RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

bikerecker

Dec 10, 2005, 4:10 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Arkansas: HCR or Jamestown
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We will be in Little Rock over the Holidays for 1-2 weeks.
I am a sport climber (5.10 or so), climb with my teenage boys (5.10 as well). Looks like Jamestown is being developed, so my question: should we hit HCR again, like we have the last few Holidays, or head up to Batesville for some new stuff? Our HCR experience has been limited to N 40, so there is a lot of new ground for us to explore in both places. Thanks
Greg

hedgehawg

Dec 11, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Re: Arkansas: HCR or Jamestown [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jamestown doesn't half 1/4 the climbing that is located at HCR. Don't get me wrong, the routes are great at both, but you will have a lot more to choose from at HCR. If you have only climbed one part of HCR, you are missing out on quiet a bit.
Jamestown is closer to LR, but also harder to access and unless you know your way around, it may be hard to find what you are looking for. No real guide book is available for it yet.
Enjoy.

jamaica

Dec 13, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to both a million times and love them both with all my heart and my response to you is F%*K the North Forty. Don't get me wrong, the north 40 is great but to many it is the only thing many hcr visitors have ever seen or climbed. There is so much at HCR it's unbelieveable. Go back but keep the policy of not resorting to the N40. I've been to HCR well over a hundred times and find something new every time when I go back because of that policy. Since it is winter and the undergrowth has gone, check out the Confeferate Cracks, Crackhouse ally, and Proficy Wall, these three are really great and rarely visited and will keep you entertained for years. and of course, make your way across the canyon if you like faces. but, once in a while I get back and do the Scampi on the N40, I just love that overclimbed climb.

Jamestown - Now that's an amazing place too and I'd probably say it's my favorite place to climb the solitude is great and the climbs are incredible, especially if you can climb 5.10 or better. Definitely some great stone. BUT...I'm a local and really know the area, like hedgehowg said, there's not a guide book and the road is a major pain in the ass.

good hunting
Jamaica 8^)

talons05

Dec 13, 2005, 6:27 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were you I would head over to the Far East and the Roman wall (HCR). Several classic lines that would be great for you and your boys:

Orange crush - 5.9 arete (sport), one of the tallest in the canyon. This route is a must do and provides one of the best views in the state. (Far East)

Commotus - 5.10 (sport), a beautiful climb, great access for TRs in the area.

There are several other great, fun climbs in the 5.8-5.12 range on this side of the canyon. In my experience, these areas are less crowded than the North Forty.

Also, for another very unique climbing experience, hunt down the titanic boulder. There are some very cool moderate bolted routes on this quirky feature.

Hope the weather's nice for your trip.

Cheers,

A.W.

bikerecker

Dec 15, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate the thorough replies. I am going to go to both places, more than likely, which neatly solves the dilemma. Some Memphis folks have graciously offered to shepherd us around Jamestown, and we will hit HCR for at least two days if we can get a cabin up there and the weather holds.

Thanks for the help!

talons05

Dec 15, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should get a cabin either way, good weather or no. It's an awesome place to get away and their winter rates even I can afford!

Have a safe trip.

Cheers,

A.W.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook