RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

watchme

Dec 15, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #1 of 4 (840 views)
Shortcut

Ice climbing/winter sports near Santa Barbara
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a long shot I know...

I know that technically I should be asking for partners in this forum, so I’ll phrase my question this way: If I end up moving to Santa Barbara, is there anyone (or really, anyplace) to swing some tools or make some turns with without flying to Salt Lake or driving to Lee Vining? Or, should I just sell my skis and ice gear and just go cragging and ride bikes?

Also, how is life there in SB? When people tell me it is expensive, how expensive? If I made $50,000 (teacher’s salary), would I be living on the streets?

Any and all comments would be appreciated regarding life/lifestyle in SB. Including, of course, offers to go climbing with me. I’m a pretty easy-going, mellow, kinda guy.

mountainchick82

Dec 15, 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (840 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice climbing/winter sports near Santa Barbara [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you made $50k (depending on other financial commitments) you'd be looking at paying $700-$1000 for a studio or one bedroom apartment.

I think its pretty expensive up there, and I don't know if you would be looking for a roommate or not. I know you could probably go to the Sierras around Fresno for some snow sports. There's Mammoth for Skiing/Snowboarding but thats 8 hours away for you.

I don't know where you are now, but if you like the beach then SB is for you. You're just farther from the mountains.

roy_hinkley_jr

Dec 15, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #3 of 4 (840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 8 hours to the nearest decent skiing or ice. Not a place for winter sports. But only 4 hours to JT. Decent little crags nearby but nothing great. Tons of fantastic road biking and quite a bit of good mtn biking. The scuba diving off the Channel Islands is world class and not to be missed. Sea kayaking out there is fun too. Surfing is okay but the locals are a surly bunch. And yes, it's an expensive place. But at least they have Trader Joe's so you can eat/drink well for cheap.

Overall, SB is a great place...but not if you're really into the mountains.

thrmaln

Dec 15, 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 4 (840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,

Santa Barbara is a very nice place for the weather, but it is insanely expensive to live there. I heard somewhere that Santa Barbara County had the highest cost of living in California. Not what you want to here I imagine. You could commute from Buelton or Santa Ynez, but they are expensive too. I have friends who commute from Ventura and Ojai because they cannot afford to live near their work.

Do you already have a job offer in SB which is why you are asking? Or is it just a place you are interested in?

Also, being on the coast off the 101 freeway, you are kind of isolated from the closest snow. Regardless of where you go, you need to go out of your way and double back to get to a ski area. But who cares, you get to live in SB. I see you are from Wyoming anyway so compared to what you are use to, the skiing will be disappointing unless you go to Mammoth or Tahoe. If you just want some snow, then I think Pine Mountain club is your closest at about 45 min away.

If you make it to SB, drop me a PM and I can put you in touch with some climbers in the Ventura area. You will undoubtedly find local SB climbers on here as well.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook