Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jeapord

Dec 17, 2005, 4:01 PM
Post #1 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Your First Climbing Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How long did you climb before you tore a tendon or broke a bone? What happened? If not how long have you been climbing without an injury?

clayman

Dec 17, 2005, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Re: Your First Climbing Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never (knock on fake wood) injured (beyond small cuts and scrapes) myself while climbing. Been climbing since 94ish and leading since 99ish. Skiing on the other hand....

cl

clymber

Dec 17, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #3 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was climbing about 7 years and jacked up the tendon pulley on my middle finger left hand...was in austing at rhimers ranch trying a 12c i think.....heard and felt it pop cryed like a baby got lowered and then taped the middle finger to my ring finger anf tried it again.....dumb dumb dumb ...shold have sat out the rest of the day but noooooo have to try to be the big tough man....

chossmonkey

Dec 17, 2005, 6:26 PM
Post #4 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do feelings count?

chrisparedes

Dec 17, 2005, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got HORRIBLE rope burn on the back of my left knee taking a big whipper. Took nearly 5 weeks to heal and hurt like hell. That was my first big injury.

musicman1586

Dec 17, 2005, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all honesty, if you take care of yourself, you really never should hurt a tendon seriously. Just follow two simple rules A) don't push yourself well beyond what your able of doing B) if your hurt, don't climb, just take some time to heal, it's not worth it to risk what you could be risking, which is never being able to climb again at the extreme end of things. I use to bike race, and I was stupid and kept pushing myself, and now I'm lucky to still have full mobility of my right leg, I got off lucky and I just have a pain that randomly hits me when I'm walking. Just take care of yourself, accidents happen, but as I've come to see, alto of climbers (do note that I'm surrounded by 18-22 year old college guys) I could say to a point just don't even care about how their tearing their muscles, and it's a sad thing to watch, because some of those people might end up deeply regretting it later in life.

flatstateclimber

Dec 17, 2005, 6:56 PM
Post #7 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had climbed for nearly a year before my first injury. A stupid boulder problem at the gym spit me off. I simultaneously sprained my right ankle in a wierd spot and hyperextended my left knee. Ankle still bothers me now and again on an off-balance landing.

Since then, I tweaked a tendon in my left wrist. Put me out for 2 weeks and took a while to fully recover from. At HP40 a month ago, did the same thing to my left wrist. I'm wary of pockets now, but my footwork has improved dramatically because of them.

I'm crossing my fingers to stay healthy (makes it hard to crimp though!)

Partner angry

Dec 17, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever since Bellyful of Bad Berries this fall, My right ankle has been stiff. It hasn't messed up my climbing though.

ihategrigris

Dec 17, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When leading my first 5.10a this summer, i took a big whipper at the crux (yes, you hardmen... some people still find cruxs on 10as) and my arm pulled out from under a flake, I got a nice, long deep cut going all the way across the inside of my forearm. The scar is cool looking.

jeapord

Dec 18, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #10 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a 12-foot ground fall on one of my first trad leads last weeked, I didn't break anything, my right knee and hip are just now back to normal, barely any soreness now. I just went limp when I fell, If I would have tensed up, I wouldn't be a climber for a while, I would be a crip.

pawilkes

Dec 18, 2005, 1:32 AM
Post #11 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a couple months after i started climbing i took a fall right above a ledge and got tangled up in the rope below me. i ended up messing up an ankle but i don't know if i did any tendon/ligament damage. i broke my knee on a fall about 4 years after i started climbing. that one sucked

kobaz

Dec 18, 2005, 1:38 AM
Post #12 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I took a 12-foot ground fall on one of my first trad leads last weeked, I didn't break anything, my right knee and hip are just now back to normal, barely any soreness now. I just went limp when I fell, If I would have tensed up, I wouldn't be a climber for a while, I would be a crip.

Just curious, was it because pro pulled, or you didnt have any in?

My first climbing injury (other than flappers from pulling on too much plastic) was this past september when I came back home from an easy day of climbing at eldo (we climbed two short easy one pitch routes before it rained on us). I got home and was making myself some lunch, I grabbed a cup and I got a shooting pain in my ring finger, I took off 5 weeks from climbing because it still hurt if I moved my finger in certain ways. I wasn't even crimping on the cup!

onsight_endorphines

Dec 18, 2005, 2:00 AM
Post #13 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The day before yesterday: Big dyno waaaay out left and up to a jug. Caught the jug with both hands, slipped off, making it a classic "Drive-By". Headed to the ground body-sideways, my left foot hits first and rolls outwards. There are all kinds of terrible "clunk-kachunk-chunk" sounds as everything in my ankle is forced out of place upon impact.

Today it's still quite swollen, but no discoloration, and I can weight it. Moderate sprain I guess. Doctor on Monday.

Conclusion: Didn't have time to set up for the landing because of the short, high speed (horizontal) dyno. MISTAKE for not recognizing this danger.

jeapord

Dec 18, 2005, 2:05 AM
Post #14 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

from the ground, I had placed a Camalot as high in the crack as I could reach. I climb up on the ledge 11-12 feet high and was probably as high from the pro as it was from the ground. I placed a nut while standing on the ledge( a HUGE ledge) As a beginner trad climber, I was checking the nut's stability and it popped out an I fell off of the ledge and land on my feet and sunk to the ground, even though the belayer had the roped locked off. At least now I know not to put the that much weight on sketchy pro.

jitterbugclimb

Dec 18, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #15 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first was a bout of tendonitis in the elbow in my first year from doing too many pullups too fast. A year or so later, strained a rotator cuff-which completely healed with TLC. Had an old back injury from work that was reinjured from a 7 foot fall on my arse from a V9 boulder problem. Sounds like alot, but considering how hard I push myself I'm doin ok. no finger injuries though :)

climbingnurse

Dec 18, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #16 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right before I started taking climbing seriously I was preparing for a trip up the Grand Teton. I was training by bouldering in a gym. (Flame away.) Anyway, I totally burnt out both forearms.

The next day I am riding my bike across the UPenn campus and hit a bump in the sidewalk. The wheel starts to turn and I don't have the grip strength to stop it. The bike ceases all forward motion as the wheel gets perpendicular to my trajectory and my body goes airborn.

I was in the air for a long time. Long enough to see the Penn kids looking at me with mouths agape. By instinct I wrap my right arm around my un-helmeted head. (Another flame opportunity.) I executed a perfect superman landing and tore all the skin off my right forearm and elbow. Also shredded my favorite pair of pants.

And thus my first (and only serious) climbing injury.

tirroth

Dec 18, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #17 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing in January of '05. I just injured myself quite severly on November.4. I was climbing at my local climbing gym and missed a dyno while bouldering, i fell roughly 10 or so feet on the mats on the side of my right ankle and dislocated it quite nicely. Luckily I did not break or tear anything. Just yesterday I was able to get my cast off and am currently in an aircast for probably another 3-6 weeks. I am hoping to get back to climbing in a month or so, but I really don't know. My ankle is still swollen/bruised and has a range of motion of about an inch.

YAY me!! Hopefully I am getting my injury out of the way early in my climbing life.

welikoa

Dec 18, 2005, 4:38 AM
Post #18 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was definitely the I can do anything you throw at me climber when I first started. My very first sport lead was a 10 plus (looked easy I thought). Clipped first bolt, went to clip the second boltm about 20 feet up now and totally missed it. I hadnt really thought about the concept of "decking" and I totally slammed into the ground and rolled over the edge of el cajon mt high up. Belayer caught me. I had so much adrenaline in my body I just went back up out of sheer hate and did the damn thing. Then my wrist began to hurt, then my heel, then my groin area :) I couldnt climb for 6 monhts, because of a fractured wrist, shattered feel (still feel that one years later) and a pulled groin. Nice first lead !

miavzero

Dec 18, 2005, 8:35 AM
Post #19 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ever since Bellyful of Bad Berries this fall, My right ankles has been stiff. It hasn't messed up my climbing though.
"...trying a 12c...HUDGE dyno...falling off a v9"

You guys are badasses.
I got a real nasty case of golfers elbow from beating off to the Metolius catalog.

getsomeethics

Dec 18, 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #20 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

joes valley march 2000.

don t recall the name of the problem but it was to the left of big boy, on whatever that boulder was...

had tried the move about 3 times after a good day of bouldering and was not getting far on it. spotted some friends for about 15 minutes or so and then uttered the words, i will give it one more try. got my tired self to the point i was falling off at and then a loud "pop" audible to others 20 feet away. 2 pulleys torn in my left index finger. for the last month of the road trip i was captain spotter. 8 months off and i was climbing again.

...and it was caught on film!

Before...

http://www.toddfreeimages.com/before.jpg

After...

http://www.toddfreeimages.com/after.jpg

ericbeyeler

Dec 19, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #21 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Two weeks ago, on my home wall...
On the overhanging section, crimped hard and pulled down hard. POP! Uh-oh, that wasn't a good sound...
A2 pulley right ring finger... wasn't too serious, I can still use it in what will now be my preferred grip - open hand! Should be 100% by spring. At least it happened during winter.

squierbypetzl

Dec 19, 2005, 4:56 AM
Post #22 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to take 5.5 months off beginning january 05 because I sprained my left shoulder. I had been told it would work fine again in a month, but 5.5 months later I still had problems lifting up my backpack, so SCREW IT!! I climbed and it was good. Then I found out that I may (or may not, 2 out of 3 doctors didnīt appear to notice anything) have fissured my scapula... I dunno.

Then about 2 and a bit months ago I got tendinitis in both index fingers. Yay! Feck the world!! A week ago at a check up, I was told that I had the same problem in my (right) thumb, index, middle and ring fingers, and in my (left) ring, middle and index fingers. So unless I figure out how to climb overhangs with just my pinkies, Iīm gonna stay out of the main game during this holiday season...

scottman13

Dec 19, 2005, 5:01 AM
Post #23 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recentley strained both of my A1 pulleys. Thats a tendon in youre ring finger. It sucks because i am on a climbing team and i climb three times a week. It makes it hard for two finger pockets as I now have to use my pointer finger and middle finger for them. I also cannot tape it because it is too far up my fingers.

climberforhim

Dec 19, 2005, 5:04 AM
Post #24 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

last monday i fell and cut my arm wide open on the rock while repelling and got seven steches

tantrikclimber

Dec 19, 2005, 5:08 AM
Post #25 of 36 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 4 months back I took a fall while bouldering at the gym on a orizontal roof...feel sideways crushing my right knee....tore the ACL and fractured my meniscus. Had surgery 2 weeks later. that pretty much took care of the fall climbing season, not to mention the forthcoming spring one as well. I started mild TRing a couple of weeks ago though....full recovery could be upto a year they say :(

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook