Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

madrock

Dec 19, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #26 of 61 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to mark my rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sharpie, Marks-o-lot and others may or may not be OK. The problem is that these companies often use several manufacturers (using possibly several different material in production of the pen). What some climbing companies have done is have markers tested to be sure they will not damage the ropes. They then buy several hundred or several thousand from that production lot so that they can ensure the markers are from the same factory, same batch, materials and will not damage the ropes . Safer to buy a marker for this specific purpose.

Joe

sspssp

Dec 19, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #27 of 61 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've just wrapped a piece of tape around the rope at the middle... it comes off after a couple raps on it, but it works for the time being.

I just don't get the use of a middle marker of which I never know if it still marks the middle... :wink:

- Daniel

I met a climber in Yosemite who walked with a funny gait. He said he had broken his back when the tape marking the middle of the rope had slid a bit and he rapped off one of the ends of the rope...

I've also heard horror stories of the tape balling up inside of the rap device and making one big ucking mess and freezing the rope in place (which is more likely to happen when everything is wet because you are rapping in a rain storm).

madrock

Dec 21, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #28 of 61 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The chemicals in the tape thatt make it sticky can also damage a rope. They can also effect the integrity of your climbing helmet. Some helmets more than others. Now you have something else to worry about.

That fact aside, I have taped my ropes and have stickers on my helmet.

Joe

ricardol

Dec 21, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #29 of 61 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use a small knife to mark the center of my rope --

a small nick is all it takes --

--------------------------

joeho

Dec 21, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #30 of 61 (9134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A small nick?

How can you see that?
You need some serious serated knife business to get something visible. I suggest like a saw or somthing.

Oooh, and if you get the saw hot enough, you may discolour the rope a bit for extra markings

hummerchine

May 7, 2006, 5:16 AM
Post #31 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've given this subject a lot of thought over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that it really does not matter if a Sharpie, or whatever, weakens the rope. The center is the least critical part of the rope, and is never put under any major stress. Since we are marking the sheath only, even if this were to weaken the sheath to zero percent of it's original strength we still have the entire core at full strength...which is plenty strong enough. Now if we were near the ends of the rope we would have an argument. I personally use a Sharpie. Oh, and have you ever heard of a rope breaking where it was marked with anything?

hummerchine

May 7, 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #32 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've given this subject a lot of thought over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that it really does not matter if a Sharpie, or whatever, weakens the rope. The center is the least critical part of the rope, and is never put under any major stress. Since we are marking the sheath only, even if this were to weaken the sheath to zero percent of it's original strength we still have the entire core at full strength...which is plenty strong enough. Now if we were near the ends of the rope we would have an argument. I personally use a Sharpie. Oh, and have you ever heard of a rope breaking where it was marked with anything?

jimdavis

May 7, 2006, 7:15 AM
Post #33 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
http://planetsmilies.net/shocked-smiley-9456.gif
The middle never sees any major stress? You kidding me?

Say you sever the sheath, in your example....You'll have some serious sheath slippage, which I think would complicate rapping on it, or catching a fall...as you'd be essentially skinning the rope as the core slipped through the sheath. Also, sheaths can contribute 30% or more of a ropes strength. I belive the Sterling Marathon ropes are around 30 or 40% strength from their sheath.

papounet

May 7, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #34 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

T0

hummerchine

May 7, 2006, 9:02 PM
Post #35 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I apologize if I was in any way annoying, but I do not see any way to put the center of a lead rope under substantial stress. High forces generated from lead falls occur near the rope ends, never in the center. I did not mean to imply that the sheath would ever tear at the center. Just trying to make the point that even at the ludicrous extreme hypothetical of the rope being reduced to 70% of it's original strength at the center, the rope will still be plenty strong for the low forces that will ever impact the rope here. I also think you brought up another good point; ever hear of a rope sheath tear at the center where marked with a Sharpie? Ever even see any extra sheath wear here?

majid_sabet

May 7, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #36 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

True story

Years ago during one the trips to some desert land, we finished aid climbing a face and it was time to rappel, most gear was supplied by local friends so I grabbed the rope and set a rappel, this was a 60 meter 11 mm and I find a semi fat tape in the rope so I assumed it was the center, I ran it thru the chain link and dropped it down, finally near the final rappel one end was about 20 feet shorter, I locked one end and use the other end to lower myself.

I cleaned up every thing and check the rope, the tape was not in the middle in fact it was 25 feet off, so I asked my partner, dude you marked this rope 25 feet short,
He replied, sorry man I forgot to tell you, there was a small minor cut/damage on the rope so I left the tape to protect it.

duncan_s

May 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #37 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beal do a special marker ink for ropes. Alternately get a Marmot Revelation, has a different colour for each half of the rope :-)

roy_hinkley_jr

May 7, 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #38 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just trying to make the point that even at the ludicrous extreme hypothetical of the rope being reduced to 70% of it's original strength at the center, the rope will still be plenty strong for the low forces that will ever impact the rope here. I also think you brought up another good point; ever hear of a rope sheath tear at the center where marked with a Sharpie? Ever even see any extra sheath wear here?

Of course you are correct. The safety nazis around here spew all the time over this nonsense so you're just catching their knee-jerk reaction. The reality is Sharpie's are absoulutely fine for marking ropes.

papounet

May 8, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #39 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just trying to make the point that even at the ludicrous extreme hypothetical of the rope being reduced to 70% of it's original strength at the center, the rope will still be plenty strong for the low forces that will ever impact the rope here. I also think you brought up another good point; ever hear of a rope sheath tear at the center where marked with a Sharpie? Ever even see any extra sheath wear here?

Of course you are correct. The safety nazis around here spew all the time over this nonsense so you're just catching their knee-jerk reaction. The reality is Sharpie's are absoulutely fine for marking ropes.

Ok, I'll respond even though I feel is troll level 0.

In reply to:
That marking a climbing rope with a felt pen can damage it was first reported in 1998. The German Alpine Cub tested a Sharpie felt pen (made in USA and sold in Germany), which apparently was advertised for use on climbing ropes (to mark the middle of the rope, for instance). In the tests the ropes were marked and the marked area was placed at the orifice plate in the standard UIAA drop test. Five unmarked samples held 10 - 12 falls, while three marked samples held 6 - 8 falls. This information was published at that time in the Gazette of The Alpine Club of Canada as well as in The American Alpine News.

Read the rest at http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/...ing%20of%20Ropes.doc

other misplaced beliefs:
1/ the sheath is a very important part of the rope and contributes 40% of the strength of a kermantel dynamic rope

2/ any fall with more than half of the rope out will stress the middle part of the rope. If there are no protection, the middle will be subjected to exactly the same amount vs. any other part. if there are protection, then, it can be subjected to much less( if friction is so high that most of the energy is dissipated byt the interaction of the next-to-climber rope and the biners) as well as much more (if the rope at that point makes an acute angle against a biner or the rock)

3/ Nylon is vulnerable to some chemicals, among which acids and solvents are the worst. I am willing to bet that manufacturer's marker are water-based and that permanent poen such as the Sharpie are solvent-based.

anedoctal evidence of climbers claiming to have been using a sharpie without a problem does not constitute a proof that it is safe.

additionnal information can be found at http://groups.google.com/...8d2d708598e2e?hl=en&

In reply to:
Date: Thurs, Apr 18 2002 12:33 am
Email: "hi"
Groups: rec.climbing
Not yet ratedRating:
show options

>There is no study that will confirm
> this and if there is, it is only "One" study out of about ten that
>disproves
> it, as a false conclusion...

That marking a climbing rope with a felt pen can damage it was first
reported in 1998. The German Alpine Cub tested a Sharpie felt pen
(made in USA and sold in Germany), which apparently was advertised for
use on climbing ropes (to mark the middle of the rope, for instance).
In the tests the ropes were marked and the marked area was placed at
the orifice plate in the standard UIAA drop test. Five unmarked
samples held 10 - 12 falls, while three marked samples held 6 - 8
falls. This information was published at that time in the Gazette of
The Alpine Club of Canada as well as in The American Alpine News.

Last year two rope manufacturers (Lanex and Mammut) and the German
Alpine Club visited this problem again. Various samples of non-dry and
superdry rope were tested using a variety of felt pens (Sharpie was
not among them). Testing was done seven to 30 days after application.
Reduction varied from zero to 50 % in the number of drops held.
Superdry ropes generally had less capacity reduction than non-dry,
possibly because the saturation was less. However, one particular rope
sample had an insignificant increase in capacity for the non-dry rope,
but a 35 % reduction for the superdry. This rope, by the way, was the
only one, which did not have a reduction in capacity for both the
non-dry and superdry sample.

Middle markings, which come with a new rope and were applied by the
manufacturer, are safe. Do rope manufacturers sell trustworthy
markers? Mammut tested the "Rope Marker", a pen sold by Beal. The
reduction was 50 % for the non-dry and 17 % for the superdry rope.
Mammut tested five days and four weeks after application. The capacity
reduction was more for tests done four weeks after application.

Sanford, the manufacturer of the Sharpie pens, will apparently not
guarantee a consistent product. The ingredients of the pen may vary.
There is no "standard" formula for the chemicals that are contained in
the markers. The company has also stated that "Sanford will not
endorse or in any way recommend use of these markers for rope climbing
(sic), and will not accept liabilities, which may arise from its use."

The recommendation: do not mark your rope with any kind of felt pen.
Water-soluble acrylic paints are apparently safe. No information is
available how long they stay on.

The bottom line: (for a rope, which would be safe under normal
circumstances) there is a risk when the marked area is loaded by a
fall over an edge. Who buys lottery tickets

------------------------

Published Notes from the Plenary Session of the UIAA Safety Commission
1998:

4. Do not use magic markers of any kind to mark the rope. An American
product specifically sold for marking the middle of ropes reduces the
strength of the rope (only at the point of marking, when loaded over
the test edge) by as much as 50%.

---------------------------

Published Notes from the Plenary Session of the UIAA Safety Commission
2001:

8. New work has again confirmed that ropes should not be marked
(middle) with any kind of felt pens. The ropes will be damaged.

----------------------------

UIAA Safety Commission
Notification concerning Rope Marking issued: April 2002

Tests done by the UIAA Safety Commission and by some rope
manufacturers have shown that rope marking with liquids such as those
provided by felt-tipped pens can be dangerous, even with those
markers, sold specifically for marking ropes. The test results showed
a decrease up to approximately 50% of the rope strength, more
correctly: of the energy absorption capacity of the rope (expressed by
the number of falls in the standard test method in accordance with the
European Standard EN 892).

Therefore the UIAA Safety Commission warns against marking a rope with
any substance that has not been specifically approved by the rope
manufacturer of that rope. (**Added note: Beal sells a rope marker
that presumably they recommend for their ropes but it was found to
reduce strength up to 50% which is the worst result for any marker
tested.)

It is not possible for the UIAA Safety Commission to test all markers
that are commercially available and can be used for marking ropes.
Furthermore it would be impossible for the UIAA Safety Commission to
keep such information up-to-date. In addition, the effect of any rope
marker seems to vary with the make of rope. Hence, all the UIAA Safety
Commission can do at the moment is to warn mountaineers and climbers.
The UIAA Safety Commission will carry out further research into this
problem to provide practical advice to climbers.

Pit Schubert, President
Neville McMillan, Vice President
Carlo Zanantoni, Technical Director
-------

roy_hinkley_jr

May 8, 2006, 12:58 AM
Post #40 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same old regurgitated crapola from the unthinking. Citing an anonymous poster on usenet? Oooh, that's credible...not :roll: Look closely at the damn German tests and you'll see what nonsense they are, without ever an instance in the real world to raise concern. The truth is the "risk" is so frickin minimal that only the compulsively anal would even consider it. Meanwhile, a rope with good markings is undeniably safer than an unmarked rope.

jimfix

May 8, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #41 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, I'll respond even though I feel is troll level 0.

In reply to:
...ropes were marked and the marked area was placed at the orifice plate in the standard UIAA drop test...

OK, if I ever have a fall factor 1.75 on the middle point of my rope then I'll eat my hat. That would be a good whipper, a ~45 meter fall. Yes, the pen can weaken the rope, but the mid point will not be exposed to the levels of stress necessary for this to be a risk.

It's all very well quoting facts and figures, but please think about what they mean in a real life situation. It is the end 10-15 meters of your rope that get a real hammering.

hummerchine

May 8, 2006, 2:46 AM
Post #42 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papounet:

In response to your misplaced belief #2: I would certainly hope to never take a fall with more than half the rope out and no pro! Actually, it will never happen...by then I have in at least 10 pieces. When I take a fall under these circumstances, it is always a low force fall, and as you point out, much less still at the rope center. I completely agree that the rope sheath is important near the ends, just not at the center. And as has been pointed out elsewhere on this page, I am aware of numerous deaths related to climbers not knowing where the center of their rope was at a rappel...and none from Sharpie induced rope breakage. At the very least, consider this the lesser of two evils. BTW, I do buy bipattern ropes when available in the rope I want. Cheers!

Partner booger

May 8, 2006, 2:30 PM
Post #43 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went ahead and taped the middle of my rope right to my helmet. It's really convenient because now I don't have to worry about tying all those knots and I always know where the middle is! I used a bold sharpie to color in those blue parts you see. I'm sure the marker meddling... I mean the middle markering... whatever... isn't doing any damage to the integrity of my brain.

Anyway, this set-up works great, and I've never had a problem so if anybody wants to borrow the idea, it's cool!

http://www.japanese-helmets.com/...lmetwRopeMaedate.jpg

papounet

May 8, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #44 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
papounet:

In response to your misplaced belief #2: I would certainly hope to never take a fall with more than half the rope out and no pro! Actually, it will never happen...by then I have in at least 10 pieces. When I take a fall under these circumstances, it is always a low force fall, and as you point out, much less still at the rope center. I completely agree that the rope sheath is important near the ends, just not at the center. And as has been pointed out elsewhere on this page, I am aware of numerous deaths related to climbers not knowing where the center of their rope was at a rappel...and none from Sharpie induced rope breakage. At the very least, consider this the lesser of two evils. BTW, I do buy bipattern ropes when available in the rope I want. Cheers!

Spray mode on.
I used to positively hate run-outs, but the more adventure climbing I do, the more run-out I do in climbs where I feel I have the margin to do so.

I came back a month ago from a climbing trip in Algeria.
I did for the 3rd time "Never up, never in" 7 pitch, 5c, I guess you would consider it 5.9XR as there are exactly 14 8mm bolts on this granite slab.
the first 55 m pitch uses to have 4 points before the belay, but that last point before the belay has blown, so you have 3 points to simul climb with.
It is nonetheless one of the most beautiful route I ever did.
It is in the book from Arnaud Petit "Parois de légende" which lists his 44 preferred adventure routes around the world
http://alpinisme.camptocamp.com/...364_2061990558BI.jpg

There are some outstanding routes in Algeria and Jordan that have similar setups. The Nabatean bedouin route up Jebel Rum has 50 m of 3c (5.4 ??) unprotectable sandstone slab. The first one to climb carries the rope but is not belayed as it would only risk dragging the poor belayer 300m below. At the top, one can find a not-to-poor stance, throw the rope and belay the rest.

Those are also places where I learned to turn back.
As on the first pitch up El Carnaiet dome, I had misread the topo and end up attempting a ED route well above my skills.
I had managed to put one micro-nut in the first 25m and one sling and one cam before the one piton belay. I was out of my depths, so down we went.
As on the Ihaghen, after 7 pitches, 50 meters only below the summit, my partner and I decided to bail.
As on...

In the Alps, when you are simul-climbing an arete, you don't want to think about a possible weak spot anywhere on your rope.
http://img227.imageshack.us/...969/dscn0043r4bt.jpg

I won't bore you with more of my pics (or pics lifted shamelessly from the Internet), but I hope you get my drift.

Introducing knowledgeably a weak point in a rope is not a good idea in my book.

redpoint73

May 8, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #45 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yes, I met someone at the crag that once got a coreshot right where she marked the rope with a Sharpie. While not exactly a case of the rope breaking. But it certainly is not good for climbing anymore, and almost certainly due to the Sharpie.

Your thinking stinks.

If you ever get a coreshot, you will likely crap your pants. And completely rethink how 'unimportant' the sheath of your rope is.

hummerchine

May 9, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #46 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know something, Papounet, for the type of climbing you like to do you just may have a point about not wanting to possibly weaken your sheath anywhere. For what I do, I have nothing to worry about. I never do runouts like that, more power to you! It is just a tiny bit ironic, however, that you are so bold as to do huge runouts and yet so unbold with your rope marking...heh. I would think you would enjoy the added thrill of unknown rope sheath weakening...

tomtom

May 9, 2006, 3:30 PM
Post #47 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Introducing knowledgeably a weak point in a rope is not a good idea in my book.

Knotting a rope weakens it by about the same amount as marking it with a Sharpie. How do you tie in without introducing a weak point in the rope?

hummerchine

May 10, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #48 of 61 (9135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa, tomtom, great point. AND at the critical rope end where the forces can be high. YOW.

knieveltech

Jul 10, 2007, 4:15 PM
Post #49 of 61 (4327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] How to mark my rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "tomtom"][quote]Introducing knowledgeably a weak point in a rope is not a good idea in my book.[/quote]

Knotting a rope weakens it by about the same amount as marking it with a Sharpie. How do you tie in without introducing a weak point in the rope?[/quote]

Swage the rope to your harness. Full strength rope AND you never have to tie in again. Woot!

dtew

Jan 1, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #50 of 61 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geezergecko] How to mark my rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Photo of my rope center, with Teflon floss woven into ~10cm of rope sheath. Not super-obvious in a rats' nest of rope, but visible. Not detectable by feel.

(This post was edited by dtew on Jan 1, 2008, 9:55 PM)
Attachments: Rope marking.jpg (82.4 KB)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook