

At the end of the day, there is a huge bias towards hard boots for this type of application simply because they work. Soft snowboard botos don't climb for shit, and his Trangos are not going to be warm or supportive enough to ride in. I don't think I'd be able to ride even in Flow bindings with the Trango S Evo, and those are about as cush (and heavy) as they come. So that leaves either AT or mountaineering boots, and then it comes down to a matter of whether you're more about the riding or the climbing.

Can't help with that decision -- I have trouble with it myself ;-).

There's a bunch of miscreants on splitboard.com who have hashed this sort of question over a few times... might want to drop in there sometime.

builttospill

Dec 12, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't think about the weight difference between plate bindings and strap bindings.

Of course, my boots right now are not ideal, but I've never been cold in them. But I'm also always moving. Any time I'm not, I would get cold.

Alright, I will keep my eyes out for the Invernos. Right now my main purpose is the climbing. To be honest, I'm not picky about my riding. My setup for my resort board is total crap, a 154 Ride board with a few years of abuse on it, some stepins and older boots. The board is short and was used when I bought it 3-4 years ago. So, like I said, the riding setup doesn't matter as much, because anything will be better than what I ride in bounds.

Damn boots are expensive though.

builttospill

Dec 12, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tim,
for what it's worth, I won't be dropping into steep narrow chutes anyway. Probably mostly wide open faces and powder fields. I'm not proficient enough to trust my life to my steep and narrow boarding abilities.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook